PVP is destroyed by toad ex's

tarif15

toads totally destroyed stage 2's . it totally destroyed the fun of playing . before toad ruled the pvp , i used to battle at least 10 times a day . now i dont feel like playing anymore . cause my decks go haywire cause of toad ex . something needs to be done to stop this TOAD MADNESS . 

Can we close this? No offense Tarif, I agree it is, but there's already two existing threads that are dedicated to the Toad hate.

I don't exactly like playing against Toad either, but it also sounds like you (the OP) are unwilling to adapt.  There are some strategies for countering Toad, and more will come with Roaring Skies I believe.

Yes, Stage 2 cards are considerably less viable now, but frankly, so what?  There are always going to be cards or strategies that are superior to others, or which require more creativity to play (e.g. you can get out certain stage 2s now with Archie's / Maxie's, or if you slow Toad down a couple turns).

Also, you're not going to face Toad in every match.

ceildric.. honestly, archie and maxie are only viable with ub and superior energy retrieval and comp search.. otherwise, there is a less than 20% chance than even being able to play a archie/ maxie- now we think- is a good pvp battler so befuddled by strategy against a pokemon that he is suggesting we resort to luck?

and as you know, the rest of those cards cannot work in the presence of toad..

if adaption means 33%+ of your deck- honestly most decks used to run 25+ trainers has to be changed, I think the meta is a little bit toppled towards one card..

I mean:

virgen was powerful- tech in 4 reshirams

yveltal was powerful- tech in 4 zekroms or 3 raichu lines or 4 dedennes with silver bangle

mewtwo was powerful- tech in a cresselia

seismi is powerful.. tech in 25 cards to replace almost half of your deck cuz it doesn't run otherwise..

seems asking a bit much of players- and I can understand why some should be a bit frustrated..

You can use lost zone cards to slow down toad very a lot so it cant atk, it not op, there is ways it take it off the playing board as well, I have a deck that take down all toads decks atm

so it is not over powered, it that everyone like using it alot

awesome_guy,

That kind of assumes that there is and/or should be a standard deck good for all time which only takes small tweaks to adjust for new cards (e.g. your examples of teching in a handful of cards for this or that).

However, I do not see why it's "wrong" for larger shifts in the meta to occur, such that a brand new standard has to be established.  This is what has happened with Toad.  It keeps things fresh and challenging when these major shifts occur, as well as when the set rotations occur.

TCG players (whether PTCG or others) should expect to sometimes have to massively adjust their play styles, decks, strats, etc in response to the release of new sets and/or the rotation of old sets.  "I built this deck, so it should be the best deck forever, and at worst I should have to switch out one or two cards," is not the attitude anyone should have.

You can use lost zone cards to slow down toad very a lot so it cant atk, it not op, there is ways it take it off the playing board as well, I have a deck that take down all toads decks atm

so it is not over powered, it that everyone like using it alot

He's talking about Standard, so I'm thinking that Lost World wouldn't work too well there.

ceildric.. when you say a change in cards should happen- it should happen gradually.. swap in a card or two for virizion-genesect, a card or two for mewtwo, a card or two for yveltal, a card or two for fairy.. and so on.. at the end you can have 10-15 cards new added which change with time..

however the sheer amount of cards locked from use.. just count it once- you cant use what? 800-900 cards out of 5,000 just because of one card.. and that's what i'm not okay with.. and this isn't a circumstantial thing.. it's absolute.. do not use those 800 cards at all...

otherwise- if you complain about losing a huge variety of cards- you are accused of not being "a good enough player" - that is what I have a problem with..

why does seismi have 800 or so items exclusive for it- it's like printing 800 g-boosters with 800 different effects and none of them are ace-specs.. tell me that's not worth complaining about

Perhaps part of the 'toad hate is that there is no way to remove the effect of Seismitoad once you have it on you.

