Opinions on the new Special Daily Challenge

LordKieta

So here I'm just stating my current opinions for the Special Daily Challenge. I know the update has not been up for very long, but this is what I have taken from it so far

So my daily challenge is to place 100+ Basic Pokemon

My first thought was,, well thats a lot, but it can still be done

My second thought was, but now more people will be focusing more on getting their daily challenges done, than they will to play the game

Turns out I was right. i can't get a game going for the life of me, because every time I start a game, my opponent fills their bench with pokemon, and immediately concedes

I don't know what other renditions of SDC's there are right now, but I know it's definitely not making it any easier to play. A lot of people play the P:TCG in real life, and use the battling mechanic online to practice for in-real-life tournaments, but this update of SDC's just fills the entirety of players with people just further exploiting the game to get packs/tokens/cards

My suggestion is to rework how SDC's work, or even get rid of them altogther. There were a lot of people flooding the games with decks built solely on getting their regular challenges done before, so if I were in charge I'd scrap them altogether, but I do suggest just making them a lot less exploitable. 

Thank you very much. 

I'm having this issue also and it's making me not want to even try random matches now (which is probably the opposite effect that was intended)

3 times now I have encountered players that create decks made up of Basic Pokémon only to put 5 down at the beginning of the match and then concede the game around 20 seconds later so that they can complete the Challenge quickly.

This is the Combee/Tentacool situation all over again and it is once again ruining the gaming experience for those of us who just want to have a match with our newly created Roaring Skies cards.

Whilst I do approve of these Special Challenges, I don't think that putting down 135 Basic Pokémon is the right Challenge as it can be easily exploited. I would suggest putting, say, 50 Stage 3 Pokémon in play. This way it actually is a challenge as the opponent has a chance to knock out the Basic Pokémon before it happens.

Special Challenge Complant..

As long they are following the rules thats good behavior.

At least you gain a good rewards from rewards .

Opinions is allow ;However, some of us not letting these sort of complain ruin the a feature by giving a negative implementation  

They are playing a game just to complete the challenge let them, but are they are rewarded from the Good Wheel rewards? nope. Instead they get zero.

This " Doing Special Challenge"  issue is not a Exploit or bad behavior.

This behavior is positive. If staff decided nerf the Special Challenges/Daily Challenges than the game indeed ruined,

The same  complaint that was made force staff to unfairly alter the losing wheel rewards. 

The winning mostly made the complain so the winners will get rewards.

I just so no Alteration is needed for Challenges.

Well after 10 straight matches, all were matches where my opponent conceded on the first go, placing down a full bench and then just conceding, whilst I'm just there having no moves what so ever. It's quite annoying, but I know there just trying to complete the challenge just like me, but you do have a 4 day time to complete it, which is quite fair on everyone (unless you don't come online as much), but in my case I'm still trying to complete my other 2 daily challenges, which will take forever now to complete both.

But anyway, I'm just saying for the next Special challenge maybe not do a benched based one, but for now I'm fine with this as you do get the Winners Wheel more often, which could just get you the roaring skies packs quicker.

This is not bad game feedback, was just saying my thoughts.  :rolleyes:

MaSkullzOnFire

Please. Not 1 hour from the update and already complaining.

It's because of things like this that the staff nerfed the Bonus Wheel and the Trading.

Think about how the developers would feel, after reading that the newly introduced feature they spent time working on, was ruining the gaming experience.

Dont let it bother you. I'm sure those matchs didnt last long and you got good rewards, as sterlingW mentioned. You dont know if the players who faced you have busy lives with little time to play the game and this is the only way they have be able to complete all dailies on time before the next one comes.

Whilst I do approve of these Special Challenges, I don't think that putting down 135 Basic Pokémon is the right Challenge as it can be easily exploited. I would suggest putting, say, 50 Stage 3 Pokémon in play. This way it actually is a challenge as the opponent has a chance to knock out the Basic Pokémon before it happens.

50 Stage 3 pokemon? do you mean Stage 1/2 

While you guys get good rewards from the wheel, they will get zero rewards. So i dont why you guys still complaing when you get a better rewards (reward probably worth 2 of those people doing challenges match)

There is no exploit or bad behavior. If they want they do the challenge i will let them to ensure a fairer game play environment.

