Lets talk old Pokemon in new Strategies

Linnell

I would like to start a talk about Pokemon that saw minimum play or never saw any play at all then Roaring Skies came around and now these Pokemon are popping up everywhere.

Mainly in 1 deck or type of strategy: Sky Field and the 2 Pokemon I'd like to talk about are Raichu (short circuit) and Ninetales (both Barrier Shrine and Bright Look)

Raichu showed up for a little while in decks like Yveltal-Ex where it passed as solid tech against the mirror match, decks weak to lightning and Pyroar.  It's attack Short Circuit comes in at 20x the number of benched Pokemon you have in play up to 100 damage for just a Double Colorless Energy.  Add muscle band and make it 120 before weakness/resistance.  But this Pokemon kinda feel to the waist side when Dedenne came out with Energy Short for just 1 colorless energy doing 20x the number of energy attached to the defending Pokemon and in the mirror match add a muscle band to it and it's an easy OHKO against Yveltal-EX.

But Sky Field has brought new life to Raichu as you can now have 8 benched Pokemon increasing Raichu's attack from 100-120 to 160-180!!  Giving this non-EX attacker the power to OHKO the vast majority of EX pokemon and non-EX alike without applying weakness.

Mega Rayquaza's Emerald Break brings a very similar attack at 30x the bench but requires 3 colorless energy and guess what its weak to lighting so this mighty dragon I've been seeing people go crazy over falls to a single Short Circuit and takes a nice 120-160 from Energy Short.

How do you keep this big bench full of pokemon?  Keep Sky Field in play....how?  Ninetales Barrier Shrine prevents both players from placing Stadiums into play from their hand.  Now Riachu and yes even Mega Rayquaza (though there are more required pieces to full fill before it can attack, like 3 energy even with DCE, Spirit Link ect.) run free to max out their attacks.

So where does Ninetales Bright Look come into play (I really enjoyed this card in the Trainer Challenge) a FREE Lysander without actually using your Supporter for the turn and it even gets around Omega Barrier.

I'm sure most of these strategies are still in the works since I've beaten each one I've faced with my Landorus/Lucario deck and Lucario and Hawlucha can get in 30-90 and 60-120 ignoring the fighting resistance of Mega Rayquaza.  But I expect decks like this to get really powerful really fast once they are fine tuned.

So after reading all that what other older Pokemon have you seen come to new life with the latest 3 sets being released? 

I would like to start a talk about Pokemon that saw minimum play or never saw any play at all then Roaring Skies came around and now these Pokemon are popping up everywhere.

Mainly in 1 deck or type of strategy: Sky Field and the 2 Pokemon I'd like to talk about are Raichu (short circuit) and Ninetales (both Barrier Shrine and Bright Look)

Raichu showed up for a little while in decks like Yveltal-Ex where it passed as solid tech against the mirror match, decks weak to lightning and Pyroar.  It's attack Short Circuit comes in at 20x the number of benched Pokemon you have in play up to 100 damage for just a Double Colorless Energy.  Add muscle band and make it 120 before weakness/resistance.  But this Pokemon kinda feel to the waist side when Dedenne came out with Energy Short for just 1 colorless energy doing 20x the number of energy attached to the defending Pokemon and in the mirror match add a muscle band to it and it's an easy OHKO against Yveltal-EX.

But Sky Field has brought new life to Raichu as you can now have 8 benched Pokemon increasing Raichu's attack from 100-120 to 160-180!!  Giving this non-EX attacker the power to OHKO the vast majority of EX pokemon and non-EX alike without applying weakness.

Mega Rayquaza's Emerald Break brings a very similar attack at 30x the bench but requires 3 colorless energy and guess what its weak to lighting so this mighty dragon I've been seeing people go crazy over falls to a single Short Circuit and takes a nice 120-160 from Energy Short.

How do you keep this big bench full of pokemon?  Keep Sky Field in play....how?  Ninetales Barrier Shrine prevents both players from placing Stadiums into play from their hand.  Now Riachu and yes even Mega Rayquaza (though there are more required pieces to full fill before it can attack, like 3 energy even with DCE, Spirit Link ect.) run free to max out their attacks.

So where does Ninetales Bright Look come into play (I really enjoyed this card in the Trainer Challenge) a FREE Lysander without actually using your Supporter for the turn and it even gets around Omega Barrier.

I'm sure most of these strategies are still in the works since I've beaten each one I've faced with my Landorus/Lucario deck and Lucario and Hawlucha can get in 30-90 and 60-120 ignoring the fighting resistance of Mega Rayquaza.  But I expect decks like this to get really powerful really fast once they are fine tuned.

So after reading all that what other older Pokemon have you seen come to new life with the latest 3 sets being released? 

If you are talking about last 3 then, emboar with inferno ferdango ability with Camerupt EX. Max Potions as an old trainer though you asked for old pokemon.

Archived