Roaring Skies Theory Crafting

Cymantex

Before each new set is released I like to try making some deck lists.

It gives me a better idea of how good each card will be.

I recently got a request to post some of the lists I've been working on so here they are:

Mega Rayquaza Skyfield 1.1:

Pokémon (20):

4x Rayquaza EX RS (normal type)

3x M Rayquaza EX RS (normal type)

1-1x Altaria RS

4x Shaymin EX RS

1x Virizion EX

2-2x Raichu XY*

1x Jirachi EX

Trainers (30):

1x Computer Search

2x Mega Turbo*

3x Pokemon Catcher

1x Startling Megaphone

3x Super Scoop up

4x Ultra Ball

1x VS Seeker

1x Lysandre's Trump Card

1x N*

3x Winona

2x Juniper*

1x Skyla

3x Skyfield

3x Rayquaza Spirit Link

2x Muscle Band

Energy (10):

6x Grass

4x DCE

1.1 Changes:

-1 Pikachu

-1 N

+1 Mega Turbo

+1 Juniper

Hydreigon EX, Reshiram, White Kyurem EX PS 1.0:

Pokémon (11):

2x Hydreigon EX

4x Reshiram RS

3x White Kyurem EX PS

1x Latios EX PLF

1x Shaymin EX RS

1x Jirachi EX

Trainers (36):

1x Energy Retrieval

1x Escape Rope

2x Professor's Letter

1x Startling Megaphone

3x Switch

3x Ultra Ball

1x Tool Retriever

3x VS Seeker

2x Lysandre

1x Lysandre's Trump Card

4x N

4x Juniper

3x Skyla

3x Frozen City

1x Crystal Edge

2x Muscle Band

Energy (13):

4x Double Dragon Energy

8x Fire

1x Water

Ninjask 1.0:

Pokémon (17):

1x Exeggcute

4-4x Ninjask

1x Jirachi EX

1x Mr. Mime

3-3x Milotic PC

Trainers (43):

4x Escape Rope

4x Repeat Ball

4x Robo Substitute

1x Sacred Ash

1x Scoop Up Cyclone

4x Super Scoop Up

4x Switch

4x Trick Shovel

4x Ultra Ball

1x VS Seeker

1x AZ

3x Colress

4x N

4x Birch

Mega Gallade, Dusknoir, Natu 1.0:

Pokémon (16):

1x Gallade EX promo

2x Gallade EX RS

3x M Gallade EX

2-2-2x Dusknoir BC

1x Chandelure EX

1x Natu RS (MVP)

1x Sigilyph

1x Shaymin EX RS

Trainers (34):

1x Scramble Switch

2x Mega Turbo

1x Escape Rope

1x Professor's Letter

2x Evosoda

1x Switch

4x Ultra Ball

3x VS Seeker

2x Lysandre

1x Colress

4x N

4x Juniper

3x Skyla

1x Xerosic

3x Dimension Valley

3x Gallade Spirit Link

Energy (9):

9x Psychic

Florges Skyfield 1.0:

Pokémon (15):

3x Florges EX

1-1x M Gardevoir EX

3-2x Aromatisse

2x Xerneas XY

3x Exeggcute PLF

Trainers (36):

1x Dowsing Machine

1x Escape Rope

2x Max Potion

1x Professor's Letter

2x Switch

4x Ultra Ball

2x VS Seeker

2x Lysandre

2x Colress

4x N

4x Juniper

2x Skyla

1x Xerosic

4x Skyfield

1x Gardevoir Spirit Link

3x Muscle Band

Energy (9):

9x Fairy

Raichu Ninetales Skyfield 1.0:

Pokémon (18):

4-4x Raichu

2-2x Ninetales PC

2-1x M Rayquaza EX

1x Virizion EX

1x Mr. Mime

1x Shaymin EX RS

Trainers (32):

1x Computer Search

1x Evosoda

1x Repeat Ball

1x Sacred Ash

1x Switch

4x Ultra Ball

2x VS Seeker

3x Colress

2x Lysandre

3x N

4x Juniper

3x Skyla

2x Skyfield

1x Rayquaza Spirit Link

4x Muscle Band

Energy (10):

4x Double Colorless Energy

6x Grass Energy

Vileplume! ...with Aromatisse 1.0:

Pokémon (19):

1x Absol PLF

2-2x Aromatisse

1x Landorus EX

1x Reshiram BW

2-2-2x Vileplume

1x Virizion EX

1x Thundurus EX PLF

1x Zekrom RS

1x Cobalion EX

1x Mewtwo EX

1x Seismitoad EX

Trainers (29):

1x Dowsing Machine

1x Evosoda

1x Max Potion

2x Revive

1x Town Map

2x Ultra Ball

2x VS Seeker

2x Colress

1x Lysandre

4x N

4x Pokémon Fan Club

3x Birch

3x Fairy Garden

3x Muscle Band

Energy (10):

4x Double Colorless Energy

4x Rainbow Energy

3x Fairy Energy

More lists are WIP. 

