What happened to trading?

Milennin

Took a few month's break from the game only to find out they raised the trade post prices to ridiculous heights upon my return. So, what exactly has happened?

Was this supposed to be a solution to the trade spammers? Because if it was, then I'm not impressed. Public offers is still plagued by a ton of poor offers no one in their right mind (or knows their card values) would accept, except there are less offers to sift through in general.

Okay, so there are several reasons why I think this change was bad:

-Less trade offers to choose from. Before we had a lot of bad public trades. Now we have just less public trades.

-Forces people to play the game *gasp*. Well, some people preferred to stick to the trading aspect of the game, rather than the playing cards part. And what was wrong with that? With the change, people who are more into trading get forced into playing the card game (I do realise how silly that sounds, but still!)

-Deters people from posting small trades. Things like trading a few regular cards for a foil is pretty much a thing of the past. I liked trading my spare regulars for shiny foils, but well, I guess that's not going to happen anymore with the ridiculous trade post prices now.

-Punishes searching for rarely traded, unwanted cards. Yeah, there are some cards that are rarely traded. Like those HG/SS era cards that not many people have, nor many people are interested in trading. Even when posting fair offers for these cards it could still take several tries before finding someone who had the card you were looking for stumbled across your trade. Before, all you'd lose was a bit of time to place the offer, but now it's costing you a bunch of coins as well. Do not like.

-Very unfriendly towards new players. How is this going to make new players even want to start trading? Not knowing the card values and posting unintentionally bad trades is a lot more punishing now. Furthermore, new players probably rather spend their coins on packs.

Solutions:

An old suggestion posted many times ages ago is to simply add block lists for trading only. People who post too many junk trades will end up on the list of people browsing through trade. This clears up the public trades for people not wanting to scroll through hundreds of crappy trades by the same few guys while not directly interfering with people's ability to post trades.

Another popular suggestion was having trade caps. 10 is probably too few, but maybe make it 25-50 at most, or make it player level dependant (higher level means posting more trades).

Thumps up. :) Totally agree on every point.

I hope we can get some feedback soon what the dev-team thinks about trading right now. If they are looking for some changes in the (near) future or if they think it's just good as it is right now.

Have to agree, I used to have fun trading but not anymore.  I've been working the past few days on trading off every rare I own to build decks and then I'm pretty much done with the trade system so I can slowly build up some tokens.   I only play maybe an hour every other day so trying to regain tokens takes a long time.... 

We had this discussion a million times since the coin update and I totally agree with Milennin.

As OutlwaGER said , I would also like to hear the dev-team on this matter.

Unfortunatly it is very unlikely that they will comment on this as they never really did in the few past weeks.

Ben 

Hey guys,

Good feedback.  We know there is more work to be done with trade and trading in general.  Right now, re-fixing the trade bug with cards that you no longer have, but are still listed as for trade, is our top trade related issue.  Honestly, we have a number of more pressing issues currently on our to-do list such as addressing some thorny bugs that have been plaguing the game.  We also have some internal development priorities that I'm not at liberty to discuss.  

Trade will get some time in the sun, but to set expectations, I don't foresee it in the near future.  Thanks in advance for your understanding.

I really agree with you , trading system is drastically changed in the meantime . And i am really upset to see that even after increasing the cost of making a trade in public nothing has changes since many vexatious offers on pub still exist . There must be some system to determine value of cards before making a trade on pub . Like we can have a feature in which a particular is valued at 6 so no one can create a trade until an offer is made of equal value of 6 for it to publish successfully. And there must be some option to hide deceptive offers from pub so that we can choose some honest offers and can enjoy the trade and everyone will be happy :)

Yeah as expected the change did nothing to correct the problem. All that happened was the general public got punished for the offenders that are still offending. Just get rid of the tax for now and work on a solution later. It's obvious that the trade tax idea has failed.

I must say that there are many valid opinions in the first post. But I got 2 comments to make.

As a new player I have not felt any negative impact of the trade tax, I know I can't compare it to how it was before the update, but I haven't had any problem getting enough tokens to both trade for the cards that I want and buying every single deck and some booster packs available in the shop.

