**ROOKIE MOM ALERT - (needs KIND assistance, plz. :-D)

Cathy9887

Well, as the title says, I'm a mom who's two young boys have recently gotten into Pokemon.. first, by receiving duplicate cards from a friend who mostly collects, and then gained interest in learning how to play the card game. We have purchased training boxes, and have a couple pre-made playable decks, and are starting to get the hang of playing... but we have a few hundred cards rattling around in sleeves, binders, and tins... and we can't seem to figure out hhow to assemble a decent deck.

I've Googled around a WHOLE lot, and all the "parent info" pages I've found give vague details on how to pick cards to put in a deck. Several say "it just depends on what you want to do with your deck"... which is probably 110% true, but does not help those who really have zero clue what they're doing in the first place.

I need someone (or a website/app) to break it down into terms this dummy momma can understand. Like, which elements are best paired together? I have heard Grass/Fire, Water/Electric, Fire/Water... but there are so many others, and I can't seem to find a good place that lists more suggestions.

I realize most of the details will come with time & practice... but in my opinion, I feel like being able to assemble decks is pretty elementary and should be one of the first things we master.

PLEASE HELP... THIS MOMMA IS LOSING HER MIND. :(

Thanks in advance.....

Cathy

- O'Fallon MO

hey :) I think I can help with this..

usually in a deck, you start by picking a card or two which you mean to highlight- something that your deck strategy revolves around and something you'd prefer to get out... this can be a power hitter (like mega gardevoir-ex) a sniper (landorus- can also play as a power hitter) a staller (seismitoad/dragonite)

Note: most decks have only one type of energy- max 2 and this is usually only to tech in a pokemon.. unless you have a very useful tech in mind, you usually stick to only the one energy type (not necessarily card type)

along with these, you play some supportive pokemon and stadium which benefit the deck (xerneas in m-gard, virbank in seismi)

next with trainers you try and round off what your deck doesn't have..

pokemon and trainers and stadium usually are required to provide you with the following:

1. quick energy attachment- examples are virizion-ex, landorus, xerneas, yveltal, blacksmith+scorched earth, etc.

2. ability to switch out when needed- provided by fairy garden, float stone+keldeo, switch

3. a power hitter- someone who can ko before your opponent can do much- bb kyurem, m-gard.. this can also be compensated by use of virbank city gym, muscle band, silver bangle,etc.

4.ability to beat safeguard pokemon- basic poke as well as mega evolutions to beat pyroar

5. draw support- usually junipers, and N, shauna used.. also Skyla and korrina help  in obtaining cards

usually people run around 10-15 pokemon, 30ish trainers out of which 10-15 are supporters/ supporter retrievers  like vs seeker and 10-12ish are energy

Hahaha, Cathy, I think I can help you more, because as Coincidence would have it, I'm a Saint Louis player.

1) As new players, your boys should look for people to play against at around their skill level. I'd Suggest Yeti Gaming, a Card Shop in Crestwood. It is arguably the best Gaming store in the midwest, and certainly in the Saint Louis area. It's run by Vincent Krekler, who has head Judges our World Championships not once but 3 times.

2) Ask Vince for advice. He might send you to an employee, but they will set you up.

If you want to ask more game-based questions, I have an existing thread called "The Dive-In program" in the PVP section. I can set you up with a coach, who can help you out further.

If I can catch you at leauges, I can personally help you there. I love new player growth, and I can help you out from ther, Thanks!

Thanks guys!!

Yeah, I've heard Yeti is definitely the prime spot to go for getting assistance, we just haven't made our way "way down there" yet. We spent a couple hours at Manticore last weekend, got some great skimmed basics, but left feeling only slightly less confused than when we arrived. Most likely user error, there. LOL.

Sounds like we'll just have to clear a day & head over there soon. What I'm doing doesn't seem to be cutting it.... :-/

Thanks!

Cathy

Thanks guys!!

Yeah, I've heard Yeti is definitely the prime spot to go for getting assistance, we just haven't made our way "way down there" yet. We spent a couple hours at Manticore last weekend, got some great skimmed basics, but left feeling only slightly less confused than when we arrived. Most likely user error, there. LOL.

Sounds like we'll just have to clear a day & head over there soon. What I'm doing doesn't seem to be cutting it.... :-/

Thanks!

Cathy

I can tell you, we have people that are really experienced there. Players like Brit Pybas, Jay Young and Andrew Wambolt. Scary.

Since I build decks for beginners at my league on a regular basis, I can offer some tips.

1.  Start with no more than two types of energy.  Pick these types based on what rare pokemon you have.  Example:  you have Lucario EX and Excadrill which are both fighting type, and Pangoro and Scrafty which are both dark type.  Make a fighting/dark deck, or if you have enough of one type, just use that type.  Rare cards have a star in the bottom right corner.  Colorless pokemon and Mewtwo EX can go in any deck.

2.  Make sure to put at least 10 basic pokemon in the deck.  More can be good if they're rare.  Don't put more than 20 total pokemon in the deck.

3.  When putting evolution pokemon in the deck, make sure to have at least the same number of basics as the stage 1 form, and as much basics and stage 1 pokemon as their stage 2 form.  Example:  2 or 3 Drillbur and 2 Excadrill.  Or 3 Tepig, 2 Pignite, 2 Emboar.  Don't use 1 Drillbur and 2 Excadrill.  Also, limit stage 2 pokemon to 1 kind of pokemon, but use multiple copies.  Example:  2-3 Emboar.  Don't use 1 Emboar and 1 Greninja.

4.  EX pokemon are very good for beginners except for low HP ones like Hawlucha and Mew (not Mewtwo).

5.  One main strategy in pokemon is drawing cards.  Make sure to put in at least 25 trainer cards and have at least 10-15 that allow you to draw cards.  Good examples are Tierno, Professor Sycamore, and Shauna.  Also, put some trainers in the deck that allow you to search your deck for cards, like Ultra Ball and Evosoda.

6.  Make sure to put in enough energy, but not too much.  14-16 is a good starting point.  Don't go over 16 though  Use only basic energy or Rainbow Energy at this point, unless you have double colorless energy, and only put that in if you have a lot of pokemon with 2 colorless symbols in their attacks.

Hope this helps.

If you want, post a list of a deck's contents and either I or someone else can give you advice on it.

Hahaha, Cathy, I think I can help you more, because as Coincidence would have it, I'm a Saint Louis player.

1) As new players, your boys should look for people to play against at around their skill level. I'd Suggest Yeti Gaming, a Card Shop in Crestwood. It is arguably the best Gaming store in the midwest, and certainly in the Saint Louis area. It's run by Vincent Krekler, who has head Judges our World Championships not once but 3 times.

2) Ask Vince for advice. He might send you to an employee, but they will set you up.

If you want to ask more game-based questions, I have an existing thread called "The Dive-In program" in the PVP section. I can set you up with a coach, who can help you out further.

If I can catch you at leauges, I can personally help you there. I love new player growth, and I can help you out from ther, Thanks!

[Content removed - please refrain from sharing personal information such as location on the forums. -Mod. Poplar]

Cathy

[Content removed - please refrain from sharing personal information such as location on the forums. -Mod. Poplar] 

Hey Trainers!

To maintain the safety and privacy of all users, we ask that you refrain from sharing any personal information on the forums. This includes location. You can read more about this rule and others via the Pokémon TCG Online Forums Rules linked at the bottom of every forum page.

Thanks for your understanding! :)

Archived