My first Standard Deck (Sea of Dragons)

SinnaMan

Hello, my name is Ben (SinnaMan) and I'm a newbie to the Pokémon TCG, I've started this game a week ago. Up until now, I was maxing the stars in the Trainer Challenge and doing Theme Deck Versus Games and Tournaments. I collected enough Tokens to redeem two theme decks from the shop (Storm Riders, and Aurora Blast). And recently I constructed a Standard Deck out of the cards I've opened from the Booster Packs and from the Theme Decks. So I'd like to ask for help improving my deck, and to know what cards should I be looking for in the future. So, here's my deck:

Sea of Dragons

Pokémon [21] :

• Bagon
  • Shelgon
  • Salamence
  • Gible
  • Gabite
  • Garchomp
  • Miltank x4
  • Shaymin-EX
  • Articuno x2
  • Kyurem-EX
  • Oshawott x2
  • Dewott x2
  • Samurott x2
  • Suicune (with Safeguard)

Trainers [21] :

• Professor's Letter x4
  • Switch x2
  • Ultra Ball x2
  • Bianca x2
  • Cheren x4
  • N x2
  • Pokémon Center Lady x2
  • Pokémon Fan Club
  • Wally
  • Rough Seas

Energies [18] :

• Double Colorless Energy x4
  • Water Energy x12
  • Double Dragon Energy x2

The main concept is that at the beginning of the game a Miltank serve as a wall, so an Articuno, Kyurem-EX or one of the Dragons can be set up in the meantime. Then they can be used as sweepers because of their high damage output. Against opposing EX Pokémon there is a Suicune which can cause further delay, so more sweepers can be set up.

Mentionable assets:

• Miltank: Serve as a wall in early-game to give us valuable turns. Furthermore, because there are 4 Stage Two Pokémon, Miltank can cause 80 damage with its 'Powerful Friends'.
  • Dragons: With the two Double Dragon Energies their full power can be unleashed, and I found them easy to evolve with Wally.
  • Articuno: Became one of my favorite cards in this game, it can search up to 3 Water Energies, or give a present to the enemy containing 100 crunchy damage.
  • Suicune: Against EX Pokémon, I'd like to get another one, because two of them would be more stable in my opinion. Anyways it can cause a little bit of trouble for the opponent.
  • Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott: I use them when everything else fails to work or just nothing is coming up from my deck. I guess going back to the basics sometimes works something out. But because of the dead-hands I'm thinking on discarding them from this deck though.
  • Shaymin-EX: Can pick up Miltank's role as a wall, and it's serving as a drawing engine as well.
  • Trainers (!): Well I'm somewhat lost in the world of the Trainer Cards. I guess I need more time to know the current meta, etc. I took 4 Professor's Letter to avoid Energy shortage, Cheren, Bianca and N for drawing engine, Ultra Ball, Pokémon Fan Club for searching, Switch to be able to get Miltank out of the way when the sweepers are ready, and Rough Seas and Pokémon Center Lady for some healing power. I'm thinking on adding Evosoda, Diving Ball, Great Ball, Steven and VS Seeker, but I'm not sure which combination would be the best (this is why I'm here after all :D ).

Phew, I have successfully written a short novel, sorry about that. So I'd be really glad to get any kind of comment about my deck, I hope not all of it is rubbish.

Thank you in advance,

SinnaMan

Welcome to the game!

Few short pieces of advice:

21 Pokemon seem a little heavy to me. Cut a few, and you'll find you're able to get the ones you really, really want out, out more consistently. I have no idea how your list would work, but I'd suggest dropping the less useful of the two dragon lines, and then Kyurem-EX.

You should sufficie with 1 Professor's Letter. With 18 energies (or 12 basic energy, which is what my Dark deck runs alltogether) you'll be fine.

When you can, grab staples (Professor Sycamore, N, Colress, Lysandre and Lysandre's Trump Card. And fit them in the deck.

I'd actually cut at least 4 Water energy, it seems you're drowning.

And he's the best advice I could give: I run a Thread, called the Dive-In program, you can find it in the PVP section, but it's designed to provide a great start for new players for absolutely no cost

We will set you up with an experienced coach, and if you act quickly, I can tell you (without a doubt) your coach is Tarif15. Hurry over!

Thank you very much for your advice, I think I'm going to try to drop the dragons then as a test.

