Future set thread! Next set: Ancient Origins.

The_Iron_bat

Pretty sure Mega-Blaziken has already leaked somewhere. There is definitely something fishy about this scan I have seen of 8 supporter cards that all have very similar art. Each has nearly identical text, there's 8 different trainers or gym leaders featured each with their own funky symbol thing in the foregeround, left. It looks like whatever they are, there are at least 8 with minimal difference: perhaps one for each type of pokemon? Some kind of mega-evolution heart stone thing is my guess, it looks to be part of Bandit Ring. Also, the trainer cards are waaay too boring to have been ***** in some way. I'm gonna throw my guess out there and make a wild assumption it's an insta Mega-Evolve thing, but who knows.

That was a Japanese Gym battles promo. We may, however get it in this english set.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe a comeback from charizard ex then? a 60 power 3 energy attack on a basic seems pretty appealing now..

iron, we are only talking about starts right now- fire is undeniably the slowest starter in the game- apart from maybe steel, but you can't deny that once a fire pokemon starts, it's really hard to stop it.. and considering that you're crippled by weakness doesn't exactly help you

besides a one hit ko from even the mega sceptile doesn't look too likely and unless they seriously back up the ability to shuffle that damage/ add on it doesn't look like the prize card battle exactly favours them

plus you underestimate the ability of decks running 4 vs seeker and 4 blacksmith to draw into one of the eight..

when you have 1 scorched earth in play and ko an ex, it gives you a total of 2+2+1= 5 cards

considering that you need 56/7 cards for a blacksmith (2 energy in discard, 1 blacksmith and 1 poke out of deck) even then you need only 8 cards..

next turn you draw 2+1 card if you don't get the ko

meaning if you don't have a blacksmith in hand.. you probably will within two turns

1+1+2= 4 energy attached = on average 100 damage per turn (or in the case of grass types 200 per turn- pretty much guaranteeing a ko) and this is ignoring the fact that you'll have magma camerupts to discard from, scramble switch to shift energy, as well as dce to help you out

besides camerupt can be fully powered on turn 2-3 on average which is around what the new grass decks would take anyways so with a better prize rate I hardly see the problem

(personally this is coming from a guy who has played 200+ matches with camerupt-ex+ camerupt magma)

in theory this may not work vs grass, but just try it once before dismissing it

Good point Linnell! I brought this point up in another thread, of how formats switch playability of cards, and that would be the situation with Magcargo, it just needs a turn or so with Blacksmith and then Sceptiles litter the discard pile. I'm skeptical with Reshiram, since we've had a history of not getting the last sets (SF, CoL, etc) so until I hear "Legendary Treasures- on is next year's format" is when I'll be happy.

However, also brought up in the same idea of mine, decks adapt for this situation.Look at Yveltal, for example.Earlier in the season, we saw Donphan dominate, including Yveltal decks. So, Yveltal adapted, it started playing SSU, max Potion and Hard Charm in heavy amounts (3-4) to wipe out the cursed Elephant. This could also easily happen with Sceptile decks, they could tech in a strong water-type, such as Beartic FFI, for example, which OHKOS both of them. It's a worrying thought to think of.

If we don't get Reshiram because it gets rotated out that's not too big a problem.....it could be replaced by Blaziken EX tin promo: 170HP Fire Type, [r][c] Fists of Focus 30 (attach a basic [r] from the discard pile to this Pokemon.  [r][c][c][c] Flare Storm 100+ (flip a coin for each [r] attached to this Pokemon.  this attack does 20 more damage for each heads.  Weakness [w]x2  Resistance none  Retreat [c][c].

It won't get OHKO'd by Beartic ffi and though it will require 1 DCE and 1 Blacksmith to power up in a single turn much like Camerupt, its much easier and more consistent since there is no discarding energy required for the attack.  Once powered up, its an easy 120 with Muscle Band before applying the possible additional 40 (2 heads from the 2 [r] attached).  That'll be a Fire type more difficult for the grass types to deal with.

I don't like the 4 cost to the attack though.....that basically spells auto loss to Yveltal-EX as 80 is provided from the 4 cost of Blaziken plus 100 more from Yveltal-EX (1 Dark Energy, 1 DCE, 1 Muscle Band and +20 from attacks own damage modifier)

If we don't get Reshiram because it gets rotated out that's not too big a problem.....it could be replaced by Blaziken EX tin promo: 170HP Fire Type, [r][c] Fists of Focus 30 (attach a basic [r] from the discard pile to this Pokemon.  [r][c][c][c] Flare Storm 100+ (flip a coin for each [r] attached to this Pokemon.  this attack does 20 more damage for each heads.  Weakness [w]x2  Resistance none  Retreat [c][c].

It won't get OHKO'd by Beartic ffi and though it will require 1 DCE and 1 Blacksmith to power up in a single turn much like Camerupt, its much easier and more consistent since there is no discarding energy required for the attack.  Once powered up, its an easy 120 with Muscle Band before applying the possible additional 40 (2 heads from the 2 [r] attached).  That'll be a Fire type more difficult for the grass types to deal with.

