[CARD] Jirachi (Roaring Skies #42) - The effects of the Doom Desire attack are not removed when that Pokémon evolves or retreats

Linnell

Jirachi from Roaring Skies is bugged atm.

Its attack Doom Desire for [c]: discard all energy attached to this Pokemon.  the defending Pokemon is knocked out at the end of your opponents next turn.......KO's the Pokemon that was Doomed even if it switches to the bench.

Currently as long as the Pokemon that Doom Desire was used on stays in play it will get KO'd, EX and non-EX alike.  This happened to my Crobat that was active then switched to Landorus and at the end of my turn Crobat still was KO'd while being on the bench from Doom Desire.

Jirachi from Roaring Skies is bugged atm.

Its attack Doom Desire for [c]: discard all energy attached to this Pokemon.  the defending Pokemon is knocked out at the end of your opponents next turn.......KO's the Pokemon that was Doomed even if it switches to the bench.

Currently as long as the Pokemon that Doom Desire was used on stays in play it will get KO'd, EX and non-EX alike.  This happened to my Crobat that was active then switched to Landorus and at the end of my turn Crobat still was KO'd while being on the bench from Doom Desire.

Without me having any prior knowledge of this card I base my interpretation on the text on the card. But it actually says that it knocks out the defending pokemon at the end of your opponents next turn. Without any restrictions added. And since it is considered an attack and not a special condition it is not removed by returning it do the bench.

It does exactly what it says it should do, so claiming that it is a bug is not really accurate. Although I do agree that it is overpowered. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mefftu

The basic problem is that the moment an active Pokémon is put back from its `defending position' in the active slot - it is not anymore the defending Pokémon.

That's the same thing apparently with all available Pokémon that go to the bench and then come back to the active position - though physical it is the same Pokémon but it does not count anymore as a defending Pokémon to all effects from a previous attack.

And that is the reason why the thread creator has put this game error then into the forum as it in this working breaks the game rules.

The_Iron_bat

And that is the reason why the thread creator has put this game error then into the forum as it in this working breaks the game rules.

Can you explain this? I'm not following :/

Mefftu

Can you explain this? I'm not following :/

My original explanation was first directed at Chihiko what 'defending Pokémon' in general means and it loses its 'defending' status when it leaves the active spot in the players next turn.

Anf of course that is then game breaking when the defending Pokémon is KO'ed on the bench. Else all other effects that affects the defending Pokémon, e.g. 'if the defending Pokémon is ... it can't attack next turn' but was switched to the bench and then comes back to active position would be wrong interpreted all the way.

Edited by Mefftu
The_Iron_bat

My original explanation was first directed at Chihiko what 'defending Pokémon' in general means and it loses its 'defending' status when it leaves the active spot in the players next turn.

Anf of course that is then game breaking when the defending Pokémon is KO'ed on the bench. Else all other effects that affects the defending Pokémon, e.g. 'if the defending Pokémon is ... it can't attack next turn' but where switched to the bench and then come back to active position would be wrong interpreted all the way.

Ah, I see now. Sorry, I must've r ead that wrong.

You might very well be right, I'm a new player and know very little about the game rules. Still the card doesn't say that the currently defending pokemon has to be the defending pokemon when it is knocked out. It only states that the defending pokemon is knocked out. This can be interpreted as it will be knocked out even if it is not defending.

I'm just saying that the card is not clear on the matter and the wording of the attack effect is ambiguous at best.

If this is not the intended function, the card is bugged like Linnell said in the first post. If it is intended to work like this, then this attack is way overpowered since it can knock out any Pokemon in the game for just 2 energy.

EDIT: Mod Poplar has answered in another thread that this is a known bug and that the Devs are working on it, so ignore me. =)

Edited by Chihiko
Mod_Poplar

Hey there!

As stated, this is a known bug. For future reference, from the Pokémon TCG Rulebook for X&Y:

When your Active Pokémon goes to your Bench (whether it retreated or got there some other way), some things do go away—Special Conditions and any effects from attacks.

I'll be closing this thread now. Hope this helped! ^^

When playing a game, I used Mew-EX's Versatile ability to use Jirachi's Doom Desire attack.  On my opponent's next turn, he evolved the active pokemon which should negate the Doom Desire attack.  However, at the end of the opponent's turn the previous evolutions and attached cards were knocked out giving me a prize and leaving the evolved pokemon as the active.  No prizes should be given or cards removed.

I have the full Game long but I believe the bug is seen below.

Game Log Output:

111. jstout's Mew-EX used its Versatile Ability.
    112. jstout's Mew-EX used its Doom Desire Ability.
    113. It is now Noctune's turn (Turn #6).
    114. Noctune drew a card.
    115. Noctune put Bagon onto the Bench.
    116. Salamence became Noctune's new active Pokémon.
    117. Noctune's Shelgon evolved into Salamence.
    118. Noctune attached a Fire Energy to Salamence.
    119. Noctune played Steven.
    120. Noctune drew a card.
    121. Noctune drew a card.
    122. Noctune's Salamence used Shatter and did 60 damage to jstout's Mew-EX.
    123. jstout received a Prize card.
    124. It is now jstout's turn (Turn #7).