I have a Question about the Base Set Pokémon Cards.

MaSkullzOnFire

Base Set, as we know, was the very first set of Pokémon cards to be released internationally back in the 90's. I have just purchased a box of Base Set cards (used, of course) and I have noticed that some cards are shades lighter than others. For example, I have a Pikachu and a Vulpix and the type colour (yellow and red background) is lighter than other Pikachu and Vulpix I have.

The cards are genuine so that rules out the possibility of them being fake; I do know though that the printing process of the Base Set cards wasn't the best in the world, so it could just be a result of that or it could just be the cards showing signs of their age.

If anyone could help shed some light (bad pun?) on the matter then I would be grateful.

You likely ordered a different addition set. Here is the ways to tell what is which set:

1st addition: Has 1st addition Stamp on it (Under the card art to the bottom left)

Shadowless*: On the card art, the Pokèmon has no shadow. (Easiest way to tell is a side by side comparison)

Unlimited: Doesn't have the 1st addition stamp, has its shadow.

*Denotes what I think the lighter cards are.

Great to know this kind of stuff. You never know just how expensive a Base Set Charizard can be until it's a PSA 1st addition 9-10...

You likely ordered a different addition set. Here is the ways to tell what is which set:

1st addition: Has 1st addition Stamp on it (Under the card art to the bottom left)

Shadowless*: On the card art, the Pokèmon has no shadow. (Easiest way to tell is a side by side comparison)

Unlimited: Doesn't have the 1st addition stamp, has its shadow.

*Denotes what I think the lighter cards are.

Great to know this kind of stuff. You never know just how expensive a Base Set Charizard can be until it's a PSA 1st addition 9-10...

Thank you for the information, but unfortunately I knew all of that aside from these "Denote" cards :)

I did get a Charizard with the bundle as well, actually. That was the one card I was hoping to get a profit on. However, looking at the card now though it doesn't seem I'll be able to make a profit on that alone.

Thank you for the information, but unfortunately I knew all of that aside from these "Denote" cards :)

I did get a Charizard with the bundle as well, actually. That was the one card I was hoping to get a profit on. However, looking at the card now though it doesn't seem I'll be able to make a profit on that alone.

Hey, Np. Base Set shadowless charizard still goes for a healthy $80-$100 if PSA 9-10

Archived