E.g. if your opponent's Suicune is walling you, Lysandre it to the bench.  If you're  walled by Electri-Defuse or Chrono Wind, swap your Pokemon out of active (and back in again if you can).  Because these are effects placed on the Pokemon, so by switching the Pokemon you remove the effect.  But there is no way to remove an effect placed on you the player, not even Suicune helps against 'toad (sure Suicune takes no damage, but the item-blocking effect still goes through).

So when your deck absolutely depends on item access, something like Seismitoad is going to break you and hard.

awesome_guy,

You have a partial point, but those 800-900 cards aren't completely gone.  It's just a bit trickier to get them in.  Head-ringer or Xerosic to slow down Toad.  Lysandre, Chrono Wind, various attacks to bounce the Toad, etc to buy you a turn or two with items.

true they aren't gone.. but it's somewhat disadvantaged.. without using either a supporter  (which you only get one of per turn) ringer (which isn't completely reliable against toad due to it being an item itself) or dialga-ex  which has found a huge drop in play- for which I don't know the reason - maybe the new camerupt fad (dialga means that you are restricting your playing options to playing steel or having to rely on a multi energy/rainbow energy deck)  you cannot stop toad..

and even xerosic cannot be warranted for more than 2 per deck- any more and it's just dead weight against all those other decks.. and those two xerosics themselves can stall toad for how long?

it's just a matter of time before he draws the next dce (unless you get lucky- which I don't believe is the standard for defining a counter to toad)

and buying a turn or two for what? you're running 4 xerosic+ 4 ringer to get even a slight chance of stalling toad for a bit.. and then you run into those mewtwos and yveltals, which just add another energy and steamroll over your deck anyways- helped by the fact that toad exists

what i'm trying to say is- countering toad itself is harmful to your win chances against other decks by a big margin- is that acceptable to all of us?

i am saying this again , eggs are a bit easier to get rid off cause they have just the 100 hp . but still they cause a ton of panick and i want to quit after i see any in the game . but when i see toad and fairy , i quit right away . cause 180 hp monster which literally binds you and locks you down and just slowly destroy the match for you is way too hard for me to accept . this card is too much for the meta . i miss my battling days where i had at least some way to counter a deck . but now , toad just takes away 25 + cards off my decks :( this is sad . please moderators , relay this message to the company . WE NEED TO MAKE TOAD WEAKER . perhaps like this . 

Quaking punch , your opponent cant use any item cards if he has less prize cards than you . 

or

Quaking punch , your opponent cant use any item cards if the defending pokemon has no energy attached to it . 

stuff like those . BUT PLEASE STOP THE TOAD MADNESS . i wish to see no toads for a single day when i am battling . i want to return to my glorious battling days . :(

i am saying this again , eggs are a bit easier to get rid off cause they have just the 100 hp . but still they cause a ton of panick and i want to quit after i see any in the game . but when i see toad and fairy , i quit right away . cause 180 hp monster which literally binds you and locks you down and just slowly destroy the match for you is way too hard for me to accept . this card is too much for the meta . i miss my battling days where i had at least some way to counter a deck . but now , toad just takes away 25 + cards off my decks :( this is sad . please moderators , relay this message to the company . WE NEED TO MAKE TOAD WEAKER . perhaps like this . 

Quaking punch , your opponent cant use any item cards if he has less prize cards than you . 

or

Quaking punch , your opponent cant use any item cards if the defending pokemon has no energy attached to it . 

stuff like those . BUT PLEASE STOP THE TOAD MADNESS . i wish to see no toads for a single day when i am battling . i want to return to my glorious battling days . :(

Toad will be around for a while. It's not about "weakening" toad (Not trying to put words in your mouth, but stuff like erratas and reprints won't exactly hurt Toad too bad) but instead, finding solutions for beating Toad. Which, by the way, we have two other threads about. So again, can we close this thread?

(Not trYing to single you out Tarif, but we don't need 3 threads for Toad discusions)

Archived