Its better that Developers not to create negative impacts losers or challenges.

Oh please. Not 1 hour from the update and already complaining.

It's because of things like this that the staff nerfed the wheel and trading.

dont let it bother you. I'm sure those matchs didnt last long and you got good rewards, you dont know if the players who faced have busy lives with little time to play the game and this the only way they have be able to complete all dailies on time before the next one comes.

Are you talking me or the thread poster?

Already proven. those winners wants more rewards to their self. (caused a major negtive impact.

Hello Trainers!

I've merged the threads regarding this topic to keep the discussion centralized and to make sure everyone's feedback reaches the Dev team. Thanks for letting us know what you think about Special Challenges, and apologies for any frustrations you're currently experiencing!

50 Stage 3 pokemon? do you mean Stage 1/2 

Yeah that's the one. I must have put 3 instead of 2 whilst I was quickly typing without realizing.

While you guys get good rewards from the wheel, they will get zero rewards. So i dont why you guys still complaing when you get a better rewards (reward probably worth 2 of those people doing challenges match)

There is no exploit or bad behavior. If they want they do the challenge i will let them to ensure a fairer game play environment.

While it seems silly to argue over a concept that is giving me prizes, I'm not playing for prizes. A vast majority of players, actually want to play a decent card game, instead of watch people concede on the first turn every game. 

It's not essentially an exploit, and it certainly isn't bad behavior, I'm simply just suggesting that they should implement different challenges, ones that equally benefit everyone.

Maybe "Win x number of games" or "do x amount of damage". 

Just a suggestion, nothing more. 

MaSkullzOnFire

Think about how the developers would feel, after reading that the newly introduced feature they spent time working on, was ruining the gaming experience.

As I said in my post, I don't hate the idea of the new feature; on the contrary I highly support it. Adding Special Challenges with a higher countdown and a higher reward is a certainly a good idea, however the dev-team just approached it wrong.

And, yes, it is true that the winners will get a reward but it cannot be called a reward if you have done nothing to deserve it. The same goes for the current Special Challenge. It cannot be called a Challenge if all you can do is put 5 Basic Pokémon down and then concede the match.

If there are dozens of players who play like this its chance is highly that they face each other so that both players would like to auto-concede immediately and then even one of them gets a reward - and just because the other player clicked faster on the concede button.

Really hilarious, but to call this not 'bad behaviour' is an understatement - what if not this?

But as others posted before this kind of 'exploiting decks for challenge goal' may just go this night and will end tomorrow as the players reach there 135 basics in play very fast.

Challenges which warp how the game is played or encourage 'unnatural' gameplay, effectively alter the interactions between players, currently in negative ways. Essentially, many challenges such as the play X number of evolutions or basic pokemon dont actually correspond with 'actual' gameplay, and lead to scenarios where players create decks tailored to solely completing their challenges sooner. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, in this case i believe it is because its ruining the experience for players who wish to play normally, regardless of completing their own challenges or not.

The only challenges I currently believe promote healthy game behavior are the ones requiring you to win games, get a certain number of KOs, and deal a certain amount of damage.
The number of required KOs for the KO challenge is far too high however, as with most decks using EX you will typically get up to 3 KOs a game vs EX, and thats if the opponent does not concede when losing. It would be much more practical to instead count the number of prizes you take, and count any game in which you win as you getting 6 prizes for the sake of the challenge. As it is now, getting 24 KOs might take me 40 or more games to accomplish due to players quitting early and the low number of KOs i get total vs EX.
The challenges for placing basic/evolution pokemon only creates a scenario where players simply make decks of all basics, or decks with only the evolution lines and super scoop up/evosoda/etc to only focus on playing as many evolutions as possible.
There dont need to be that many different challenges for the same type after all, the goal is to just provide incentive for players to play different deck types for rewards, not to alter how they play the game, which leads to encouraging the type of "gameplay" that stagnates normal play that everyone has been experiencing.

In short, there is a reason why games with similar daily tasks (hearthstone) have the only mission requirement being to win a game, which is because expecting things to happen a certain way in a card game either leads to:
1) inconsistency with meeting that goal while also playing a regular game, making it frustrating to the player or providing incentive to quit unfinished games when the goal is not being realized.
or
2) creating decks specifically geared towards that other goal over an actual win condition, leading to ruining player experience for their opponents.
TCGO is currently experiencing both of these issues, and they are frankly making the game outright unplayable for a number of users including myself.

