Emerald Break! (Japanese commentator voice)

Cwarfare718

This is a list I've been testing for Colorless Mega Rayquaza. I have spoken to many players in real life regarding the deck's potential, viability in this format and varying lists. There are some disagreements as it pertains to the "best" list...but the 3 things that are agreed upon at the moment are:

1. After testing against decks in the current format, as well as decks that may emerge during this set, this deck is very effective.

2. List's that focus on speed are the most consistent.

3. None of the lists play that card that searches for 3 Colorless Pokemon. (for some reason the name keeps getting censored here) I could go into a long explanation as to why I feel it's too slow, but you're better off just testing without it yourself. (Winona)

My Current List:

Rayquaza ex x4

M Rayquaza ex x3

Shaymin ex x4

Swablu x1

Altaria (RS) x1

Exceggute x2

Mr. Mime x1

Virizion ex x1

Pikachu x1

Raichu x1

Professor Sycamore x4

Lysandre x2

Lysandre's Trump Card x1

Skyfield x4

Rayquaza Spirit Link x3

Ultra Ball x4

VS Seeker x4

Battle Compressor x2

Trainer's Mail x4

Mega Turbo x3

Computer Search x1

Double Colorless x4

Grass x5

Emerald Break requires Colorless energy, which means that you can use not only DCE, but any basic energy you want. I chose to go with Grass because of Virizion's verdant wind. Another way you can go is Dark energies and replace Virizion ex with Darkrai ex. Potentially even Grass and Dark...

A build I saw that interested me was the Archie's Empoleon one. It is very easy for this deck to pull off a turn 1 Archie's, and when you do the added draw support to the already ridiculous one makes the deck extremely tough to beat. The problem is Shaymin...Shaymin is crucial to this deck, but it seems to be incompatible with Archie's. One card requires you to have nothing in hand, while the other makes it so you consistently have cards in hand. I don't have a list for this build right now, if anyone can provide one it would be much appreciated.

I've beaten each variant I've come across with my Landorus/Lucario deck but the deck that gave me the most trouble and almost beat me was the one that ran Ninetales (Barrier Shrine) to keep the Sky Field in play and prevent me from playing a counter stadium.  

It also ran Ninetales (Bright Look) for a free Lysander effect and it ran 2 copies of Raichu (Short Circuit) since the attack is basically the same thing as Emerald Break but its a non-EX and swings for 160-180 before weakness/resistance.

It was tough my Landorus was at a disadvantage with the Fighting Resistance and when Mr. Mime hit the bench Landorus was practically useless.  It was Lucario and Hawlucha that won me that match with their ignore resistance attacks, a Lysander against Mr. Mine to OHKO it and then a final attack from Landorus to take out an Execcute sitting on the bench.

I'm glad to hear you have had great success against Rayquaza decks Linnell, especially considering fighting based decks are among Rayquaza's best match ups... My hat is off to you good sir. Perhaps we can have a friendly match so I can get an idea of how exactly you have managed to beat every variant. I will change my list up in an attempt to even the odds :)

Ninetails: In this build Ninetails certainly isn't bad, but nontheless it does not deserve a spot let alone multiple spots. With the draw/search engine this deck has along with 4 Skyfield I can safely say, when I need a Skyfield I have it. Countering it is a non-issue because I will play another one before an attack, not to mention eliminating Skyfield will allow me to discard my Exeggute, your potential win condition.

Raichu: I don't feel that a 90HP Pokemon that deals significantly less damage is "basically the same thing" as M Rayquaza. I would like to point out that even with the maximum amount of Pokemon benched as well as a silver bangle attachment, Raichu STILL can't one shot Landorus ex. As opposed to M Rayquaza which needs 6 benched and zero attachment to perform the OHKO.

