Future set thread! Next set: Ancient Origins.

The_Iron_bat

I think it'd make sense that once you evolve, you evolve again (Still a Grass pokemon, right?) so you could go Oddish, Gloom and tHen Vileplume on t1.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Iron_bat

• Aniketdianafury

• fr33land

• Linnell

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New cards from Bandit rings revealed   Vileplume – Grass – HP130 Stage 2 – Evolves from Gloom Ability: Frustrating Pollen As long as this Pokemon is in play, both you and your opponent can’t play

Ampharos-EX , Mega Ampharos EX , Tyranitar EX , Mega Tyranitar EX , Mega Rayquaza EX , Primal Kyogre EX and Primal Groudon EX also in ancient origins set

Hey mefftu , dont worry this has not been revealed yet that Mega Rayquaza-EX , Primal Kyogre-EX and Primal Groudon-EX will have the same attacks and reprint which were in older sets namely primal clas

BlueUssaine

I hope Exeggutor get rotate as soon as this new set hit... I hate to see both Vileplume on bench and Exeggutor being active and hitting for a full lock (potentially turn one if all speculation are correct) with this new stadium card...

Edited by BlueUssaine
fr33land

The Iron_Bat's take on it sounds the simplest and most likely.  I still wonder about evosoda and rare candy, both of which confer an advantage: searching your deck for a pokemon, or allowing you to get to stage 2 without the stage 1 in your hand, both of which might still be prohibited on your first turn.  It would still require a 3 card combo on your first turn either way, either you draw all the evolutions and the basic, draw 3 balls that you are able to play  I think it would make sense to not allow the two trainer cards to be used outside of the restrictions outlined in their text, being able to use them would increase the odds of being able to evolve to stage 2 first turn dramatically (I believe). 

Do you think many people will opt to play Vileplume?  Many people complain about item lock and the deck that currently employs this strategy would suffer immensely if the same condition was imposed on it.  It's hard to imagine anyone voluntarily imposing that condition on themselves:  It's very difficult to build decks that don't employ tools, that's part of the reason item lock is such a crippling thing.

New rule?

This is for discussion of the new cards, not another thread dedicated to expounding on the evils of item lock?

Edited by fr33land
Aniketdianafury

Today is Sceptile Day! A new commercial for Bandit ring has revealed very small shots of M Sceptile-EX, its Spirit Link, Registeel, and Spinarak and Ariados. 

107x149xSceptile-Spirit-Link-Bandit-Ring

Sceptile Spirit Link
 – Trainer

Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

Your turn does not end if the Pokemon this card is attached to becomes M Sceptile-EX.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

143x200xSceptile-EX-Bandit-Ring-143x200.

Sceptile-EX
 – Grass – HP170

Basic Pokemon

[G] Sleep Poison: 10 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep and Poisoned.

[G][C] Assassin Claw: 60+ damage. If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition, this attack does 70 more damage.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)

Resistance: none

Retreat: 1

143x200xM-Sceptile-EX-Bandit-Ring1-143x2

M Sceptile-EX
 – Grass – HP220

Mega Evolution – Evolves from Sceptile-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

Θ Stop: Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Pokemon’s Abilities done to this Pokemon.

[G][C] Jagged Saber 100 damage. You may attach up to 2 [G] Energy from your hand to your Benched Pokemon in any way you like. If you do, remove all damage from each Pokemon you attached them to.

Retreat: 2

• Upvote 2
Aniketdianafury

Promo sceptile EX leaked also known to XY-53

Sceptile-EX – Grass – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[G] Agility: 20 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, If head prevent all effects of attack including damage done to this pokemon during your opponent's next turn.

[G][G][G]Strong Slash: 130 damage. This pokemon can't use strong slash during his next turn

148x200xXY53-Sceptile-EX-148x200.jpg.pag

• Upvote 2

Today is Sceptile Day! A new commercial for Bandit ring has revealed very small shots of M Sceptile-EX, its Spirit Link, Registeel, and Spinarak and Ariados. 

107x149xSceptile-Spirit-Link-Bandit-Ring

Sceptile Spirit Link
 – Trainer

Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

Your turn does not end if the Pokemon this card is attached to becomes M Sceptile-EX.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

143x200xSceptile-EX-Bandit-Ring-143x200.

