A new idea on how to get rid of unwanted Trade-Locked cards - NPC Trades

Not_A_Bear

So here's my idea. What if we could get Daily Trades with NPCs, which we could trade away our unwanted trade-locked cards with? Here's how I think it could work. 

First of all, you would be able to access it from the usual Trade menu, in a new tab called Daily Trades. The game would then select 3 random NPCs and each one would offer you a random trade. They would typically trade cards that are of their chosen type (for example Mick would either want to get or give Fire Pokemon, or he might trade you Trainers like Fiery Torch or Blacksmith), but occasionally you would get other kinds of cards as well.

You would get to pick only one of these per day, and then the next day you would get another new set of 3 offers. You could also opt to simply not accept any of these trades and wait for a new set tomorrow.

They would only ask for your Trade-Locked cards (you won't be able to trade them your normally tradable cards) and they would only ask for cards that you have in your collection - but they will not necessarily offer you cards that you don't already have either.

Like Daily Challenges, there would be 3 rarities of Daily Trades.

Common - Will trade you 1 card for 1 card of equivalent rarity. For example, Common for Common, Uncommon for Uncommon, Rare for Rare. Pokemon EX will never be involved. Gives you 5 tokens upon completing the trade.

Uncommon - Will make a trade that is slightly in your favor. For example, 2 Common for 2 Uncommon, 2 Uncommon for 1 Rare, 1 Rare for 2 Rares. Pokemon EX will never be involved. Gives you 10 tokens upon completing the trade.

Rare - Will make a trade that is drastically in your favor.  For example, 1 Common for 1 Rare, 1 Rare for 3 Rares, 3 Uncommons for 3 Rares, or even 3 Rares for 1 Pokemon EX (regular art, always). Gives you 20 tokens upon completing the trade.

I was also thinking that maybe it would give you 1 XP towards whichever energy type that character represents (regardless of the trade rarity). And perhaps the higher your energy level of a given type, the higher chance you have of getting Pokemon EX out of a Rare trade.

Obviously, all cards you receive in these trades will also be considered Trade-Locked. Also maybe throw in some flavor text for these trades, so instead of just having them say "Will you trade Mick your Great Ball for his Pignite?" it might say "Oh, I've been looking everywhere for one of these Great Ball cards! I'll trade you this Pignite for it!"

With something like this, it would allow players to get rid of their unwanted trade-locked cards and potentially get some other (trade-locked) cards which they actually want.

This is great.

The 1-for-1 of the same rarity is good.  I think the next level could be 2-4 commons for 1 uncommon.  For the top level, 1 common for 1 rare is too much.  I could see 1 common for 1 uncommon or 1 rare for 1 ultra rare, though.

I don't think it's necessary to earn XP and tokens for making a trade the benefits the player.

Making them ask for cards you already own could make things a bit more complicated for the developers.

This is great.

The 1-for-1 of the same rarity is good.  I think the next level could be 2-4 commons for 1 uncommon.  For the top level, 1 common for 1 rare is too much.  I could see 1 common for 1 uncommon or 1 rare for 1 ultra rare, though.

I don't think it's necessary to earn XP and tokens for making a trade the benefits the player.

Making them ask for cards you already own could make things a bit more complicated for the developers.

I'm no programmer, but I don't think it would be hard for them to only ask for cards you have. My experience may only exist in RPG Maker, but I would think something like a conditional branch clause could do the job. Simply run a check of possible trades against their inventory and return something available.

I trade extra unwanted cards for booster packs all the time.  you have to include some things people may want though so it seems like they are the ones getting a good deal.

the problem is with trades people want something for nothing.  if you offer me 10 commons I can get just after opening a few packs for a rare I'm still going to turn the page and ignore you.  any decent NPC should do the same.

What I would suggest is, since you can only need 4 max of one card, that the game handle that more intelligently.  We don't need 5 locked un-tradeable cards of the same kind.

Hi Not_A_Bear,

Interesting suggestion. :) I'll submit it to the Dev team for consideration and leave your thread open as usual.

As always, we appreciate your input!

Guest swag846114

i think that you should be able to just trade your locked cards too because i have really good cards that are locked

Why are there locked cards anyways?   There are cards that my kids nor I will  never use.  Yet would be useful for trading.   

another reason this would be great is because this is a collectible card game so it naturally attracts those of us who are a little OCD to begin with.  and having untradeable cards in your collection with messy numbers like 15 treeckos is really a thorn in the side of someone who likes their collections neat.

being able to trim everything down to 4 exactly will bring much peace of mind.  the gain back can even be very nominal and it would still feel much better.

Archived