Feel free to post your own ideas/lists or comment on mine.

I could add some explanations to each list if there is some interest in that.

I've been testing M ray with some Japaneeze cards. 3-2 Altaria is a Nessesity.

Because of increasing popularity in Raichu?

What list did you use? Similar to mine?

With regard to Skyfield and M rayquaza. . . okay never mind, if you get in a stadium war and are forced to discard down to 5 benched pokemon, you'd just play Winona and fill it up again to deal outrageous damage.  I figured playing with a bunch of those exeggcutes that 'propagate' would be a good idea: they just reappear if they get discarded with your stadium and fill your bench, leaving you free to play a supporter and still obliterate people. . . you could battle compressor them, would they be able to propagate on your first turn?

How well do you think 'Wally' will work in replacing items for getting out stage 2s? Or do you figure there's none worth playing anymore? 

Explaining those decks would require one to be familiar with all the new cards in the set, I'd enjoy reading if the important background on the cards was filled in for me, that might require a lot of patience on your part.

With regard to Skyfield and M rayquaza. . . okay never mind, if you get in a stadium war and are forced to discard down to 5 benched pokemon, you'd just play Winona and fill it up again to deal outrageous damage.  I figured playing with a bunch of those exeggcutes that 'propagate' would be a good idea: they just reappear if they get discarded with your stadium and fill your bench, leaving you free to play a supporter and still obliterate people. . . you could battle compressor them, would they be able to propagate on your first turn?

How well do you think 'Wally' will work in replacing items for getting out stage 2s? Or do you figure there's none worth playing anymore? 

Explaining those decks would require one to be familiar with all the new cards in the set, I'd enjoy reading if the important background on the cards was filled in for me, that might require a lot of patience on your part.

Thanks for posting some of your ideas and questions!  :)

It's worth noting that with M Rayquaza you only need 6 Bench Pokémon to deal 180 damage which brings up the question if it's truly the best alongside Skyfield. A Crobat line or LaserBank for example are also options to consider. Hitting for 210 and 240 does however have merit now.

Multiple Exeggcute + Mr. Mime (as they are very vulnerable to common bench damage) is something I only want to build the deck around if it turns out I have to.

If you Battle Compressor Exeggcute you can use Propagate right away.

A more conservative variant where you don't run as many pokémon and rely on Exeggcute's to fill your bench and use Mega Turbo more effectively is a possibility.

Also decks focused on cards like Raichu or Shiftry will love to use this combo as they will often require all 8 spots to be filled to take OHKOs.

I can consider adding a single copy of Exeggcute in this list. It's a mediocre support with the 4x Ultra Ball and 1x Computer Search but can also help out in those situations where the opponent counters Skyfield to avoid an OHKO. 

I don't think Wally is anything revolutional for stage 2 decks as it doesn't seem any more consistent than the Skyla + Rare Candy engine but it's not bad. After Skyla rotates this may be an auto-include in many stage 2 decks.

Wally does give hope against Seismitoad EX especially since you probably play many stage 1s and no Rare Candy.

In other match-ups I think Skyla + Rare Candy remains the more strong and versatile pick. Especially since Skyla now received a strong buff in Shaymin EX.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of background information you want to hear. Could you give an example? 

Because of increasing popularity in Raichu?

What list did you use? Similar to mine?

Sorry it took a little bit. Here's my list:

Pokemon:(17)

3 Rayquaza

2 M Rayquaza

4 Shaymin EX

3 Swablu

3 Altaria

1 Manectric EX

1 M Manectric EX

Supporters:(12)

3 Professor Juniper

3 N

3 Winona

2 Lysandre

1 Lysandre's Trump Card

Items:(17)

4 Mega Turbo

3 Muscle Band

3 VS Seeker

2 Repeat Ball

2Ultra Ball

1 M Manectric Spirit Link

1 Professor's Letter

1 Computer Search

Stadiums:(4)

4 Skyfield

Energy:(10)

6 Lightning

4 Double Colorless

This is to be as fast as possible. Don king is a real thing for this deck, and I know it can be achieved. Any questions, ask away.

hey guys anyone thought of making a fairy deck with sky field? I mean florges-ex would be insanely overpowered with up to 180 without m-band and requiring only 2 energy (maybe even bypassing the need for aromatisse)

hey guys anyone thought of making a fairy deck with sky field? I mean florges-ex would be insanely overpowered with up to 180 without m-band and requiring only 2 energy (maybe even bypassing the need for aromatisse)

It's worth a shot, but definitely include Aromatisse. It helps Max Potion easier and it makes the deck more efficient.

