Suggenstions for how to improve the Mental Might deck?

Ktuluheretic

I've made a Free to Play deck list before that features only cards from Mental Might, Rallying Cry (which you get for free in the shop), Basic Red, Basic Green and Basic Blue.

Pokémon (15):

4x Kangaskhan PB

2x Bouffalant

2x Miltank

3x Ralts

2x Kirlia

2x Gallade

Trainers (33):

2x Energy Switch

2x Escape Rope

1x Evosoda

1x Level ball

2x Random Receiver

2x Roller Skates

3x Switch

1x Tool Scrapper

2x Ultra Ball

2x Bianca

3x Cheren

2x Colress

2x N

2x Juniper

2x Aspertia City Gym

2x Exp. Share

1x Hard Charm

Energy (13):

4x Double Colorless Energy

9x Psychic

Maximizing on Supporters and Trainers in particular helps improve the decks efficiency a ton.

The basic strategy of this deck is that you want to conserve energy by using cards such as EXP. Share, Energy Switch, Aspertia City Gym/Hard Charm, Escape Rope and Switch while you slowly evolve into Gallade.

Early game Kangaskhan is going to be your best friend while Bouffalant is usually going to be next on the list of attackers. Late game Miltank and Gallade will hopefully do a ton of work, especially since you have had a long time to build up energy.

It should be said that this deck is not very competitive but it's a major improvement of the theme decks it's made out of.

And also another "problem" is that Playing Bouffalant (and other cards) is Expanded. Expanded is more difficult than Standard. Even though plays less people there, usually is people with more cards and more experience.

On the other hand is the new people in the game that plays Bouffalant because they only have the starter decks and need something against EXs (our case).

If you face well built decks will be impossible to win as you're limiting a lot the cards you are playing with. But once there (in Expanded) I would probably add 2xCilan for draw energies. Attach one per turn minimum and Gallade will 1HKO whatever for 1 DCE.

I would also think if Ether could have a place here. Not the best card and we don't have 18 energies as the theme decks but could help to set up your team faster.

not all the players in expanded are better though.  the range of decks is just greater.

sometimes I swear expanded mode is easier, even without modifying my standard decks.

And also another "problem" is that Playing Bouffalant (and other cards) is Expanded. Expanded is more difficult than Standard. Even though plays less people there, usually is people with more cards and more experience.

On the other hand is the new people in the game that plays Bouffalant because they only have the starter decks and need something against EXs (our case).

If you face well built decks will be impossible to win as you're limiting a lot the cards you are playing with. But once there (in Expanded) I would probably add 2xCilan for draw energies. Attach one per turn minimum and Gallade will 1HKO whatever for 1 DCE.

I would also think if Ether could have a place here. Not the best card and we don't have 18 energies as the theme decks but could help to set up your team faster.

Bouffalant is unfortunately the best free pokémon you get from the theme decks. It alone is enough reason to stick to expanded when just starting out in my opinion.

It's important to note that there is an ELO rating system on PTCGO. When you're just starting out you will more than likely not be facing competitive decks. Which will generally not make which format you pick matter as much.

By the time you have built up your ELO rating to face more scary decks you have hopefully obtained enough cards to either upgrade or build an even stronger deck.

Ether is very inconsistent when you consider that only 15% of the deck consists of basic energy.

It's a very difficult card to make work effectively even with all cards available.

Many players tried using it alongside cards like Pokédex and Lunatone PS during it's release without much success.

The theory being that you play Pokédex and make the top card of your deck an energy then you play the Ether.

It's sometimes nuts if you have multiple Ether in the hand alongside the Pokédex.

However it's easier said than done to get both of these cards in the same hand and get an energy from the top 5.

It's actually even more difficult than getting a Rare Candy + Stage 2 which will generally have more impact than attaching an extra energy.

Ether is however very good in decks like Quad Heatmor and Quad Rayquaza EX where the majority of the deck is basic energy.

The reason why competitive deck lists don't run a lot of energy (15+**** because you can use powerful draw cards to get them instead. That way you can always refill your hand and keep getting more resources.

Cilan is a essentially a poor version of Professor's Letter since it doesn't take up your supporter for the turn.

With no search cards like Skyla I'm not a fan of using Professor's Letter in this deck list. I would rather play an extra energy instead of a Letter. It gives the deck one more energy to work with. While drawing the energy will generally be as good as drawing the Letter.

Read all through, but quite didn't understand what was happening here. How could you change a Mental Might Deck ! :blink:

Isn't it a theme deck, and what I now till now (I am new player) - that you can't change the Theme Decks and Mental might is a theme deck.

Please clarify, Thanks in advance.

Read all through, but quite didn't understand what was happening here. How could you change a Mental Might Deck ! :blink:

Isn't it a theme deck, and what I now till now (I am new player) - that you can't change the Theme Decks and Mental might is a theme deck.

Please clarify, Thanks in advance.

You can clone the deck and play with in Standard, Expanded an Unlimited.

You could play the deck only as it comes in Theme but once you copy is exported to the other game modes and you can (must) make changes to improve and face against other Standard, Expanded and Unlimited decks.

This makes you easy to build the full deck and make some changes in a Theme quitting and adding some cards and don't have to look for every card in your collection to built from 0 when you pretend to add most of them.

Where to play? It depends on what Generation the cards you got in the Theme and the ones you add were from.

Bouffalant is unfortunately the best free pokémon you get from the theme decks. It alone is enough reason to stick to expanded when just starting out in my opinion.

With no search cards like Skyla I'm not a fan of using Professor's Letter in this deck list. I would rather play an extra energy instead of a Letter. It gives the deck one more energy to work with. While drawing the energy will generally be as good as drawing the Letter.

I know it's more than proved Ether it's not even a good card, but I like haha. I'd like to being useful somewhere.

Sure you did your proves and it works the maximum this way, with the limited cards you can choose from the free basic decks.

It's nice to see things for beginners. Would you want to publish that Bouffalant/Gallade deck in this thread? > http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28694-the-best-decks-in-tcg/

Or I like to do it in your name if you agree.

Had to be a beginners deck but now there are all kind of decks. Saying of course it's constructed with all the limitations I think would be an interesting contribution.

I know it's more than proved Ether it's not even a good card, but I like haha. I'd like to being useful somewhere.

Sure you did your proves and it works the maximum this way, with the limited cards you can choose from the free basic decks.

It's nice to see things for beginners. Would you want to publish that Bouffalant/Gallade deck in this thread? > http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28694-the-best-decks-in-tcg/

Or I like to do it in your name if you agree.

Had to be a beginners deck but now there are all kind of decks. Saying of course it's constructed with all the limitations I think would be an interesting contribution.

I really like Ether as well, I think it's a good card design.  :)

In those Quad Decks it's actually amazing and hold a strong niche.

However in more regular decks it's unfortunately a lot more tricky to use and this is only because lacking support for the card. If there for example existed a basic Pokémon with a Pokédex ability Ether could be quite powerful.

Feel free to use any decklists I post how you want.

I do not necessarily need to take any credit for them either. 

As it turns out you will very rarely be alone with good ideas in TCGs.

I'm sure experienced players which just started playing on PTCGO have created similar lists.

It will probably not be an exact copy but the concept remaining the same.

Which makes it rather difficult to call a deck concept your own.

Archived