I don't like the 4 cost to the attack though.....that basically spells auto loss to Yveltal-EX as 80 is provided from the 4 cost of Blaziken plus 100 more from Yveltal-EX (1 Dark Energy, 1 DCE, 1 Muscle Band and +20 from attacks own damage modifier)

You're Right :) Could this FINALLY be a useful promo that hasn't been released in a set?

As of June 15, 2015, Lysandre’s Trump Card (XY—Phantom Forces, 99/119 and 118/119) will be BANNED from all sanctioned Play! Pokémon tournaments in most of the world. (The ban will go into effect in Japan on June 20.) This card has created an undesirable play environment because it:

Eliminates one of your opponent’s victory conditions (running out of cards in your deck)

Allows repeated use of powerful Trainer cards

Allows drawing through your deck quickly with minimal repercussions

Extends the time of battles

All sanctioned tournaments will be affected by this change, including Pokémon National Championships occurring after June 15 (except in Japan) and the Pokémon World Championships in August.

You must be joking.

That seems a little asinine.

I wonder what prompted that?  Shaymin EX?  Toad Puff?  I for one kind of think there should be some risk associated with burning through your deck:  if it doesn't pay off with a spectacular win and only serves to lengthen a protracted struggle, you deck out and lose.  Seems fair.

Interesting news for sure.

You must be joking.

That seems a little asinine.

I wonder what prompted that?  Shaymin EX?  Toad Puff?  I for one kind of think there should be some risk associated with burning through your deck:  if it doesn't pay off with a spectacular win and only serves to lengthen a protracted struggle, you deck out and lose.  Seems fair.

Interesting news for sure.

It was the amount of time matches took. It took Waaaay too long to complete matches. It also provides a wide open format for more skilled players. No recycling=No replay of items+knowing when to play stuff and when and how= Player skill.

Above all, it eliminated a win condition: Decking out.

Two new cards have been revealed! That Entei...

Entei - Fire - HP130
Basic Pokemon

Theta Double: This Pokemon can have 2 Pokemon Tools attached to it.

[R][C] Flame Barrier: 30 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, reduce all damage done to this Pokemon by your opponent’s attacks by 30.

[R][R][C][C] Heat Tackle: 130 damage. Flip a coin. If tails, this Pokemon does 30 damage to itself.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Lucky Helmet - Trainer
Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

When the Pokemon this card is attached to is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent’s attack, draw two cards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Entei - Fire - HP130

Basic Pokemon

[R][C] Flame Barrier: 30 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, reduce all damage done to this Pokemon by your opponent’s attacks by 30.

[R][R][C][C] Heat Tackle: 130 damage. Flip a coin. If tails, this Pokemon does 30 damage to itself.

Lucky Helmet - Trainer

Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

When the Pokemon this card is attached to is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent’s attack, draw two cards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

do you think each deck will run at least 1 lucky helmet to counter item lock?

& i would hate to see that aincient trait on an ex cause you dont want double head ringer

do you think each deck will run at least 1 lucky helmet to counter item lock?

Does every deck run Rocky Helmet? I doubt it, but it could be a cute idea with more Pokemon with that Theta ability.

Its an interesting card that Lucky Helmet.  I could see a deck that uses Garbodor or Wabuffet or some other support Pokemon that doesn't attack during the game that the opponent doesn't want hanging around to have 1 attached to it.

Oh you want to take out Garbodor because it's killing your abilities?!  Well I'll just draw 2 cards from it when you attack it, didn't ohko it?  Well I get 2 more cards the next time you attack it. 

Is Lucky Helmet worth replacing Float Stone for Garbodor?  Won't know until its tested.

As for including it in the deck just to counter Item Lock?  Definitely not because simply put, if you don't play it on your 1st turn of the game and get Item Locked you're not going to be able to play it for the rest of the game unless you can buy a turn of not being Locked.  But with Shaymin/Trev and soon Vileplume forcing up Item Lock as fast as turn 1, you would never get a chance to play it.  So as a counter to Item Lock, I wouldn't play it. 

Its an interesting card that Lucky Helmet.  I could see a deck that uses Garbodor or Wabuffet or some other support Pokemon that doesn't attack during the game that the opponent doesn't want hanging around to have 1 attached to it.

Oh you want to take out Garbodor because it's killing your abilities?!  Well I'll just draw 2 cards from it when you attack it, didn't ohko it?  Well I get 2 more cards the next time you attack it. 

Is Lucky Helmet worth replacing Float Stone for Garbodor?  Won't know until its tested.

As for including it in the deck just to counter Item Lock?  Definitely not because simply put, if you don't play it on your 1st turn of the game and get Item Locked you're not going to be able to play it for the rest of the game unless you can buy a turn of not being Locked.  But with Shaymin/Trev and soon Vileplume forcing up Item Lock as fast as turn 1, you would never get a chance to play it.  So as a counter to Item Lock, I wouldn't play it. 

