Suggestion for creating actual Ranked Matches.

Not_A_Bear

Technically, we have a Ranked Match mode (though it's not called Ranked Match anymore). Only we have no idea what our ranks are. I understand that part of the reason for this is to keep children who play the game from feeling bad about losing ranked levels, but I think that lots of people would like an actual ranked ladder feature, and I think I know how to make it work so that everyone is happy.

First of all, the current Random Battle, as it is called, would stay exactly the same as it is right now. Nothing about it would change. You would still get the wheel for playing and it would still count towards daily challenges.

However, we would have a new mode called Ranked Match. In order to play in Ranked, you must WIN at least 10 matches total in Random Battle. In Ranked, your total rank would be displayed on the matching screen, as would your player level and the total number of wins/losses you have from playing in Ranked.

Now, I thought of two ways you could handle the ranks. You could simply go for a numerical representation of what your rank is (for example, I could be the #113th ranked player on the entire server), which is what most games do. But I also thought of another way you could do it, or perhaps you could combine them and display both.

My other idea is to have "Ranked Classes". At the start, everyone is ranked as, let's say, "Beginner". As you play more and more, you will rank up to let's say "Novice". Eventually you'll get higher and higher and reach classes like "Professor", "Ace" or "Master". Of course, if you continue to lose matches, your class will lower to a previous level.

Then, every time you increase in one of these Ranked Class levels, you will get a tradable 10-card booster pack, but only the first time you reach each milestone. So for example, if you went from Beginner to Novice, you'd get the reward pack, but if you lowered back down to Beginner and back up to Novice, you wouldn't get a pack again. As you increase in class levels, you would get even more packs each time you raise up in class.

So what do you think?

I think this is a great start to something and I think the players should get a reward wheel also though in this "ranked mode".

Well yeah this is something what the game really needs. Besides from farming tokens/tickets and testing some decks there is no motivation to play the game without any ranked queues.

This would also help lead to the creation on big tournaments based on ranks.  Much like the invite only for Worlds, you would have to grind your way through the ranks and possibly tournaments as well to find your self invited to the big tournament, something like PTCGO World Championship 2000whatever year it is.  And if you find your self coming up short for an invite, you know you'll have to grind that much harder next year.

Many players would like to know what their rank is and why bother keeping track of the random battle points and tournament points if there is no rank to go with it. 

Archived