Getting back into the game with Roaring Skies: M Rayquaza Deck Help

Abijigoku

Hey guys I just started getting into the Pokemon TCG again and it's been forever... I've been playing [Content removed - please keep all discussion on the topic of Pokémon. -Mod. Poplar] competitively for many years now and need a break, so I figured why not go back to the game that sparked my interest in TCGs. I was  drawn to this set because of the emphasis on M Rayquaza and the other dragon type Pokemon. I'm looking for a really solid competitive M Rayquaza deck list and some useful tips for when building the deck, combos, and such. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the game, but I would suggest starting with an established deck. I played Yugioh competitively for years as well before getting into Pokemon hah. (Got out around Wind-Ups) Among the differences, the biggest is certainly not being able to do anything during your opponent's turn.

Roaring Skies was just released and players are still developing decks and strategies for Rayquaza. Some established decks you can use are that aren't very difficult to play are:

Seismitoad/Slurpuff

Yveltal/Garbodor

Donphan

Regardless if you choose one of these decks or decide to go after Mega Rayquaza, check the in game item exchange forum. From there you can see what it will cost you to get these cards or any others you may need. However, because Roaring Skies was just released there is no "set" value on most cards from it. You may have to post your wants on your own topic, or use the trade chat in game.

I want to be clear, I'm reffering to trades and "set" values for PTCGO play. Obviously this is irrelavant to building the deck irl.

Gotcha I'll look into some decks to test for the time being. I mainly do all my plying irl, just my personal preference. What are some good staples for general deck construction I can pick up in the mean time? And I'm surprised there aren't any established deck lists considering the set has been out in Japan awhile right?

As for my experience... well I played the GB game a lot as a kid and the virtual console rerelease of the game had a hand in sparking my interest, I know that's laughable but that's all I've got for now lol. My locals for [Content removed - please keep all discussion on the topic of Pokémon. -Mod. Poplar] has huge turnouts for every card game on the market right now essentially so I'll be looking to trade and play test there as some of my buddies have taken an interest in playing again as well. We play the Pokemon games extensively together so playing the this game has become an extension of that combined with our involvement in other card games.

I would advise playing here on PTCGO, it's very convienient. I build and test my ideas here, and when I know what I need/want I build the deck irl.

Yes it has been out in Japan, but unlike othet TCGs there are not as many large scale tournaments. Which means successful lists are hard to get a hold of. Also you will come to see that in Pokemon there are no "cookie cutters" for a variety of reasons. No side decks for one, which causes deck lists to vary heavily based on player preference. Yes decks share the same main idea, but it comes down to the 6-7 card difference in the 60 card decks.

As far as staples, again I'm not sure how familiar you are with the game... I get the idea you know how to play the game you just don't know what is good or even decent, is that right? If I were starting with no deck in particular in mind I would get:

Energy

Double Colorless x4

Trainers

Professor Sycamore x4

N x4

Colress x2

VS Seeker x4

Lysandre x2

Lysandre's Trump Card x1

Ultra Ball x4

Computer Search x1

You have seen my Rayquaza list, if you want to go with that for now. But don't use that as a skeleton for other decks, it is an unusual deck/build unlike most other decks that are established. If you choose to go Seismitoad which has topped at every major tournament since it's release, I can show you an established list. (That of course you can tweak once you get comfortable)

That's exactly what I was more or less looking for, now I know they rotate sets similarly to magic and phase out cards as they go so when is the next rotation do you know?

And aside from everything how in the world do I change my avatar?

Yes, every now and then they rotate sets out. The issue is it doesn't always happen. Usually it's once a year around August, but in the past there have been times where they did nothing...

If I'm not mistaken you can access avatar stuff from the main site. Not here in the forums, the upper right corner sign in to main.

Archived