Future set thread! Next set: Ancient Origins.

The_Iron_bat

Hello PTCGO!

I feel like this forum is lacking one thing: News. We gave very good trading, PVP and Deck help, but we lack in proficient news sources. So I'll work to bring the cool news to the Pokemon Online community on here!

Starring Hoopa, the set will contain 97 cards (excluding secret rares). The new set drops on August 12th.

(NOTE: These are from a 100% reliable source, which hasn't been wrong to my knowledge at all. So you WILL see these cards in game, so heads up :) )

RULES:

Please, constructive conversation about cards. This thread is about releasing new cards from the new set, so what you like and what someone else likes may differ.(Or vice versa, what you dislike may be something someone thinks is really good may also clash) and that may stir some mayhem.

If a situation arises and it needs a new rule, I will create it on a necessity basis.

With that being said, here is the new cards, in order the Japanese versions were released.

Hoopa-EX - Psychic - HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Bandit Ring
Once during your turn (before your attack), when you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench, you may use this Ability. Search your deck for up to 3 Pokemon-EX (except Hoopa-EX), show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[P][P][P] Hyperspace Fury: Discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokemon. Choose 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon. This attack does 100 damage to that Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Lugia-EX - Colorless - HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Aero Ball: 20x damage. Does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to this Pokemon and the Defending Pokemon.

[C][C][C][C] Deep Hurricane: 80+ damage. If there is a Stadium card in play, this attack does 70 more damage. Discard that Stadium card.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)

Kyurem-EX - Water - HP180
Basic Pokemon

[W][W][C] Frozen World: This attack does 30 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

[W][W][W][C] Icecalibur: 130 damage. Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokemon. During your opponent’s next turn, the Defending Pokemon can’t attack.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Retreat: 3

Machamp-EX - Fighting - HP180
Basic Pokemon

[F][C] Thrash: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of damage counters on this Pokemon. This Pokemon is now Confused.

[F][F][C] Crazy Hammer: 80+ damage. If this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition, this attack does 80 more damage. Then, remove all Special Conditions from this Pokemon.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)

Virizion - Grass - HP110
Basic Pokemon

[G] Rescue: Search your discard pile for 2 Pokemon, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand.

[G][G] Prize Counter: 40+ damage. If you have more Prize cards left than your opponent, this attack does 80 more damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Retreat: 1

Celebi - Grass - HP70
Basic Pokemon

Theta Stop: Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Pokemon’s Abilities done to this Pokemon.

Ability: Time Skip
When this Pokemon is Knocked Out, flip a coin. If heads, your opponent does not take a Prize card and shuffle this Pokemon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

[G] Sparkle Mine: Place 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokemon.

Vileplume – Grass – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Gloom
Ability: Frustrating Pollen
As long as this Pokemon is in play, both you and your opponent can’t play Item cards.
[G][G][C] Solar Beam: 70 damage.

Jolteon – Lightning – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Eevee
Ability: Electric Effect
All Stage 1 Pokemon are now [L] as well as their original type.
[L][C][C] Thunder Blast: 80 damage. Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokemon.
Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 0

Paint Roller – Trainer
Item
Discard a Stadium card in play. Then, draw 1 card.
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Primal Groudon-EX-Fighting-HP240
Primal Reversion

Omega Barrier: Whenever your opponent tries to play a trainer card on this Pokemon (excluding Pokemon tool cards and Stadium cards prevent all effects of that card done to this card.

[F][F][F][C] Gia Volcano 100+ damage. If there is any stadium card in play, this attack does 100 more damage. Discard that Stadium card.

Primal Reversion rule: When one of your pokemon become Primal Groudon EX, your turn ends.

EX Rule: When a Pokemon-EX is Knocked out, your opponent takes 1 more Prize card.

Weakness: Grass x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 4

Primal Kyogre EX-Water-HP240
Primal Reversion

Alpha Growth: When you attach an energy card on to this Pokemon (Except with an atrack, ability or Trainer card) you may attach 2 Energy cards.

[W][W][W][C] Tidal Storm: 150 damage. Move 2 Energy from this Pokemon to a benched Pokemon. This attack does 30 damage to each of your opponent’s benched Pokemon EX (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon)

Primal Reversion rule: When one of your pokemon become Primal Kyogre EX, your turn ends.

EX Rule: When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness:Grass x2
Resistance:None
Retreat: 4

Mega Rayquaza EX: Colorless: HP220
Mega Evolution

Delta Evolution: You may play this card for your hand to evolve a Pokemon during your first turn, or the turn you play that Pokemon.