Landorus: Landorus ex gives this deck no trouble. Resistance, Mr. Mime and small damage output on a Mega attacker...enough said. However, I would like to entertain the snipe Exeggute "issue" and explain why it isn't one. There is no reason to place Exeggute on the bench unless I am going for a big OHKO. A big OHKO means I just took 2 prizes,and now you decide to take your turn to deal small damage to Rayquaza and obtain a 1 prize snipe to my bench? Then I just Propagate return to bench and Emerald Break Landorus... That's a 4 for 1 prize exchange...

I completely agree on the Landorus statement.  Most of the players probably still need to get used to the deck and fine tune it.

I'd gladly post up a friendly match against yours.  We both could benefit from the experience and see how an unfavored deck might up set the favored deck and on the other hand how a properly built/ran M Rayquaza should easily over run most decks with Emerald Break.

From what I've gathered so far, speed builds are the stronger ones. 

Yes I can definitely use the experience, I'm still just testing. I'm not sure when I will be on next, but if you can send a friend request it may be easier to match up sometime.

Ninetails would be terrible for Primal Groudon, that alone is not a great reason to include it though, I suppose.  Having 4 copies of Skyfield means you can make 4 big KO's, if they are discarded after your turn no big deal, just fish out another and carry on.  Chances are after 2 or 3 big KO's (the kind that require Skyfield) you've broken your opponent or won the game. 

On the flip side, Ninetails might be terrible for the Primal Groudon, Golurk, or Donphan match up, if Skyfield is smashed and your own pokemon is blocking your ability to play it down again, urk.

I think Groudon's slowness means a loss against Rayquaza, in addition to other reasons, but my deck plays a high count of Silent Lab, do either of you think Shaymin EX's effectiveness will be blunted by this stadium?

It might require playing Skyfield when you haven't got a big KO set up to counter Silent Lab and result in Skyfield being Wrecked, Smashed or Volcanoed prematurely(?)

Silent Lab and Garbodor Garbotoxin would wreck Shaymin and while we are at it....Mr. Mime and Execcute as well.  The problem with Silent Lab is keeping it in play.

I typically get 1 or 2 turns out of my stadium before it becomes Sky Field again.  But just like facing Toad or Exeggutor, buying a turn or 2 is sometimes all you need.

This deck can be really fast with its Delta Evolve ability getting out Mega Rayquaza on turn 1 pretty consistently.  It's attack does require 3 colorless energy though and I find that Enhanced Hammer, and Xersic work wonders on this deck if you can keep it from powering up with DCE but watch out for the Mega Tubo's.......just as quickly as you can depower Rayquaza, they can power it back up.

I have found that really the only way to beat this deck is to out pace it which isn't easy and to have non-EX attackers that can get in a large amount of damage. My Dedenne with Energy Short comes in at 160 damage with a Muscle Band or 180 with Silver Bangle and Hawlucha comes in at 60-120 both requiring only 1 energy and only giving up 1 prize when KO'd.

I feel that my victories are merely because the deck is still so new and hasn't been mastered yet so I've been able to capitalize on mistakes.  Once this kinda deck is fine tuned I feel it might almost be an auto loss or very very close games.

As for Ninetales if it can wreck Primal Groudon by preventing Stadium's, if I was the player running Rayquaza, I would never place Sky Field into play or worry about setting up the big KO.  Rayquaza can get in 170 damage with a Muscle Band and 5 benched while Groudon can only get in 80, 100 if it to has a Muscle Band due to the Fighting Resistance.  So it'll take 3 Groudon attacks to take down 1 Rayquaza and at that point 1 Groudon has already fallen and possibly 1 more is damaged.  3 Groudon will fall before 3 Rayquaza fall every single time in a battle of just damage and no Stadiums.

Yeah, Ninetails declaws Primal G pretty bad.

I like Mega Manectric's chances.  Manectric EX too, the thing is if you're delta evolving on turn 1 you don't bother with the spirit link, because you're unable to attack anyway.  If Manectric goes first? Flare tools.

That list only runs 1-1 Altaria and only Computer Search fetches Ultra Ball 100%.  You might have to play it twice to evolve Altaria.