Actually I have 1 Professor Sycamore, 4 N, 2 Colress, and 1 Lisandre's Trump Card. Should I fit them in the deck, or wait until I get 4 of them all?

I was thinking on the Energy-cut, now I'm more sure of it.

Actually, I'm posting at the moment to the Dive-In thread.  :D

Thank you again.

Thank you very much for your advice, I think I'm going to try to drop the dragons then as a test.

Actually I have 1 Professor Sycamore, 4 N, 2 Colress, and 1 Lisandre's Trump Card. Should I fit them in the deck, or wait until I get 4 of them all?

I was thinking on the Energy-cut, now I'm more sure of it.

Actually, I'm posting at the moment to the Dive-In thread.  :D

Thank you again.

Actually, You have professor Juniper ? If you have, 4 of them, then play it. 4 N is good. And you need only 2 colress. One advice ! Never play more than 1 Lysandre's trump Card. Also, play Lysandre card (different from trump card) atleast 2 copies of it ! Also, at this time, I see you are low on supporter cards. So actually play VS Seeker, if you don't have many supporters ! And as Iron Bat said. Keep less pokemon. An average deck has 12-14 Pokemon, unless it is based on Pokemon for its attack. Like Night march. Another thing that might help you.

First of all as you have joined Dive in Program, good that you did. If you want some kind of deck help, though your coach at the program will give you enough help, but still if you want to visit. Go the Best Decks in TCG. Its a thread with lots of decks and many of them are good for new players ! If you want to reach there simply click on the name in my signature.

I hope it helps :) Good Luck ! :)

Thank you harshu, actually I was checking your thread from time to time to get ideas, and found some really interesting decks I want to build sometime, but I just don't have the resources yet.

Yea, I see that I have too many Pokémon, I'm gonna cut that. As for the supporters I don't know how many I should use, but I hope my future coach will enlighten me.  :)

Thank you harshu, actually I was checking your thread from time to time to get ideas, and found some really interesting decks I want to build sometime, but I just don't have the resources yet.

Yea, I see that I have too many Pokémon, I'm gonna cut that. As for the supporters I don't know how many I should use, but I hope my future coach will enlighten me.  :)

Ahh... thats the biggest problem even I faced when I started ! But here was a thing I did. I don't know, how but it worked for me. As you are new, I would like to give some advices !

1. First thing, if you get enough time to play, open a 95 Card token or a bundle (locked from the shop which usually provide very good usable cards.

2. Second thing. Get a very good theme deck( I didn't bought a theme deck, but heard it is helping new players, so try it ) There are some good theme decks like Dark Hammer, resilient Life. Don't know about the new ones.

3. What I did was, made a deck from all the cards I had.

4. Though it should come first, but never mind -- Complete the BORING (every new player feels it boring not intended to be offensive) Trainer Challenge.

5. Complete the Daily Challenges Daily and regularly.

6. Learn at the Dive in Program Sincerely and very well. The coaches are helpful. And if they have spare resources, they may provide you with them.

7. Always be a fair and good player, no matter What :)

I hope the above tips help you. Have a Nice Day ! :)

I would say that you must less down some pokemon in your deck and increase the garchomp and salamence evolution lines . And add atleast 2 Copies of each supporter except N and Juniper which are 4 in most decks. And you have also excessive energies so also less themm a bit too.

Well, I have unlocked all the Trainer Challenge to 4 stars, so I got every Booster Packs I could (it was really boring indeed :D ), and bought two Theme Decks as I mentioned before.

Completing the Daily Challenges is more boring than the Trainer Challenge, but I guess it's a must.

I'm playing TCG's and other multiplayer games since I was a child, and I have always tried to be fair, and enjoy the game I'm playing. And as I can see there are very helpful and nice people here as well, I hope I will able to be a part of this community. 

Thank you again for the advice and for the help!

Well, I have unlocked all the Trainer Challenge to 4 stars, so I got every Booster Packs I could (it was really boring indeed :D ), and bought two Theme Decks as I mentioned before.

Completing the Daily Challenges is more boring than the Trainer Challenge, but I guess it's a must.

I'm playing TCG's and other multiplayer games since I was a child, and I have always tried to be fair, and enjoy the game I'm playing. And as I can see there are very helpful and nice people here as well, I hope I will able to be a part of this community. 

You're off to a great start, seeking out help is priority #1, since experience is very important to get involved and get good fast.