If you don't want to run standard amounts of energy (8-12) then just run more Tech cards. I think that (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Iris would be worth it. Think about it, even if they eliminate your Skyfield and KO a poke, you can retaliate for extra damage.

Definitely also include a LTC, since you will discard some Pokemon.

3 Rayquaza

2 M Rayquaza

4 Shaymin EX

3 Swablu

3 Altaria

1 Manectric EX

1 M Manectric EX

3 Professor Juniper

3 N

3 Winona

2 Lysandre

1 Lysandre's Trump Card

4 Mega Turbo

3 Muscle Band

3 VS Seeker

2 Repeat Ball

2Ultra Ball

1 Professor's Letter

1 Computer Search

4 Skyfield

6 Lightning

4 Double Colorless

This is to be as fast as possible. Don king is a real thing for this deck, and I know it can be achieved. Any questions, ask away.

Thanks for posting your list! Always good to see some different perspectives.

So you rely on a 2HKO with Altaria to take care of occasional Safeguard?

It's certainly interesting.

I also want to play more Mega Turbo into the deck but I'm not so sure how consistent it actually is.

Since there is a relatively small basic energy count, a limited way to discard them and you need a Mega Evolution in play makes me afraid that they will easily just clog the hand for Shaymin EX.

However the card is incredibly good when it actually works.

The question is only how to make it and the deck work as effectively as possible which is something I'm struggling with.

The reason why I run a very low amount of supporters is because I'm relying on Shaymin EX for draw power.

Similar to how old DP-On list with Uxie was constructed you theoretically do not need to play as many draw supporters because of it. They rather just get in the way of Setup. It's for the same reason I've added Pokemon Catchers instead of Lysandre. However Shaymin EX does draw 1 less card than Uxie did which could be a big difference. One of the advantages with Setup in our current format being that we have access to Ultra Ball.

During DP Bebe's Search was a very popular supporter card that reads:

Choose a card from your hand and put it on top of your deck. Search your deck for a Pokémon, show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. (If this is the only card in your hand, you can't play this card.)

Which really shows the lack of good pokemon searching cards during that time.

It's an intriguing idea that could somewhat tricky to piece together.

The problem is to always keep the bench full with Grass/Fairy type pokémon. Which means you cannot use the support from Jirachi EX or Shaymin EX.

You also cannot play Fairy Garden and need to make room for switching cards.

While using Exeggcute may be a good idea it's also somewhat awkward that you cannot pair it with Mr. Mime. However as long as you can keep hitting for 180 with Florges it will probably not matter if the opponent picks off eggs on your bench.

your mega rayquaza deck needs either nintails or exeggcute  ...you need something to help with not having skyfield discarded

for ninjask you need mew ex cause ninjask only have 30 hp also frozen city & rainbow energy helps get dmg on yourself

I would like to avoid using Exeggcute or Ninetales if possible. I like to try something more ambitious before I try the conservative.

Ninjask is a 70 hp pokémon that allows you to discard cards from the opponents deck.

The point of the deck being to hide behind Robo Substitute forever while you use switching cards and Ninjask free retreat to reuse it's ability.

You're thinking of Shedinja + Mew EX which is a different concept. 

I would like to avoid using Exeggcute or Ninetales if possible. I like to try something more ambitious before I try the conservative.

Ninjask is a 70 hp pokémon that allows you to discard cards from the opponents deck.

The point of the deck being to hide behind Robo Substitute forever while you use switching cards and Ninjask free retreat to reuse it's ability.

You're thinking of Shedinja + Mew EX which is a different concept. 

yeah i realized that so i removed my comment...but yeah ninjask burning your opponents deck is cool too

It's an intriguing idea that could somewhat tricky to piece together.

The problem is to always keep the bench full with Grass/Fairy type pokémon. Which means you cannot use the support from Jirachi EX or Shaymin EX.

You also cannot play Fairy Garden and need to make room for switching cards.

While using Exeggcute may be a good idea it's also somewhat awkward that you cannot pair it with Mr. Mime. However as long as you can keep hitting for 180 with Florges it will probably not matter if the opponent picks off eggs on your bench.

Use Floette then. At the very least, it protects your bench from bats, and you have the option to tech in a grass attacker or two where they will bask in their +20-40 HP.

Use Floette then. At the very least, it protects your bench from bats, and you have the option to tech in a grass attacker or two where they will bask in their +20-40 HP.

That is definitely a possibility but playing a stage 1 just for +20 hp on Exeggcute is somewhat awkward but it may still be the best path to go.

What other grass pokémon would you run?

I added a couple of more decks.