Sceptile-EX
 – Grass – HP170

Basic Pokemon

[G] Sleep Poison: 10 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep and Poisoned.

[G][C] Assassin Claw: 60+ damage. If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition, this attack does 70 more damage.

143x200xM-Sceptile-EX-Bandit-Ring1-143x2

M Sceptile-EX
 – Grass – HP220

Mega Evolution – Evolves from Sceptile-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

Θ Stop: Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Pokemon’s Abilities done to this Pokemon.

[G][C] Jagged Saber 100 damage. You may attach up to 2 [G] Energy from your hand to your Benched Pokemon in any way you like. If you do, remove all damage from each Pokemon you attached them to.

Retreat: 2

sceptile is OP & whats is good about vileplume? it item locks both players not only oppenent

Mefftu

sceptile is OP & whats is good about vileplume? it item locks both players not only oppenent

The thing is basically all decks rise and fall with the correct items to play at the given time. You have a starting hand with a worse starter and no supporter but an Ultra Ball? Play the Ultra Ball for Jirachi EX and grab a supporter. You have the new trainers card Trainer's Mail, well then 4 chances to get the supporter to help your hand get better.

In case the item lock is on you can't do anything then wait until you draw your supporter. The opponent who plays Vilepule built the deck around cards that may draw with abilities or due to attacks but rather play item cards or just uses the big drawing cards - like Colress or Prof. Sycamore while Skyla or Korrina are then dead supporters. He or she uses the strategy around only a few trainers - most of them to get the Vileplume fast out or a Float Stone on it - then the attackers will get set up.

Your deck on the other hand needs the support from the items, say searching balls for Pokémon or evolutionary helps as Evosoda or Rare Candy or Mega Turbo for the Mega EX to work. But the full strategy won't work - Seismitoad EX here is a dead card as its player can't play Muscle Band, Hammer or Laser anymore and will lose without the item support which this deck is all about.

mega manectric was always considered a supporter pokemon, but do you think mega sceptile can have a deck built around it as main attacker?

Aniketdianafury

New card revealed :

Ariados – Grass – HP70

Stage 1 – Evolves from Spinarak

Ability: Poison Nest

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. Both Active Pokemon are now Poisoned. (Excluding [G] Pokemon.)

[G][C] Corner: 30 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.

• Upvote 2
Linnell

mega manectric was always considered a supporter pokemon, but do you think mega sceptile can have a deck built around it as main attacker?

I always felt that Manetric its self is a great Pokemon to build a deck around by taking advantage of Assault Laser's 120 damage by forcing Tools on to EX's via Team Flare Gear Head Ringer or Jamming Net, or just let the opponent do it for you.  Then go Mega if needed to power up a benched Pokemon while dealing 110 which turns into the KO 2 hit KO or severally damaging the defending Pokemon.  Manetric and Mega Manetric are more the capable of winning games on their own.  I don't see why people pass it off as support and put into play as needed.

As for Sceptile having a deck built around it?!  I think it could defiantly have its own build as the main focus of the deck.  Having that Hypnotoxic Laser built into it's attack will definitely pose a problem even if its on a coin flip.  That's repeatable HL on a whole new level that Toad decks attempt to do.  Spam that Virbank with it and you've turned a 10 damage attack into 30 (with Muscle Band which will be very needed) and then 30 Poison damage which will add up to 60 damage if the Poisoned is still active at the start of your next turn which takes that potential 90 damage already dealt and turns Assassin Claw into 120 (140 with MB) for a KO against anything with 210-230HP.  What usually is a 3 shot for most decks turns into a 2 energy 2 shot for Sceptile.  This might just become the new Hyper Poison deck for Standard, something that has been around in many variations mostly containing Crobat.

That Mega Sceptile will make getting KO's against it extremely difficult......nothing like having Max Potion with no draw backs what so ever repeatedly.  The interesting question is who will its parnter(s)?  Varison? Genesect (if not rotated out)? Lugia? Toad?  There's a lot of potential for dangerous pairings.