Does Winona only get basics?  That might be the great first turn supporter, fetch your Mega, Swablu and Altaria, assuming you start with Rayquaza EX (good odds) you've Mega evolved and are without weakness, seems pretty hard choice not to include it. 

Winona can fetch any stage of Colorless Pokemon including EX's.  

I think the choice not to include is simply because its a great 1st turn card but after that there's almost no need for it when Shayman can draw up to 6 saving a Supporter and then you can Juniper/Sycamore or even Colress for a possible 11 or more cards drawn in a single turn so, instead of tutoring for 3 Pokemon there is a very high chance you just drew them and most of the other cards you need as well.

your talking about shaymin-ex that is colorless from roaring skies?

not the grass next destinies/legendary treasures that gives you 30x prize cards revenge blast?

Meh, a 1-1 Altaria line and no Wino is what bugs me about the list. With my luck either the Swablu or the Altaria is going to be prized almost every game. Same goes for Virizion, I mean there's almost no point in running a status protection theme if your 1 Viri is prized, you get laser toaded and then you'll have a hard time setting up your other Quaza due to energy discards that a Toad deck is probably running.

So atleast for me, I'd need something more consistent yet still fast enough to keep up with other decks. That means running atleast 2 of everything but it'd require testing to see what you can remove to add that in.

Edit: Also, your deck is pretty much doomed if your opponent is running Suicune/Sigilyph lol. Leaving out the Altaria line entirely and adding in 2-2 or 3-2 Raichu line could fix this. You could leave Wino out if you do this but again, you'd have to remove a few more cards than just the Altaria line to fit it in. One thing is for sure though, you can't call that the best if your deck has Zero chance of success as soon as there's a Suicune/Sigilyph on the field & not enough other Pokemon to obtain your remaining prize cards that way XD.

Hey guys I just started getting into the Pokemon TCG again and it's been forever... I've been playing [Content removed - please keep all discussion on the topic of Pokémon. -Mod. Poplar] competitively for many years now and need a break, so I figured why not go back to the game that sparked my interest in TCGs. I was  drawn to this set because of the emphasis on M Rayquaza and the other dragon type Pokemon. I'm looking for a really solid competitive M Rayquaza deck list and some useful tips for when building the deck, combos, and such. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also this may be a stupid question but how do I change my avatar cause this looks ridiculous...

@Linnell Yes that is a big part of why I'm not playing Winona. Also, I may test 1-1 raichu for 1-1 Rayquaza. Single prize attacker, zero retreat comes in handy, good in mirror match and answer to safeguard Pokemon.

@fr33land Silent lab would not be so bad because I can counter, but yes Garbodor would be a problem. Luckily, it is seeing less and less play these days.

@danielpebbles We are referring to the new Shaymin ex from Roaring Skies.

@abijigoku This deck may be difficult to obtain if you are just starting. Try posting your own topic in this forum, myself and others would be glad to help!

@slowpoke Most importantly I would like to address the safeguard issue. I neglected to worry about safefuard Pokemon while building this list. (Although in fairness they are not common) I am considering dropping 1-1 Rayquaza for 1-1 Raichu, if not I will find another solution. For the record, I have played against 2 Primal Kyogre decks so far both of which used Suicine and won those games...nonetheless it's still an issue.

It may seem counter intuative on face value, but playing multiple copies of certain cards in this deck would hurt consistency not improve it. What would you replace?

There isn't a "status protection theme" per se... Any energy can be played, Verdant Wind is simply a way of taking advantage of that.

2-2 Altaria line is good for protection from weakness, but what if your opponent isn't using lightning types? (Which they won't be the majority of the time) Now you have a 2-2 evolution line with no purpose other than to take up valuable deck space. The same goes for multiple Virizion to a smaller extent, if your opponent isn't using laserbank.