One of them being Florges Exeggcute Skyfield and the second Raichu Ninetales Skyfield which are options that have already been discussed in this thread.

Not sure it's best to pair Raichu with Rayquaza EX RS there. The main worry for the deck is beating popular Fighting decks. Running Hawlucha and Silver Bangle for example may be a wiser choice.

I also made a deck featuring Mega Gallade which I don't think will be very good but it's the best I can think of. 

I really like the 1x Natu tech in there though.  :lol:

hey cymantex.. how about teching in viri or shaymin ex or gene? viri for its ability and all three would help vs toad..

hey cymantex.. how about teching in viri or shaymin ex or gene? viri for its ability and all three would help vs toad..

Thanks for your suggestions! I assume you're talking about the Raichu Ninetales deck.

Genesect EX is not something that's very easy to tech here. It needs a lot of support to function effectively.

Right now the idea is to use Rayquaza EX along with Virizion EX to combat Seismitoad EX early on.

Which is one of the main benefits of playing Virizion EX.

However Hawlucha is also decent against Seismitoad EX but not quite as effective as playing Virizion EX + Rayquaza EX.

Shaymin EX is somewhat clunky because it both requires 2 energy and the opponent to take 2 price cards before you can take a knock out. It's better if you play cards such as Energy Switch in your deck to instantly power it up for a surprise knock out.

However that still generally doesn't work against Seismitoad EX because of item lock.

Taking 2 turns to power up a Pokémon is always risky against Seismitoad EX when they have access to Crushing Hammer and Head Ringer.

Benched pokemon in excess of 5 discarded when Skyfield is discarded count as knocked out?

In your first deck you have mostly EX's in the event you fill your bench (with Shaymin EX) and fail scoop up, even if you cripple your opponent taking out a Mega you might end up giving up a lot of prize cards discarding EX's, your opponent's ability to do that isn't hindered by the loss of a big attacker either.  Filling your bench seems like a big risk in that case, they could have a lot of stadiums and a lot of Skyla to search them out at the right (or wrong, for you) time.  But, like you pointed out, one extra gives M Rayquaza a 180 point attack, enough to take 2 prizes to the one you might give up on your opponent's next turn.

Just had to look up a few of the new cards, like Mega Turbo, Altaria and Shaymin EX.

Good point that having your bench full of easy KO's probably not very good trade off for one outrageous attack... (in regards to exeggcute)

What about Jirachi (RS) and something like Malamar EX, you've a 50-50 chance they can't retreat (of course they'll just switch or escape rope, practically) is there anything else that ability paralyzes or anything else to prevent retreat or escape (Jellicent - Stickiness maybe) I guess so long as they can play items it won't work and nothing prevents that and allows Jirachi to attack in the same turn.

I like 'Dragon Ascent', it's like M charizard but doesn't suck as much.  Who needs to do 300 damage all the time, though?   Meh, probly worth it the few times it does work.

Benched pokemon in excess of 5 discarded when Skyfield is discarded count as knocked out?

1) No, Just simply Discarded, not Ko'd

Thanks.

Way too many ways out of the Jirachi thing, eh? Much like Beedrill (PRC) Allergic Shock.

Lasers still only give you a 1 in 4 chance presuming they don't have AZ, scoop up, Keldeo EX.switch, blah blah blah.

Thanks.

Way too many ways out of the Jirachi thing, eh? Much like Beedrill (PRC) Allergic Shock.

Lasers still only give you a 1 in 4 chance presuming they don't have AZ, scoop up, Keldeo EX.switch, blah blah blah.

This kind of attack is indeed very difficult to make work effectively. Especially when you consider that there is no way to both stop switch and attack with Jirachi in standard.

The fact that Jirachi discard all energy attached to it is such a bummer too.

Some decks which doesn't run switch cards or Keldeo EX and rather relies on Float Stone, Fairy Garden for example can get locked with Dragalge + Hypnotoxic Laser.

• 2 weeks later...

3 Rayquaza

2 M Rayquaza

4 Shaymin EX

3 Swablu

3 Altaria

1 Manectric EX

1 M Manectric EX

3 Professor Juniper

3 N

3 Winona

2 Lysandre

1 Lysandre's Trump Card

4 Mega Turbo

3 Muscle Band

3 VS Seeker

2 Repeat Ball

2Ultra Ball

1 Professor's Letter

1 Computer Search

4 Skyfield

6 Lightning

4 Double Colorless

How come no Spirit Links?

This is the deck Ive come up with. Not sure how good it will be until I test it out.

POKEMON

3x Rayquaza

3x M Rayquaza

2x Swablu

4x Shaymin EX

2x Altaria

2x Pikachu

2x Raichu

3x Excegcutte

=21

SUPPORTERS

3x Sycamore