[C][C][C] Emerald Break: 30x Damage. This attack does 30 the number of your benched Pokemon.

Mega Evolution Rule: When 1 of your pokemon has become a Mega Evolution Pokemon, your turn ends.

Pokemon EX Rule: When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lightning x2
Resistance: Fighting -20

Sceptile Spirit Link– Trainer
Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

Your turn does not end if the Pokemon this card is attached to becomes M Sceptile-EX.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Sceptile-EX – Grass – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[G] Sleep Poison: 10 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep and Poisoned.

[G][C] Assassin Claw: 60+ damage. If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition, this attack does 70 more damage.

M Sceptile-EX – Grass – HP220
Mega Evolution – Evolves from Sceptile-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

Θ Stop: Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Pokemon’s Abilities done to this Pokemon.

[G][C] Jagged Saber 100 damage. You may attach up to 2 [G] Energy from your hand to your Benched Pokemon in any way you like. If you do, remove all damage from each Pokemon you attached them to.

Ariados – Grass – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Spinarak

Ability: Poison Nest

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. Both Active Pokemon are now Poisoned. (Excluding [G] Pokemon.)

[G][C] Corner: 30 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.

•  
  •  

Ace Trainer - Trainer
Supporter
You can only play this card if you have more Prize cards left than your opponent.

Both players shuffle their hands into their deck. Then, you draw 6 cards and your opponent draws 3 cards.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

How do you like the set so far? Favorite card? Least Favorite card? Any game changers? Feel free to leave your constructive response here!

Additional Ancient origins news:

The theme decks have been revealed! One will be focused around Metagross, and the other is focused around Regirock.

Metagross is a Stage 2, 150 HP Metal type, and its theme deck features Metal types and Water types. Nothing else is known.

Regirock is a basic, 120 HP Fighting type, and it's theme deck focuses on Fighting and Grass types. Nothing else is known.

What do you think? Which one do you think is better? Why? Let us know below!

Booster pack images have been revealed! As normal, there will be 4 different booster pack artworks (1 for PTCGO) and one includes Mega Tyranatar, Hoopa Unbound, Shiny Mega Rayquaza and Shiny Primal Groudon. This confirms that we will get a Mega Tyranatar, our shinies (Primals and Mega Rayquaza) and Hoopa (If there was already any doubt :P)

What do you guys think? Do you like the featured Pokemon on the packs? Which of the featured Pokemon are your favorite? Comment below!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Linnell

• The_Iron_bat

• Aniketdianafury

• fr33land

wow.. those cards are pretty impressive.. I see a real use for that hoopa as a shaymin+ jirachi summoner.. and ace trainer is simply mind-blowing

Ampharos-EX , Mega Ampharos EX , Tyranitar EX , Mega Tyranitar EX , Mega Rayquaza EX , Primal Kyogre EX and Primal Groudon EX also in ancient origins set :)

Ampharos-EX , Mega Ampharos EX , Tyranitar EX , Mega Tyranitar EX , Mega Rayquaza EX , Primal Kyogre EX and Primal Groudon EX also in ancient origins set :)

The M Rayquaza and the Primals were only placeholders on the pack image, so I'm questioning the validity of those three, but the others seem legit. I'll update when I get news on them!

EDIT: I lied, there will be shiny versions of the Primals and M Rayquaza. I'll update shortly.

wow.. those cards are pretty impressive.. I see a real use for that hoopa as a shaymin+ jirachi summoner.. and ace trainer is simply mind-blowing

Ace Trainer replaces N, I suppose as the combination draw and disruption card. 

Honestly I can not understand Ace Trainer Supporter as a good replacement for N.

N can't be replaced as it was with Prof. Juniper (or is with new Prof. Sycamore) the best supporter in the last years.

I would never play 3 or 4 Ace Trainer in my deck just to start a game and having say 1 or even two Ace Trainer Supporter then in my else dead hand. Which wouldn't be that low of a probability with fewer draw supporters been played when using item based VS Seeker as a draw card most 4x in each deck nowadays. And waiting till my opponent set up entirely or KO my first Pokémon isn't the best of a strategy.

The new Lugia EX is indeed a great attacker as the new Mewtwo without the latter ones own weakness.

Question aside: Why does this set has the same Primal Kyogre / Groudon + Mega Rayquaza as in the sets before? An EX-reprint in so short times happened never before.

Honestly I can not understand Ace Trainer Supporter as a good replacement for N.

N can't be replaced as it was with Prof. Juniper (or is with new Prof. Sycamore) the best supporter in the last years.