After saying that, there are most likely other better ways to handle trade spammers and bad offers. Specially the idea of a trade-only block list where the player can add and remove players from trading if they constantly post bad offers. Although this should be separate from the chat block.

And to finish of I'm happy to hear that the staff are aware of the problems with trading, and dealing with high-priority game breaking bugs first is definitely the way to go. :)

I think one change that might stop some of the "trade tax" complaints is making it more clear that you will get the coins back if the trade goes through.

I think one change that might stop some of the "trade tax" complaints is making it more clear that you will get the coins back if the trade goes through.

even then there are a few problems:

1. rare cards- some cards/items are not a matter of value, but of rarity..

for example the latios promo is 60 packs, but even if you were to offer 60 packs, you might not get it due to the fact that traders that have it simply aren't on.. or maybe you're offering in the wrong time zone

to offer in all three time zones for a week straight to get a trade accepted is 21*8 168

sometimes this goes pretty extreme..

thundurus sleeves is supposed to be gettable if you consistently offer a sr ub for it daily for a month.. that works out to 30*7*8= 1680 coins (i mean it would take multiple days of straight playing to earn that much)

oh and I forgot.. I get 8 coins back.. 160 is so much better (just sarcasm to emphasize my point- no offense intended)

2. combinations of cards-

say I need to trade for commons- commonly valued as 0.02-0.05 packs but I only have 1 pack

so I offer say 1 pack for 15 commons (easily overpaying based on the value).. however since i need such a combination of cards odds of people having it are low and thus far less people will even get to see it-> which i need to compensate with more trades again

3. which pack to use

if i have 10 nxd, 10 bcr and 10 pb- all of which i want to try with to get say a sr sigilyph (normal price 10 packs)

now when i make my offer, i have to choose which of the three offers i have to put up..

so if i offer nxd, and the person is looking for bcr, then neither of us get the trade though i was both a) offering a good value :cool: ready to give exactly what he wanted

just saying that these arguments will come up when you say that you get coins refunded and unless you have an undisputable argument against those, it'd be hard to silence those complaining (personally i just find it a bit nagging to have to get those few extra coins to put up those trades)

even then there are a few problems:

1. rare cards- some cards/items are not a matter of value, but of rarity..

for example the latios promo is 60 packs, but even if you were to offer 60 packs, you might not get it due to the fact that traders that have it simply aren't on.. or maybe you're offering in the wrong time zone

to offer in all three time zones for a week straight to get a trade accepted is 21*8 168

sometimes this goes pretty extreme..

thundurus sleeves is supposed to be gettable if you consistently offer a sr ub for it daily for a month.. that works out to 30*7*8= 1680 coins (i mean it would take multiple days of straight playing to earn that much)

oh and I forgot.. I get 8 coins back.. 160 is so much better (just sarcasm to emphasize my point- no offense intended)

2. combinations of cards-

say I need to trade for commons- commonly valued as 0.02-0.05 packs but I only have 1 pack

so I offer say 1 pack for 15 commons (easily overpaying based on the value).. however since i need such a combination of cards odds of people having it are low and thus far less people will even get to see it-> which i need to compensate with more trades again

3. which pack to use

if i have 10 nxd, 10 bcr and 10 pb- all of which i want to try with to get say a sr sigilyph (normal price 10 packs)

now when i make my offer, i have to choose which of the three offers i have to put up..

so if i offer nxd, and the person is looking for bcr, then neither of us get the trade though i was both a) offering a good value :cool: ready to give exactly what he wanted

just saying that these arguments will come up when you say that you get coins refunded and unless you have an undisputable argument against those, it'd be hard to silence those complaining (personally i just find it a bit nagging to have to get those few extra coins to put up those trades)

Clearly people have an issue with the trade tax. I too am in favour of a free form of public trades. I just know first hand that I never knew you would get the coins back until I read it on here. So like I said it might lower the amount of people complaining. I'm sure there will still be a lot of people complaining. But I'm also sure some of those people missed the fact that you get the coins back if it does happen to go through.

why not just put 1-4-8-24-48 hour trades available. where the trades only for 1 hour do not cost anything. fyi would make things so much more like they used too

Archived