The problem with Pokemon TCG Online and how to fix it.

MrMorloc

Dear Developers,

I recently started playing the wonderful Pokemon TCG Online and I am finding the card game much more enjoyable than other online card games such as [Content removed - please keep all discussion on the topic of Pokémon. -Mod. Poplar]. However there is HUGE problem that need's to be addressed with the client.

In [Removed], a player will downloaded the FULL game with all graphics already included. Having the game only at 300 megabytes to download seems like a great idea because people will be able to jump into the game more quickly, therefore distributing your product to more people.

However this system of "streaming" the cards creates an issue. More of the player's bandwidth is used to download the cards thereby slowing the game down, not being able to see card's until they load, or cards not displaying at all. The system is unfortunately broken.

This causes players to believe the game is slow and buggy. This GREATLY effects the ratings that you get for your game, and when players visit the app store/review site to look at a review of your game they will see a 2/5 for your game. Other players who still decide to give the game a go will be less likely to continue playing, eventually giving up in frustration of the game "not working". This game deserves at LEAST a 4/5, Coming from a background of playing [Removed] of which I enjoy Pokemon TCG more.

I am aware that you have an option in the client's settings that allows the player to "Download All Cards." However, when clicked a message displays "We are downloading all card assets" with an OK button. You click OK and than what happens? Is it downloading? The player can't see the progress of the download's and know that 4+ GB of cards is being downloaded? Once all files are downloaded the player is not notified that the download is complete. This is confusing as players don't think anything is happening at all.

There is no information being displayed of the progress and after a half an hour of waiting they think the system is broken when in actuality it's just a large file size. I think it is in your best interest to fix this issue as soon as possible as it will allow players to get the best experience with the game, thereby having returning players.

So what is the best course of action? I suggest to add a download manager for the game. Show the player there is progress in downloading the game and allow the players the option to play while it's downloading the FULL game. At least the player's will understand that the full game is being downloaded and will be more understanding and forgiving of cards not showing or slow game-play if the choose to play the game before it is COMPLETLY downloaded. Other players like me would just wait until the 4+ GB are finished downloading and only play once everything is downloaded to get the best experience.

I know that eventually you will get these issues fixed. Thank You for making this game for computers, I wish you much progress in perfecting the client and hope that you will have much success in Pokemon TCG Online.

I agree. A download manager needs to be implemented.  Also, even after downloading card assets, they still don't always load.  If the devs could list a temporary solution to manually "sideload" the data, it would help.  I don't mind the 4GB+ download, but I would like it to be properly downloaded and not have issues with cards and card sleeves rendering.

Hey there!

You've brought up some good points! I'll submit your thoughts to the Dev team for consideration and leave your thread open for now in case you'd like to discuss any of your ideas further.

Thanks for the detailed feedback and suggestion! :)

i am experiencing this problem, making the game unplayable as some cards eventually turn from the text on them to all white for trainers, and the respective colour for pokemon/energy (other cards are fine)

i tried downloading all, but as stated, i have no idea if anything is happening.

to get around this do i download card assets and just let it go for a few hours? when the game states "we are downloading card assets" do i click ok, or leave that screen up?

any help is appreciated, as right now the game is unplayable for me

i am experiencing this problem, making the game unplayable as some cards eventually turn from the text on them to all white for trainers, and the respective colour for pokemon/energy (other cards are fine)

i tried downloading all, but as stated, i have no idea if anything is happening.

to get around this do i download card assets and just let it go for a few hours? when the game states "we are downloading card assets" do i click ok, or leave that screen up?

any help is appreciated, as right now the game is unplayable for me

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there I am writing a detailed guide on how to fix this issue. It will explain how to uninstall and remove TCG online correctly, reinstall with proper firewall exceptions and port fowarding options, as well as an explaination of how to Download All Cards and how to moniter the progress of the downloads. I will write it in the next few days so look out for it if you still have MAJOR card loading problems as even downloading all card assets will still show blank/loading cards every now and than.

BEFORE DOING THIS GUIDE I RECCOMEND UNINTALLING THE POKEMON CLIENT, REMOVING ANY LEFTOVER DATA FROM UR COMPUTER AND DO A FRESH INSTALL IN A DIFFRENT INSTALL LOCATION. (Else you might update 4.5 gigs for nothing to show at all)

Until that is made, to answer your queston: What I did was NOT press the OK button. ALT + TAB into your windows desktop and go to C:\Users\\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\WebPlayer\Cache. (You might have to change your folder options to veiw hidden/system data) There you will see a folder called The Pok__mon Company International_Pokemon Trading Card Game Online

Right click the folder and select Properties. In the General Tab you will see Size: XXX GB ( X standing for how much card data there is) 

Remember that number or write it down and exit Properties. 

After five minutes or so right click the The Pok__mon Company International_Pokemon Trading Card Game Online. folder and select properties again. That number will have changed.

If the number is increasing you know that the Pokemon Client is downloading the card assest.

BE AWARE: The full size of all cards are around 4.38 Gigabytes large so this process of downloading will probally take a while. Once you have confirmed it is downloading go to sleep or watch tv and once it is around 4.38 gigabytes and isnt making anymore progress it is finished. No messages pop up but by looking at folder properties you will be able to tell if it is finished downloading.

Once it is finished restart the Pokemon TCG client and everything should work mostly.

Archived