Impossible for new players to get into this game * Cards)

deathzolth

Literally every match last night I did in Standard or Expanded had EX Pokémon involved, so that's primarily why I do Theme Deck matches. I did end up winning one match due to Swampert (I had a special one where I can easily gather Energy on him and his attacks get stronger the more Energy I put on him), so it is possible to deal with EX Pokémon. You just got to look at your collection and build decks around cards that deal specifically with EX Pokémon, or can deal high damage in a hurry (like how Mental Might Gallade's power grows as you fill the bench with Energy). If you can hit 200+ in a turn, that will knock out most EXs aside from the Mega Evolution EXs. I haven't spent a single penny on this game, but getting booster pack after booster pack for a while, you start to get some cards that stand out from the others. I'll be looking for more cards like Swampert and Gallade, as I should stand a good chance of dealing with EX Pokémon that way.

Of course you alwayis will face EX and M-EX because... it's how the game is working now. Basic means fast (doesn't need evolutions) and at the same time Powerful, the most. But at the same time there are a few decks that doesn0t run EX and, that's part of its strenght, the need of 6 KO vs 3 KO for a winning.

- Night march

- Flareon Night March

- Donphan

And some with very low number of EXs like could be Swampert Ancient trait as main attacker that you could run with Kyogre-EX, Keldeo-EX, Seismi-EX but as reinforcement. Can have EX? Yes, but it's not a VirGen.

Again, 2 weeks is not time enough to be happy with the amount of cards you could get and for understand the entire game mechanics, habilities and how to use them, best decks... but will come.

hmm the high theme deck ranking = getting stomped in random standard thing is interesting and warrants some discussion.  if that is actually true, i feel that is something that should be fixed as it seems like a common experience for people to play theme deck get quite good there then not be able to have fun in random standard etc.

I started playing a few weeks ago and quickly found that theme tourneys are the way to go. I'm currently stocking up on tourney tickets and waiting for the switch so that I can start winning packs to trade.

My current standard deck is built around some Swamperts that I traded for, a few colorless theme deck pokemon, and the 1 Kyogre EX and 1 Primal Kyogre EX that I miraculously pulled in my first week. I'm actually wining around 50% of my standard versus mode games -  sometimes against decks that are way more developed than mine.

I don't think anyone mentioned it in this thread, but earning 4 stars on each trainer challenge person earns you a non-tradable 10 card pack. That's around 40 packs you can get with maybe 20 min of grinding for each one. Ive been doing one person a day and pulled a lot of the useful trainer cards and even a few EX's out of these packs. 

I don't think anyone mentioned it in this thread, but earning 4 stars on each trainer challenge person earns you a non-tradable 10 card pack. That's around 40 packs you can get with maybe 20 min of grinding for each one. Ive been doing one person a day and pulled a lot of the useful trainer cards and even a few EX's out of these packs. 

So 4 stars is the secret. I've heard of people earning packs from Trainer Challenge. I am almost complete with City Championship level and have not seen an of these prize packs that people speak of. Guess I'll go back to Gold level and start 4 starring all the trainers.  Thanks for sharing.

Dark Hammer is the theme deck to choose for the most victories in theme mode tourneys.

although I've had considerable luck with earth's pulse and ocean's core as well, there isn't a lot of fluff in dark hammer.  it's major weakness is psychic types though, so if you notice tourney mode is full of it, then mental might is a fair choice.

So 4 stars is the secret. I've heard of people earning packs from Trainer Challenge. I am almost complete with City Championship level and have not seen an of these prize packs that people speak of. Guess I'll go back to Gold level and start 4 starring all the trainers.  Thanks for sharing.

Ya. It's a good way to quickly build up your collection. Don't advice skipping, like I did. ^-^

Of course you alwayis will face EX and M-EX because... it's how the game is working now. Basic means fast (doesn't need evolutions) and at the same time Powerful, the most. But at the same time there are a few decks that doesn0t run EX and, that's part of its strenght, the need of 6 KO vs 3 KO for a winning.