And if I'm not mistaken Sceptile-EX will be one of the Tin Promos so getting 4 copies will be really easy.....it'll be just getting that Mega to go with it. 

That's my imo.

Linnell

Oh wow that Ariados Nest Poison is something I would definitely add into the Sceptile deck. Not only does Sceptile have built in Hypnotoxic Laser via coin flip but Ariados is going to give that auto Poison to non-grass type active Pokemon???!!!!!

170HP OHKO's all day long just for 2 energy......60+ 60 from attack's own boost +20 Muscle Band = 140, then factor in 30 Poison damage from Verbank and that's just from that turn. Anything with 180HP or higher means it'll take an additional 30 more if still active and poisoned bringing it up 200HP KO's from a single attack.

I think I just found a new deck Sceptile/Bats. Basically build up major damage from the Sceptile/Ariados combo for easy KO's and if the defending survives the 170 total damage and retreats to the bench or removes its poison status, just pick it off with a Sneaky **** from Golbat or Crobat and set up that new active for the same combo of 170 damage in the same turn. Simply pick off the stragglers with the Bats or use them to set up the bench for easy OHKO's and force them active with Lysandre and/or Pokemon Catcher.......almost no need for the Mega in this particular deck.

Aniketdianafury

I must say that bandit rings expansion is having huge support for grass type pokemon. This is going to break the game in coming months.

• Upvote 2
Linnell

I must say that bandit rings expansion is having huge support for grass type pokemon. This is going to break the game in coming months.

Things weak to grass type like Toad and the Primals are doing to struggle against that type of support.....

Finally Toad might just find itself dwindling in popularity as players turn to more grass type based decks that don't cost an arm and leg to build like Version Genesect

SinistarRay0

Ariados will be hurt for toad along with sceptile. However, we still don't know about promo mega sceptile, hope that it is good

Edited by SinistarRay0
The_Iron_bat

Finally, done with the updating on this thread. Thanks to Aniketdianafury for keeping the people informed! First post updated!

I don't know how I feel about the new grass powers. It wrecks the meta, (With the new Manectric, so M rayquaza, Yveltal and the Primals are out of the picture.) and changes it to grass. We don't have many powerhouse Fire types, that can out speed these decks. They can evolve T1, Lock, OHKO and poison before ANYTHING happens. At the same time, we haven't seen the entire set, yet, meaning we don't know if grass will have a gigantic setback or counter. This will be interesting to see :)

Edited by The_Iron_bat
awesome_guy

the only possible counter I see right now to those grasses are to land ohko's - definitely not gonna be a toad metagame in 3 months- which is a welcome change for me.. i'd love to see some people developing fire decks which actually have nice synergy (like pyroar, camerupt,etc.)

The_Iron_bat

the only possible counter I see right now to those grasses are to land ohko's - definitely not gonna be a toad metagame in 3 months- which is a welcome change for me.. i'd love to see some people developing fire decks which actually have nice synergy (like pyroar, camerupt,etc.)

Except I'd still argue those fire decks are too slow/ inefficent. Pyroar is still OHKO'd by M Skeptile, and Camerupt requires too many energy to attack effectively (You could use TM Camerupt, but even that is too slow, and needs Items, and same deal with Emboar, assuming it is LTR-on)

I'd much rather take my chances with Toad. It won't auto lock us BEFORE our first turn, at least.

Linnell

Except I'd still argue those fire decks are too slow/ inefficent. Pyroar is still OHKO'd by M Skeptile, and Camerupt requires too many energy to attack effectively (You could use TM Camerupt, but even that is too slow, and needs Items, and same deal with Emboar, assuming it is LTR-on)

I'd much rather take my chances with Toad. It won't auto lock us BEFORE our first turn, at least.

I actually think that as long as Reshiram is still in the rotation, we'll see an easy spike in Reshiram based decks.  That Outrage would only get stronger from any damage it takes from poison (as long as its not KO'd by Assassin Strike the fallowing turn) but the real kicker would how easy it is to set up Blue Flare.  A single energy attachment for the turn and 1 Blacksmith would power up Blue Flare that turn for 240 without Muscle Band due to weakness.  That kind of 1 turn damage would throw the new grass decks way back as they would only get 1 energy attachment a turn (unless using Mega Turbo on a Mega) where as long as Reshiram has access to multiple Blacksmiths or VS (if not item locked) Reshiram could easily Blue Flare again before the grass deck could even do anything worth while.......might even be considered an auto win for Reshiram.