I would never play 3 or 4 Ace Trainer in my deck just to start a game and having say 1 or even two Ace Trainer Supporter then in my else dead hand. Which wouldn't be that low of a probability with fewer draw supporters been played when using item based VS Seeker as a draw card most 4x in each deck nowadays. And waiting till my opponent set up entirely or KO my first Pokémon isn't the best of a strategy.

The new Lugia EX is indeed a great attacker as the new Mewtwo without the latter ones own weakness.

Question aside: Why does this set has the same Primal Kyogre / Groudon + Mega Rayquaza as in the sets before? An EX-reprint in so short times happened never before.

It's like a SR version, Mefftu. It's like, Energy Switch, or VS seeker, as two Recent Examples. I'm skeptical on it too, but I trust this source. They haven't let me down yet.

I gotta say, I think the new Celebi could be fun. Nothing stops it's abilities, it's immune to bats, and it has built in Prize denial. That could be fun to mess around with.

Hey mefftu , dont worry this has not been revealed yet that Mega Rayquaza-EX , Primal Kyogre-EX and Primal Groudon-EX will have the same attacks and reprint which were in older sets namely primal clash and roaring skies but i think there will be shiny version of them in the form of pokemon-EX . So we have to wait for few more days to get the image of every new card included in bandit rings expansion. The japanese set will be out on 20th June in japan and english set will be out on 12th August internationally.

In theme deck news...

The theme decks have been revealed! One will be focused around Metagross, and the other is focused around Regirock.

Metagross is a 150 HP Metal type, and its theme deck features Metal types and Water types.

Regirock is a 120 HP Fighting type, and it's theme deck focuses on Fighting and Grass types.

What do you think? Which one do you think is better? Why? Let us know below!

Wait I thought this set was called Bandit Ring not Ancient Origins. Also, are Theta, Omega and Alpha the only letters that will have a set of ancient traits?

Wait I thought this set was called Bandit Ring not Ancient Origins. Also, are Theta, Omega and Alpha the only letters that will have a set of ancient traits?

Bandit Ring is the Japanese name, not the English.

We have Alpha, Omega, Delta and now Theta. There could very well be more comming our way.

In theme deck news...

Metagross is a 150 HP Metal type, and its theme deck features Metal types and Water types.

Regirock is a 120 HP Fighting type, and it's theme deck focuses on Fighting and Grass types.

What do you think? Which one is better? Why? Let us know below!

Well regirock is basic and i believe that it will have more good attacks as compared to the promo that came in roaring skies blisters. Metagross is metal type but since it is stage-2 , it will take some time for him to evolve. Bot if meta got much more good attacks than regirock then i believe that metagross theme deck will be better . Still can't say anything since we are not aware of other cards which will be included in these theme decks.

I saw this info on one of the sites that sells irl packs and codes.  Didn't get to see any of the cards though.  Why reprint the Primals and Rayquaza unless they plan to keep them around for a while like they did with Darkai and Mewtwo.

That Lugia-EX adds a 3rd my attack is stronger because you placed energy on your Pokemon...aka Mewtwo and Yveltal now Lugia.  Its stadium destroy from Deep Hurricane is going to come in handy especially against Sky Field decks and other decks that actually rely on the stadium as part of their strategy.  Also being colorless is going to make it an excellent splash into decks that can accelerate energy and practically into any deck that runs DCE.  

My Yveltal-EX might have just found a new partner.

Not to big on that Machamp-EX, its attacks are too slow compared to what we already have access to for fighting decks.  

Bandit Ring is the Japanese name, not the English.

We have Alpha, Omega, Delta and now Theta. There could very well be more comming our way.

i hope mega tyranitar is dark type cause we dont have a dark type mega yet & i hope mega amphoros is electric type cause our current mega manectric is only a support pokemon...you cant build a deck around mega manectric as main attacker like primal groudon or mega rayquaza & primal kyogre & mega gallade

Thanks for putting this up Iron Bat! That Lugia tho....

Mewtwo ex has ran metas and has been a huge card in the game since it's release, now that it is finally being rotated after a reprint they decide to make this Lugia ex??? It has X Ball and 1 less retreat cost making it better than Mewtwo, but also wreck? Now not only does it have a great first attack to apply pressure and potentially 2HKOs, for a single attachment, but you give it a second move that can perform OHKOs with muscle band? And for colorless energy! I'm done....lol.

And Machamp is just begging for a laser hah...