You can test cards right now. That's what proxy cards are for. Just don't get too invested in the idea, since the set hasn't been released as of yet. English sets usually differ slightly from the Japanese sets.

Garbodor will get rotated by the time the new set is released :/ They should recreate Garbotoxin in some way...

Silent Lab, Wobbufett, not enough? And there is some speculation about an LTR-on format. I personally doubt it, but I was wrong about PLS-on.

Silent Lab can be a decent alternative depending on the deck, but it won't shut off Vileplume among other things. Wobbuffet does not have a place in many decks...unless this Primal Groudon thing gets big. Even if there is an XY "LTR" it won't have Garbodor in it...

Silent Lab can be a decent alternative depending on the deck, but it won't shut off Vileplume among other things. Wobbuffet does not have a place in many decks...unless this Primal Groudon thing gets big. Even if there is an XY "LTR" it won't have Garbodor in it...

I was saying if we have the unlikely LTR-on, we could have Garb (among other things) to take care of Vileplume.

Wobbuffet may have a place in decks, but we just don't know yet. Not many people have started playing the future formats yet.

Sableye – Darkness – HP70
Basic Pokemon

[D] Captivating Eye: Choose a Supporter card in your opponent’s discard pile and use its effect as the effect of this attack.

[D][C] Silent Placement: Put 3 damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Weakness: none
Retreat: 1

143x200xBad-Energy-Bandit-Ring-143x200.jBad Energy – Special Energy

This card can only be attached to a [D] Pokemon. If this card is attached to anything other than a [D] Pokemon, discard it. While in play, this card provides 1 [D] Energy.

When the Pokemon this card is attached to is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent’s Pokemon-EX’s attack, put 2 damage counters on the attacking Pokemon=

Sableye – Darkness – HP70

Basic Pokemon

[D] Captivating Eye: Choose a Supporter card in your opponent’s discard pile and use its effect as the effect of this attack.

[D][C] Silent Placement: Put 3 damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Weakness: none

Retreat: 1

143x200xBad-Energy-Bandit-Ring-143x200.jBad Energy – Special Energy

This card can only be attached to a [D] Pokemon. If this card is attached to anything other than a [D] Pokemon, discard it. While in play, this card provides 1 [D] Energy.

When the Pokemon this card is attached to is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent’s Pokemon-EX’s attack, put 2 damage counters on the attacking Pokemon=

Oh my......Yveltal-EX just got some new Standard toys to play with.  That Bad Energy is going to make Evil Ball that much more easier to land OHKO's with, having Rocky Helmet as an Energy is going to be really nice.

Not sure I like Sableye.........if I want to copy a Supporter, I'd rather do it with a Smeargle Ability rather than use up one of my attacks.  But possibly a 1 of in the deck to copy a draw Supporter or Lysandre if needed. 

Entei - Fire - HP130

Basic Pokemon

Lucky Helmet - Trainer

Item

does the effect of lucky helmet pile on? if so, entei might just be one of the best new draw card pokemon

i'd also like to see someone get decked out with N, toppling wind and an attack on entei by fully plasma energied dialga- all in the same turn.. you could land like 6+12+4+4= 26 card discard deckout.. would be fun

does the effect of lucky helmet pile on? if so, entei might just be one of the best new draw card pokemoni'd also like to see someone get decked out with N, toppling wind and an attack on entei by fully plasma energied dialga- all in the same turn.. you could land like 6+12+4+4= 26 card discard deckout.. would be fun

I'm assuming it's like Sigilyph PLB, and it would pile on. Personally, I'd just use the +40 attack with Muscle Band, though.

Unfortunately, I doubt we will have anything before XY, so N and Plasma energy.

Really lucky helmet and bad energy will give a huge support to dark type pokemons . 2 damage counters + 2 card draw , seems actually too good :D

Really lucky helmet and bad energy will give a huge support to dark type pokemons . 2 damage counters + 2 card draw , seems actually too good :D

I was thinking +40 on top of Yveltal. Scary stuff right there.

I actually like that idea: 1 or 2 Bad Energy on Yveltal-EX for 60 base damage before calculating added damage from # of energy attached to defending Pokemon, then wait for the opponent to attack to deal 20-40 recoil damage and draw 2 cards to help fix a potentially dead head.  

It'll be like have Muscle Band attached but as recoil damage instead and possibly up to 4 of them at once for 80.  And to add to it, if I'm not mistaken.....because Yveltal (Oblivion Wing) doesn't specify that the [D] has to be basic, it should be able to fetch the Bad Energy from the discard pile to reattach them to whatever you want on the bench making those Enhanced Hammers almost wasted.....it might buy a an opponent a turn or reduce damage to Enhance a Bad Energy but it can just be retrieved again as to where the Hammers can't be reused any more after the 15th when LTC is gone. 

Archived