Challenges themselves should be encouraging players to win using new strategies, be it by using different types of pokemon, or with them having to play certain evolutions or such during that game, not enforcing arbitrary goals which influence how they play.
For example, instead of playing X number of typed evolutions, have the goal be to win games in which you evolved 2-3 pokemon of that type.

I'd understand the 'players' with all basic decks more if there was a bigger reward than 2 packs. You'd get more than that by playing through 15 or so proper games and still complete the challenge in the process.

I'd understand the 'players' with all basic decks more if there was a bigger reward than 2 packs. You'd get more than that by playing through 15 or so proper games and still complete the challenge in the process.

The game itself is providing incentive to play the way they are doing. Many players do the daily challenges for their specific rewards on leveling up, not the minor rewards for that one challenge. Why would they spend 15 games trying to accomplish what they could do in 3-4 games using a specific deck? It's not unreasonable to take the quickest method to completing their goals, and the players are not the ones at fault for doing the most efficient method to accomplish those goals which the game is giving them. It should be expected for players to adapt how they "play the game" based on what rewards the game is giving them, and frankly the staff have done an awful job in how they implemented this.

It should be expected for players to adapt how they "play the game" based on what rewards the game is giving them, and frankly the staff have done an awful job in how they implemented this.

This. People spam basics to complete the Daily Challenge, especially when it first came out. Why none of the devs foresaw this happening when they were designing the new challenge is mind-boggling. 

MaSkullzOnFire

Please. Not 1 hour from the update and already complaining.

It's because of things like this that the staff nerfed the Bonus Wheel and the Trading.

Dont let it bother you. I'm sure those matchs didnt last long and you got good rewards, as sterlingW mentioned. You dont know if the players who faced you have busy lives with little time to play the game and this is the only way they have be able to complete all dailies on time before the next one comes.

And I have limited time to play at all so these people who concede are wasting precious playing time that could be utilized for actual games. 

MaSkullzOnFire

I see your point, thanks for clarifying.

Hoju_ca

You make an interesting point. But if that's your case, would you tell me what daily challenges you choose and how you complete them?

This. People spam basics to complete the Daily Challenge, especially when it first came out. Why none of the devs foresaw this happening when they were designing the new challenge is mind-boggling. 

Perhaps the developers naively believed in the goodness of humanity, rather than planning for people to exploit something any way they can?

Just to make it more positive i will support "no more negative alteration should be made in Losers Rewards along with Challenges."

We want the Developers think this is not a negative impact they should create when is not a behavior nor exploit.

Like i said, People that surrender under the time limit will not get rewards and you get rewards (The reward you get can worth 2 games, while they get nothing)

This issue is not exploit or cheating or bad behavior. Doing the Challenges is okay regardless on how you do it as long you are following the Pokemon Terms and Service (Rules) which they are..

We want equalization for losers and winners. Too much improvement made for winners causing major impacts.

I'm just stating my opinion one last time here, because this exploded like I never thought it would. The developers of the game can do whatever they want with the update, but there is just one thing most of you are forgetting

This is a feedback forum. The developers want to know, if we think this is good or bad. It's not going to hurt their feelings if some of us don't like parts of the new update. The Feedback forum is SPECIFICALLY HERE for us to give them our constructive criticism. They're working very hard to build the best game they can, and for them to put a feedback forum here in the first place, means they want to know, what US, the Players of their game, do like to see, and don't like to see. 

That is all. I'm done commenting on this thread. I apologize for any feelings I might have actually broken, by stating the issues with the special daily challenge. Thank you and have a good day. 

The best kinds of challenges, both daily and special, encourage creative deckbuilding -- not destructive deckbuilding.

Creative deckbuilding: "put 20 Grass evolutions into play." Want to do the challenge faster? Build Butterfree, play 2-3 really fun games, and earn your reward! Awesome!

Destructive deckbuilding: put 135 Pokemon into paly." Want to do the challenge faster? Deconstruct a perfectly good Seismitoad EX/Slurpuff PHF list, and replace all the cards that make it good with things that let you re-bench as many Pokemon as possible. Play 7-8 games that really go nowhere...awesome reward, but not so much fun.

Archived