Donphan decklist advice

The_Iron_bat

I like donphan. I think I have a pretty good list, but I wanted to make sure that I get it at the best position possible. Here is my list:

4-4 Donphan

3 Hawlucha

1 Dedenne

1-1 Primal Groudon

3 Professor Juniper

3 N

3 Korrina

2 Colress

2 Lysandre

1 Teammates

4 Robo-substitute

3 VS Seeker

3 Muscle Band

2 Acro Bike

1 Silver Bangle

1 Professor's Letter

1 Float Stone

1 Focus Sash

1 Dowsing Machine

4 Fighting Stadium

5 Fighting

4 Strong

2 Double Colorless

Any suggestions, feel free to comment, questions, I will answer to the best of my ability.

If your going to have an ex in this deck anyway, my favorite addition to my donphan deck is keldeo-ex with float stone.  you never run out of robos and you essentially get free retreat for any wall or outrage poke that you happen to use while your donphan is on the bench.  Donphan already has a big "wreck" attack, so not sure why you also need the primal groudon.

several people have countered this idea saying "keldeo gives away 2 prize cards when he's ko'd so he's not worth the free retreat"  I suppose it depends on the level of competition.  In a live tourney vs skilled collectors genesect-ex is going to bring keldeo out with red signal and knock him out without even having a g-booster.  so that's valid.  in the online PvP world, your not going to have as much trouble.

Comparing with my Primal Donphan list I'd add:

+1 Groundon Spirit Link ( if there's one thing I don't like to do in Donphan, it's def. wasting a turn without attacking)

+1 Korrina ( has, in my opinion, been a 4off in the archetyp for quite some time and for good reason)

+1 Switch ( because of Korrina and the fact that HGSS Switch just looks insane)

maybe + 1 Fighting Energy, but I'm toying with those numbers myself quite a bit

what I'd cut:

-2 Acro Bike (not quite sold on that card, especially if you already have a way to dig for every card via Korrina)

-1 Float Stone or Sash ( Stone would be the logical conclusion, as you'd have Swithc as a replacement, yet Sash, as good as it is, might also be an option, as you'd be unable to get Spirit Link of Groundon, as we aint got room for Tool Retriever)

I don't see the Groudon's here because of being a purely non-ex deck for me.

Anyway there's a lot of lists.

You can play Wobuffet to lock habilities.

You can play Sigilyph or Suicuine as EX walls and Floatstone/Switch/Escape rope. Suicuine for mirror matches (Donphan's weak to water) but Sigilyph has one less retreat cost. And if you run both Wobuffet and Sigilyph you could also run 1 psy energy in case to have to attack with some of them.

To counter darkness can use the Outragers: Zekrom (outrage) or mirror matches Kyurem (but I prefer Suicuine). You have the other option, Dedenne.

As items you can choose a thousand, Enhanced hammer could fit. It depends on your way to play or the trainers ou like more.

And if you're adding EXs, why Groudon and not Landorus EX? Or Donphan w/Seismi. I've seen Lucario EX many times. There's a million choices.

At the end, if you know what's in your deck and you win, that's your good list.

I don't see the Groudon's here because of being a purely non-ex deck for me.

Anyway there's a lot of lists.

You can play Wobuffet to lock habilities.

You can play Sigilyph or Suicuine as EX walls and Floatstone/Switch/Escape rope. Suicuine for mirror matches (Donphan's weak to water) but Sigilyph has one less retreat cost. And if you run both Wobuffet and Sigilyph you could also run 1 psy energy in case to have to attack with some of them.

To counter darkness can use the Outragers: Zekrom (outrage) or mirror matches Kyurem (but I prefer Suicuine). You have the other option, Dedenne.

As items you can choose a thousand, Enhanced hammer could fit. It depends on your way to play or the trainers you like more.

And if you're adding EXs, why Groudon and not Landorus EX? Or Donphan w/Seismi. I've seen Lucario EX many times. There's a million choices.

At the end, if you know what's in your deck and you win, that's your good list.

Walls require 2 things: Float Stone, and Prize cards, except for Sub. I used to play more walls, but i didn't like that too much.

Groudons are in for Seismitoad and other EX. It's not water weak, and it's a wall it's self. Lasers can't hit it.

Or switches, or Escape ropes, AZ, Scoops... there's more options.

Of course the robos are "a wall".

There were only options. If you like your list and it's the best why are you asking? Sometimes with some Pokémon you'll win and others with the same you'll loose because of the draws or the opponent deck. And you could win with other list, but you could loose with this other list against other decks.

It's a good list. Sure you win a lot.

Or switches, or Escape ropes, AZ, Scoops... there's more options.

Of course the robos are "a wall".

There were only options. If you like your list and it's the best why are you asking? Sometimes with some Pokémon you'll win and others with the same you'll loose because of the draws or the opponent deck. And you could win with other list, but you could loose with this other list against other decks.

It's a good list. Sure you win a lot.

I ask because it's my final step in perfecting a deck when I use this process, so I can hear outside opinions and polish my deck that way.

I took all suggestions and played 5 games, and I made cuts where necessary and additions where the cuts were made, then I move on. It's an amazing list, but this is (now) a perfect list to fit my play style.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them comming!

If you are using Groudon EX as a wall that is not water weak and negates trainer effects, I would choose Regirock promo that will be coming with the Roaring Skies blister packs (not sure how to get it in tcgo though).

If you are using Groudon EX as a wall that is not water weak and negates trainer effects, I would choose Regirock promo that will be coming with the Roaring Skies blister packs (not sure how to get it in tcgo though).

But it can't OKHO any EX (Aside from Megas)

Agreed, Primal is savage . . and I would submit that it often OHKO's other Mega evolutions, putting two strong energy on Primal is easy, and the deck list includes 4 copies of fighting stadium increasing the likelihood that the already outrageous attack is buffed enough to make the hit.

I must agree with iron_bat, Regirock is pretty awful, it's first attack kind of borders on useless (the stadiums may be shuffled back into your deck by N on your opponent's next turn but more importantly your opponent gets to take a free shot ) and the other has the same kind of terrible energy requirement Groudon EX's attack does, 3 fighting energy (and one more) is desperately slow.  Of course, no one has suggested Regirock as a viable attacker, more so a meat blocker, however, at 110 HP it might not last long.

My initial interest in Regirock was for decks that require a lot of energy on the field: M Gardevoir or a Huntail deck I attempted, where energy denial cards have devastating impact on your ability to take prizes.  I attempted using Eelectrike because it has the same trainer immune trait as a bench sitting 'battery', it didn't work.  110 HP is a bit better than 50 tho.

Archived