Great work man. You will grow as a strong player, real soon. Good Luck and Welcome :)

You're off to a great start, seeking out help is priority #1, since experience is very important to get involved and get good fast.

Agreed with that thing !

I like Salamence a lot, it's harder playing with stage 2's but it's a super beast, I've been running 4-3-3 Salamence line with the new Reshiram.  It discards stadiums attacking for only a single energy and with muscle band or silver bangle it mangles people with the other two attacks. Getting two more Dragon Energy should only cost you a pack or two.  Reshiram Turbo blazes the fire energy you need for the first attack onto Salamence.  It's not exactly competitive, but I have two Wally, two evosoda and two rare candies and I get to Salamence fairly quickly: that's the advantage of commiting to fewer evolution lines and stacking your deck with multiple copies. 

Otherwise, I presume you don't evolve either dragon reliably and you depend on the two copies of Dragon Energy to power up both, if you do manage to get there. I've been using something like 6 fire - 4 Water - 4 Dragon, which is too much probably.

I just happened to get lucky and pull 3 Salamence from packs, that's why I am able to try it out.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get more constructive instruction from Iron Bat and the no doubt excellent trainers coaching in that program.

Iron Bat, harshu, thank you very much for the encouragement!

fr33land, yea I would keep only one of the Dragon line if I had more copies of one of them. I like Salamence too, he is like really a beast. I plan to redeem more Theme Decks in the future that contain Double Dragon Energy. That Reshiram combo is interesting though I think I'm gonna try that out sometimes.

Thank you for the advice!

Iron Bat, harshu, thank you very much for the encouragement!

fr33land, yea I would keep only one of the Dragon line if I had more copies of one of them. I like Salamence too, he is like really a beast. I plan to redeem more Theme Decks in the future that contain Double Dragon Energy. That Reshiram combo is interesting though I think I'm gonna try that out sometimes.

Thank you for the advice!

Well, i think only storm rider and aurora blast do contain double dragon energy. Paying 500 tokens for a theme you already have is not a good choice. Instead you can try to play the tournament with your theme deck and got at least a tournament chest to buy 2 double dragon energy in the trading company.

Oh I see, well thanks for the info. I guess I'm gonna go for more tournaments then. I just need to farm Tickets in Versus.

Oh I see, well thanks for the info. I guess I'm gonna go for more tournaments then. I just need to farm Tickets in Versus.

By the meaning of Farming I don't know what you mean, but Farming is a bad thing to do in PVP. If you don't mean that, then you are fine. So don't farm !

By farming I meant to collect them doing a repetative action. So going for Versus again and again and again, until I get the tickets. :) I didn't know it had a bad meaning.

By farming I meant to collect them doing a repetative action. So going for Versus again and again and again, until I get the tickets. :) I didn't know it had a bad meaning.

Oh then you are good !

Farming is usually referred to using Scoop decks to win ASAP. It's widely frowned upon, because it's worse than toad, because you don't even get a chance to play, and you're getting rewards for no work.

Sorry, I didn't know that. I always disliked the "single-player" decks. It just takes away all of the fun.

Thanks everyone for the comments, and the good words!

I have updated the deck a bit, and as soon as I get every card I'm gonna test it, until that I'd be glad to recieve further instructions. So the new deck is:

Pokémon [14]:

• Bagon x2
  • Shelgon x2
  • Salamence x2
  • Druddigon (with Rough Skin) x2 / Miltank x2
  • Shaymin-EX
  • Articuno x2
  • Kyurem-EX
  • Suicune (with Safeguard) x2

Trainers [30]:

• Professor's Letter x2
  • Ultra Ball x2
  • Dive Ball
  • VS Seeker x2
  • Cheren x4
  • Colress x2
  • Lysandre x2
  • Lysandre's Trump Card
  • N x4
  • Pokémon Center Lady x2
  • Professor Juniper x4
  • Wally x2
  • Rough Seas x2

Energies [16]

• Double Colorless Energy x4
  • Water Energy x10
  • Double Dragon Energy x2

Well I tried to cut down the number of the Pokémon and substitute them with Trainer Cards, but is 30 of them okay? I feel it a little bit over the top.  :D I discarded 2 Water Energies as well. Furthermore, I've opened 2 Druddigons, and maybe they fit more into this deck than Miltanks, but I'm not really sure about that.

As I've said before I'd be happy to get further advices.

Thank you again!

Archived