The mystery of Gems over Tokens: Revealed with evidence!

yelsha

I'm assuming this is ok to post, as technically it has been made public knowledge.

As suspected by many, Gems are purchased currency, as opposed to Tokens which are earned currency. The evidence for this comes in fact from Pokemon.com (not Pokemontcg.com). In your trainer club, under profile, there are now a number of pokemontcg.com related options including this little beauty:

Shopping Mode

Open: Account may spend both Gems (purchased currency) and Tokens (earned currency) in the shop.

Restricted: Account may only spend Tokens (earned currency) in the shop.

Case closed :). So what are people's thoughts on this revelation? Knowing that it was announced that Gems would play a part in tournament participation, this essentially means you have to pay to play in tournaments, as well as paying for your booster codes.

gg good job

Well, I knew this would be the case for several months now, I just never told anyone.

Yeah that's what everyone suspected, given that "gems" are the most common name used of purcahsed currency among websites, gaming stores, mmorpgs, etc.

It'd make more sense to me if there were both Token and Gem tournaments. X tournament would cost any amount of X to pay, but if you win (or even the top 3, no idea how it'd work), you get any amount of X currency. So, I rather think we'll get something like that.

Archived