The chances of me prizing Swablu/Altaria in a game that it matters is low. However many times it does happen is outweighed by the times running the 1-1 line has benefited my games. Also, if I prize Swablu/Altaria I could play 4 Winonas and it wouldn't make a difference...

Thanks for the suggestion and obtaining the deck is hardly an issue, completeing [Content removed - please keep all discussion on the topic of Pokémon. -Mod. Poplar] decks are far more expensive and rarities for cards is even more obnoxious. so I'll have no problem getting the necessary cards. This is a different game, however it's not my first time getting what I need for a sought after deck.

There isn't a "status protection theme" per se... Any energy can be played, Verdant Wind is simply a way of taking advantage of that.

2-2 Altaria line is good for protection from weakness, but what if your opponent isn't using lightning types? (Which they won't be the majority of the time) Now you have a 2-2 evolution line with no purpose other than to take up valuable deck space. The same goes for multiple Virizion to a smaller extent, if your opponent isn't using laserbank.

The chances of me prizing Swablu/Altaria in a game that it matters is low. However many times it does happen is outweighed by the times running the 1-1 line has benefited my games. Also, if I prize Swablu/Altaria I could play 4 Winonas and it wouldn't make a difference...

Exactly, that's why I've personally dropped the Altaria line altogether and put in a 2-2 Raichu line instead. There's really no room for 2-2 for what it does but 1-1 is fairly pointless (1 of the 2 would probably be prized when you do face lightning Pokemon, atleast that's how it goes for me), and it gets rid of the glaring weakness that is Safeguard. I'd say you only won those 2 games because your opponent didn't take advantage of this weakness and still spammed their bench with other Pokemon.

I kind of disagree with what you said about Virizion though, mainly because lasers are so popular so you will be facing the threat of staying asleep quite often which can really be a gamechanger. The rotation is coming up in a few months from now but until then you definitely need a bit more 'consistent' protection against that threat. I'm also mentioning this because you don't run any copies of Switch, AZ or Super Scoop by the way. :P

Anyways, my decklist differs too much from yours so I really can't tell what you should remove and add in, I'm just pointing out the 'soft spots' in your deck which your opponent could exploit. How you solve it is up to you, so test away! :)

Thanks for the input Slowpoke, it helps. I believe I am familiar with the build your using, yes much different draw engine.

Altaria: I was under the impression you were suggesting 2-2 Altaria which is a bad idea on my opinion. Playing none at all is better than 2-2, just hope you don't to run into Manectric. But I think Manectric is going to become more popular so I'll play the odds and expect 1-1 not to be prized.

Raichu: I must admit... I underestimated Raichu. I've been testing and I am very happy with it, taking out safeguard pokes while not getting in the way of the deck's consistency too much. 1-1 line working well for now, -1 M Ray -1link. Trying to figure out different cards to drop...

Virizion: Very similiar to Altaria line, great when you need it, useless when you don't. However, there is even less of a chance of this being prized. I need more testing against Seismitoad/Exeggutor, depending on the results I may consider adding in a second one, but for now I don't feel it deserves the space.

I think you were just mentioning these cards as support for the point I need 2 Virizion, but anyway

AZ: No way, need my supporter for the turn.

Scoop Up: Not a good card for this deck or any other deck unless you play 3-4 copies. Scoop Up is for a different Rayquaza build, I believe the one your playing.

Switch: Simply a space issue. I would like to play Switch, it would be useful especially early game when I don't open Rayquaza active.

What's your non ex attacker?

He added Raichu for the non-EX attacker.  Which I'm glade to hear.  Raichu and Sky Field can generate 160 damage without an muscle bands or weakness/resistance factored in, 180 with an MB.  Now 2x's that for weakness and even Rayquaza falls to it.

On another note I'm gonna be making a thread under PvP on how to beat the MIGHTY Rayquaza as I have finally lost to it and now have a record 28-6 against it.  This should help people understand what goes on in the deck if they haven't faced it or can't beat it.

Archived