Deck Tiers

1Reshiram12

Apparently I completely missed the memo on what deck tiers are despite being an avid real life tournament competitor. Could someone please explain this to me? I put this post in the deck construction section because I'm pretty sure it's related to just that; deck construction.

To put it simple, a “Tier list” classifies the different decks of a format into their current strength / appearance in the field.

Lets take for example 10 different standard decks and add a random number of appearance in tournament tops 8s behind them ( I make up a number here, so don't misjudge this example tier list as the definite one in the current meta):

Yveltal/Toad/Garb 21%

Lando/Bats 18%

Virizion/Gen 16%

Nightmarsh 10%

Eggs 7%

Toadpuff 5%

Toad/Bats 3%

Donphan 5%

Primal Groundon 6%

Heavy Metal 9%

Given those numbers, we could establish that Yveltal/Toad/Garb, Lando/Bats and Virizion/Gen are the current Tier 1 decks, as they make up over 50% of the field.

When you prepare for a tournament, you should def. expect to face those decks on a regular basis.

Decks like Nighmarsh, or Heavy Metal could be considered Tier 1.5 – Tier 2, as they have a fairly good showing, yet you don't have to necessary prepare to face them.

Anything below that would be considered Tier 2 and beyond, decks that have their niche and can perform well if the circumstance are right, yet aren't able to make the top cut as often.

You could also classify the tier which terms like “s-tier”, “a-tier”, “b-tier”, you get the idea, although the later is more frequently used in Fighting Games alá Street Fighter, Smash Bros, etc., while the above mentioned classification is usually used in TCGs.

On a last note, you should always keep in mind that a tier list isn't a 100% guaranteed indicator for the strength of a deck, but rather a a list of decks that are common / uncommon in the current meta and thus perform good / bad, although if 3 out of 50 Yveltal/Toad/Garb player reach the top 8 and 1 out of 2 Toad/Bats player do so as well, you can already see that just looking at the tier list would lead to a heavy misjudgment in terms of power level here.

Actual teir list (Provided by a certain Starter Fire type's lounge. Thanks Wambie!)

Tier List

Tier 1

• Seismitoad EX
  • Yveltal EX
  • Virizion EX/Genesect EX

Tier 2

• Exeggutor PLF
  • Flareon PLF
  • Donphan PLS
  • Fighting/Crobat PHF
  • Night March

Tier 3

• Primal Kyogre EX
  • Aromatisse XY
  • Seismitoad EX/Manectric EX
  • Bronzong PHF

Agree or disagree, but this is the current teir list. 

I regeret trading my FA seismitoad exs more and more as every day passes.

Would you like to have more statistics? I can grab them off of a site if you'd like.

In order of Wins, 2nd place, T4, T8 and total (Plus the complete 100 of the meta)

Seismitoad EX 13 12 16 25 66 19.2%

Yveltal EX 5 8 18 28 59 15.7%

Virizion EX/Genesect EX 7 4 5 16 32 8.9%

Flareon PLF 1 5 8 15 29 7.5%

Donphan 2 3 7 15 27 6.9%

Exeggutor 5 3 2 10 20 5.7%

Fighting/Crobat PHF 0 3 9 9 21 5.5%

Primal Kyogre EX 1 3 7 6 17 4.7%

Night March 3 2 1 6 12 3.4%

Aromatisse XY 3 1 2 6 12 3.4%

Seismitoad EX/Manectric EX 1 0 5 6 12 3.0%

Bronzong PHF 2 0 3 4 9 2.5%

Primal Groudon EX 1 1 1 7 10 2.5%

M Manectric EX/Water 1 1 0 6 8 2.0%

M Manectric EX/Black Kyurem EX 0 0 0 5 5 1.0%

Medicham PCL 0 0 2 1 3 0.8%

Empoleon DEX 0 0 2 1 3 0.8%

Blastoise BCR 0 0 1 2 3 0.7%

Manectric EX 0 1 1 0 2 0.6%

Virizion EX/Mewtwo EX 0 0 0 3 3 0.6%

Gengar EX 0 0 1 1 2 0.5%

Psychic/Crobat PHF 0 0 1 1 2 0.5%

Manectric EX/Crobat PHF 0 0 1 1 2 0.5%

Big Basics 1 0 0 0 1 0.4%

TDK 0 0 0 2 2 0.4%

Plasma Lugia EX 0 0 0 2 2 0.4%

M Manectric EX/Fighting 0 0 0 2 2 0.4%

Tool Drop 1 0 0 0 1 0.4%

M Manectric EX (Unspecified) 0 0 0 2 2 0.4%

M Manectric EX/Leafeon PLF 0 0 1 0 1 0.3%

Mew EX Tool Box 0 0 0 1 1 0.2%

Hippowdon PCL/Fighting 0 0 0 1 1 0.2%

Keep in mind, 3 states didn't report any resaults. All credit goes to Andrew Wambolt for collecting this amazing Data'

So in this case, all are good of course but the best should be, the one with more wins? The one with more % of the total?

And, is there any deck list there where you get this data? Or it's all about statistics?

Yes, I can't post the site name here, but if you search state Championships resaults into your search engine, you should see a Lounge.

They're a currency that allows you to buy packs, Bundles Sleeves, etc., currently, they are select about where you can buy gems (I believe Canada can only buy them atm)

Archived