Omega Barrier Magcargo also is a very very easy set up with Blacksmith for its' Indomitable Blaze for 60+60 against EX's with absolutely no draw backs unlike Reshiram's Blue Flare discard 2 fire energy cost.  The Omega Barrier also posses its own set of problems.  Being itemed locked for Magcargo is kinda an issue since it slows down the evolution play not being able to use Evo Soda or Ultra Ball to quickly search out Magcargo.   

The_Iron_bat

I actually think that as long as Reshiram is still in the rotation, we'll see an easy spike in Reshiram based decks.  That Outrage would only get stronger from any damage it takes from poison (as long as its not KO'd by Assassin Strike the fallowing turn) but the real kicker would how easy it is to set up Blue Flare.  A single energy attachment for the turn and 1 Blacksmith would power up Blue Flare that turn for 240 without Muscle Band due to weakness.  That kind of 1 turn damage would throw the new grass decks way back as they would only get 1 energy attachment a turn (unless using Mega Turbo on a Mega) where as long as Reshiram has access to multiple Blacksmiths or VS (if not item locked) Reshiram could easily Blue Flare again before the grass deck could even do anything worth while.......might even be considered an auto win for Reshiram.

Omega Barrier Magcargo also is a very very easy set up with Blacksmith for its' Indomitable Blaze for 60+60 against EX's with absolutely no draw backs unlike Reshiram's Blue Flare discard 2 fire energy cost.  The Omega Barrier also posses its own set of problems.  Being itemed locked for Magcargo is kinda an issue since it slows down the evolution play not being able to use Evo Soda or Ultra Ball to quickly search out Magcargo.   

Good point Linnell! I brought this point up in another thread, of how formats switch playability of cards, and that would be the situation with Magcargo, it just needs a turn or so with Blacksmith and then Sceptiles litter the discard pile. I'm skeptical with Reshiram, since we've had a history of not getting the last sets (SF, CoL, etc) so until I hear "Legendary Treasures- on is next year's format" is when I'll be happy.

However, also brought up in the same idea of mine, decks adapt for this situation.Look at Yveltal, for example.Earlier in the season, we saw Donphan dominate, including Yveltal decks. So, Yveltal adapted, it started playing SSU, max Potion and Hard Charm in heavy amounts (3-4) to wipe out the cursed Elephant. This could also easily happen with Sceptile decks, they could tech in a strong water-type, such as Beartic FFI, for example, which OHKOS both of them. It's a worrying thought to think of.

fr33land

Maybe there's a 'forest fire' stadium, with a similar effect for fire pokemon.  Or maybe a delta evolver for fire-types.  Though scorched earth is already a good stadium with the card package that came from Flasfire.  Primal's Heat Blow  Blaziken has the best low energy cost only discard one 100 damage attack, Wide Lens Burning Shot Blaziken would be sick.  I'm really sad if Reshiram gets rotated, it and Zekrom are such good basic pokemon and they have awesome looking cards.  Pyroar was purposely targeted because of complaints, I'm sure, Megas totally nullify its advantage now that they're so commonly  played.

Aniketdianafury

New set XY8 Set arriving in September, Possible New Mechanic Or Theme :

The latest Rayquaza Mega Battle tournaments displayed a teaser advertisement for the next set, announcing it will be released in Japan late September. The advertisement displayed two words “Break Evolution.” It did not however explain what those words meant, though it’s obviously referring to either the theme of the set or a new mechanic.

Evolutions always have trouble in the TCG because they’re a lot harder to get out, especially when there’s big Basic Pokemon running around, so perhaps Pokemon Card Laboratory will be addressing this issue with the new set. They’re already experimenting with this for Grass-types in Bandit rings with Giant Plant Forest. Who knows though?

Edited by Aniketdianafury
  • Upvote 1
The_Iron_bat

New set XY8 Set arriving in September, Possible New Mechanic Or Theme :

The latest Rayquaza Mega Battle tournaments displayed a teaser advertisement for the next set, announcing it will be released in Japan late September. The advertisement displayed two words “Break Evolution.” It did not however explain what those words meant, though it’s obviously referring to either the theme of the set or a new mechanic.