Booster pack images have been revealed! As normal, there will be 4 different booster pack artworks (1 for PTCGO) and one includes Mega Tyranatar, Hoopa Unbound, Shiny Mega Rayquaza and Shiny Primal Groudon. This confirms that we will get a Mega Tyranatar, our shinies (Primals and Mega Rayquaza) and Hoopa (If there was already any doubt :) )

What do you guys think? Do you like the featured Pokemon on the packs? Which of the featured Pokemon are your favorite? Comment below!

Thanks for putting this up Iron Bat! That Lugia tho....

Mewtwo ex has ran metas and has been a huge card in the game since it's release, now that it is finally being rotated after a reprint they decide to make this Lugia ex??? It has X Ball and 1 less retreat cost making it better than Mewtwo, but also wreck? Now not only does it have a great first attack to apply pressure and potentially 2HKOs, for a single attachment, but you give it a second move that can perform OHKOs with muscle band? And for colorless energy! I'm done....lol.

And Machamp is just begging for a laser hah...

Whoops, thanks Cwarefare, you brought to my attention the retreat cost. When I was making this, I must've put 1 instead of 2.

The new Lugia EX has a retreat cost of 2. Good catch :)

Everything else is 100% accurate.

Ah, Mefftu.  I see now the restriction on Ace Trainer.  I should look more closely, I thought it was without restriction.

Lugia EX is definitely hard core, everyone will have to have one.  :(

So I have seen these tins with EX promos, Blaziken, Swampert and Sceptile EX, those will be released this summer ahead of Ancient Origins?  Or will North America not get these EX and their associated Megas?  Is there accurate translations of those cards available?

Ah, Mefftu.  I see now the restriction on Ace Trainer.  I should look more closely, I thought it was without restriction.

Lugia EX is definitely hard core, everyone will have to have one.  :(

So I have seen these tins with EX promos, Blaziken, Swampert and Sceptile EX, those will be released this summer ahead of Ancient Origins?  Or will North America not get these EX and their associated Megas?  Is there accurate translations of those cards available?

They are our Fall tins, I believe, and all we have is the artwork, and the type (Which is basically the bare minimum).

Well, looking on the bright side Lugia EX doesn't hit anyone for weakness.  Mewtwo is kind of a pain when it pops up in every deck, I imagine Lugia will be the same, both attacks are very useful.  Do you think Hoopa will end up in Skyfield Rayquaza?  It could search out Megas also, getting, for example Rayquaza, M Rayquaza and Shaymin EX and turning a game around very quickly.  The fact that, if I am reading it correctly, once per turn as opposed to say a more reasonable 'when you play Hoopa EX from your hand to your bench', makes it somewhat ridiculous. 

New cards in the new set 'Ancient Origins'

Vileplume and Jolteon - which have useful abilities 

Trainer - Paint Roller - Item - Discard a Stadium card in play. Then draw 1 card

Will be very useful against those Sky Field decks and any decks which have Ninetales (Omega Barrier) in.

New cards from Bandit rings revealed :D

Vileplume – Grass – HP130

As long as this Pokemon is in play, both you and your opponent can’t play Item cards.

Jolteon – Lightning – HP90

Paint Roller – Trainer
Item

New cards from Bandit rings revealed :D

Vileplume – Grass – HP130

Jolteon – Lightning – HP90

Paint Roller – Trainer

Item

Then we have almost the same Vilepume as from the HS Undaunted only changed the Poké-Body into an ability.

With a Float Stone on this Pokémon before it evolves (to deny a Lysandre + next turn stuck in the active position) it is a better item lock than just Seismitoad as now all Pokémon can attack while there is a deadly item lock - say like Yveltal or what else you have as strong attackers then doing the jobs.

But what purpose is the ability of Jolteon for? Does this mean Pokémon can hit for two possible weaknesses to the defending Pokémon, say a Pyroar can one-shot an Yveltal EX (with lightning weakness) and a grass Pokémon too?

Then we have almost the same Vilepume as from the HS Undaunted only changed the Poké-Body into an ability.

With a Float Stone on this Pokémon before it evolves (to deny a Lysandre + next turn stuck in the active position) it is a better item lock than just Seismitoad as now all Pokémon can attack while there is a deadly item lock - say like Yveltal or what else you have as strong attackers then doing the jobs.

But what purpose is the ability of Jolteon for? Does this mean Pokémon can hit for two possible weaknesses to the defending Pokémon, say a Pyroar can one-shot an Yveltal EX (with lightning weakness) and a grass Pokémon too?

We have got a major problem here mefftu since we know that newer are easily available to players so vileplume will be in hands of many players in 2-3 days and it will affect many decks which mostly rely on item cards . I hope they make some kind of card to easily counter vileplume's ability or make any stage-1 card which let you use 2-3 supporters per turn .

Archived