- Night march

- Flareon Night March

- Donphan

And some with very low number of EXs like could be Swampert Ancient trait as main attacker that you could run with Kyogre-EX, Keldeo-EX, Seismi-EX but as reinforcement. Can have EX? Yes, but it's not a VirGen.

Again, 2 weeks is not time enough to be happy with the amount of cards you could get and for understand the entire game mechanics, habilities and how to use them, best decks... but will come.

U forgot the deluge decks, both fire and water is available now. Both had keldeo ex but it can be easily beaten unless they have an good hand.

Guest ArtichokeCat

- Night march

- Flareon Night March

- Donphan

Some Night March and Flareon lists choose to run Jirachi EX for consistency

Some Night March and Flareon lists choose to run Jirachi EX for consistency

Yes of course, answering you, the comment before and the next one. I wasn't listing every "non-EX" deck but giving a general idea of some of this decks.

Playing Jirachi-EX or not in a non-EX based deck it's a personal decision. I play my bats without it because I wanted to force the 6KOs for a win. But I'm trying to build a metal and probably will be in because it fits and sometimes before saved me a full match. It's up to everyone, to every deck and to every list.

As said it's not everything about the EX, and this doesn't mean some decks can't run one or two or three as support or for consistency. But ******) it's not a VirGen with 10/12 EX.

Don't forget to do it on hard difficulty otherwise you will gain much less XP per match. The lenght of the game also determines how much XP you get.

Also, if you beat a whole league with 4 stars you get a couple of extra packs (about 3).

Of course, but you may already know it, when you beat 12 different opponents with any buyable theme deck, you get an extra pack as well. (only once per theme deck) The green checkmark under each opponent indicates if you have already beaten him with the selected deck.

I was lucky and got Computer Search and Virizion EX in two of them.

Yes of course, answering you, the comment before and the next one. I wasn't listing every "non-EX" deck but giving a general idea of some of this decks.

Playing Jirachi-EX or not in a non-EX based deck it's a personal decision. I play my bats without it because I wanted to force the 6KOs for a win. But I'm trying to build a metal and probably will be in because it fits and sometimes before saved me a full match. It's up to everyone, to every deck and to every list.

As said it's not everything about the EX, and this doesn't mean some decks can't run one or two or three as support or for consistency. But ******) it's not a VirGen with 10/12 EX.

If the core of a deck is nonßEX, then it is a nonßEX deck. It doesnät reallz matter whether it runs one or two or three EXs on the side since, well, thez are Pokemon as well...

People should learn to understand that strong Pokemon rule the game, not EXs.

wow. even spaces and dashes in between letters of popular locations on the internet are blocked. And anything that precedes the (punctuation) dot and word-fragment com(puter).  

Hey there!

As stated in the Pokémon TCG Online Forums Rules linked at the bottom of every forum page, posting links to websites other than official Pokémon sites is not permitted on the forums. This is why such words are blocked by our filter. Attempting to bypass the filter to post these links (or for any other reason) is not permitted.

Thanks for your understanding!

If the core of a deck is nonßEX, then it is a nonßEX deck. It doesnät reallz matter whether it runs one or two or three EXs on the side since, well, thez are Pokemon as well...

People should learn to understand that strong Pokemon rule the game, not EXs.

Strong Pokémon do rule the game, but most of which are EX pokemon, and that's why you hear some people say "EX cards ruined this game they should never have been printed". We still have nice decks that have beaten EX heavy decks constantly.

Yes but the point is that anyway there are high barriers to entry in the game and enjoy it.

You have to spend some money or be patient and persevering. And being a kids -should be, is focused to- game, none of those two things are what kids have haha.

On the other hand it's free, easy to play and you'll love it sooner than later.

In 4 months you won't know what else more trade but the more expensive cards of the meta like Seismitoad EX, Computer Search, Landorus EX or the FAs if you can afford it :rolleyes:

Archived