Evolutions always have trouble in the TCG because they’re a lot harder to get out, especially when there’s big Basic Pokemon running around, so perhaps Pokemon Card Laboratory will be addressing this issue with the new set. They’re already experimenting with this for Grass-types in Bandit rings with Giant Plant Forest. Who knows though?

I'm not going to worry about XY8 until scans start leaking. But if it's a new evolution, it could be very interestiong.

awesome_guy

actually iron.. I was just looking at the fire type pokemon- and most can land an easy hit on all grass types

for example camerupt may look hard to set up with a four energy attack.. but considering the number of ways you can get that out, you can definitely see an advantage- if you have 2 fire energy, a dce and an ultra ball, it's turn 1 fully powered- two energy discardable which can ko the majority of grass type exs

also considering attack number one can deal between 100 and 160 depending on if muscle banded or not, it may not be such a terrible option..

and magcargo isn't so bad either as long as you can find a stalling partner like wobbuffet or bats to go with it- basically stick all of your basics out on turn one and play your evos as you draw into them- maybe with shaymin or juniper, etc.

even the item lock vileplume would only provide a niche for that other pyroar that everyone overlooks- when you consider it, it provides two lysandres for every one blacksmith used..

plus item lock vileplume needs two evolutions to finish that lock, and i'm sure a fire deck speeded up with trainers mail, ultra balls, blacksmiths jirachi's and shaymins won't have far too much of a problem with it

also I don't believe beartic ffi can ohko reshiram without a muscle band..

Edited by awesome_guy
fr33land

Pretty sure Mega-Blaziken has already leaked somewhere. There is definitely something fishy about this scan I have seen of 8 supporter cards that all have very similar art. Each has nearly identical text, there's 8 different trainers or gym leaders featured each with their own funky symbol thing in the foregeround, left. It looks like whatever they are, there are at least 8 with minimal difference: perhaps one for each type of pokemon? Some kind of mega-evolution heart stone thing is my guess, it looks to be part of Bandit Ring. Also, the trainer cards are waaay too boring to have been ***** in some way. I'm gonna throw my guess out there and make a wild assumption it's an insta Mega-Evolve thing, but who knows.

The_Iron_bat

actually iron.. I was just looking at the fire type pokemon- and most can land an easy hit on all grass types

for example camerupt may look hard to set up with a four energy attack.. but considering the number of ways you can get that out, you can definitely see an advantage- if you have 2 fire energy, a dce and an ultra ball, it's turn 1 fully powered- two energy discardable which can ko the majority of grass type exs

also considering attack number one can deal between 100 and 160 depending on if muscle banded or not, it may not be such a terrible option..

and magcargo isn't so bad either as long as you can find a stalling partner like wobbuffet or bats to go with it- basically stick all of your basics out on turn one and play your evos as you draw into them- maybe with shaymin or juniper, etc.

even the item lock vileplume would only provide a niche for that other pyroar that everyone overlooks- when you consider it, it provides two lysandres for every one blacksmith used..

plus item lock vileplume needs two evolutions to finish that lock, and i'm sure a fire deck speeded up with trainers mail, ultra balls, blacksmiths jirachi's and shaymins won't have far too much of a problem with it

also I don't believe beartic ffi can ohko reshiram without a muscle band..

I've been messing around with Camerupt, and DCE+ Blacksith doesn't happen turn after turn. There isn't a consistent way (yet) to effectively use Camerupt. The first attack could put some pressure on Vileplume or an unevolved Sceptile EX.

Swarming with Magcargo is definately an option, though. The problem is that the swarm disappears quickly, and as does the set up Magcargo. If the player is smart, then they'll hit the benched, or include the Beartic (Which OHKOs Magcargo, by the way) 

The second Pyroar works well for catchering Vileplume, I agree. Lysandre Isn't locked, and since most decks probably won't have the space for that to be viable in most decks.

Beartic having a Muscle Band isn't an issue. Just put one on, and then OHKOS on Reshiram.