Frozen City

Quilavaflare

Hello there! I'm a little bit out of the loop and am at a bit of a loss as to the new meta, as I haven't played the TCG for some years now but am attempting to get back into it. So, I have a few questions surrounding a deck idea I got when I recently came across the Frozen City stadium card from the Plasma Freeze expansion. My original thought was something along the lines of a combo between this card and the Blaziken line from Primal Clash, but I realize that there are several other Pokémon that might work just as well in this scenario. The basic idea is to avoid ever directly attaching energy from your hand onto your Pokémon, thus keeping your own health while forcing extra damage on unprepared opponents whom require a lot of energy to supply their large EX attacks. In this case, using both Torchic and Blaziken's energy discarding attacks to supply your discard pile and then using Spreading Flames to quickly re-attach them where necessary. However, I'm not entirely sure if Frozen City's damage is enough to warrant to going to any such troubles, or if it would even be helpful. I'm also not sure how popular Team Plasma Pokémon are, (which would of course render this useless) or if there are Pokémon better suited to energy handling than Blaziken. This is just a rough idea for now, so if anyone could provide me with some feedback I would appreciate it.

Hey, good to have you back!

Team Plasma cards aren't as popular as they u see d to be, but the idea you have sounds pretty awesome. Do you have/want a decklist?

Hello there! I'm a little bit out of the loop and am at a bit of a loss as to the new meta, as I haven't played the TCG for some years now but am attempting to get back into it. So, I have a few questions surrounding a deck idea I got when I recently came across the Frozen City stadium card from the Plasma Freeze expansion. My original thought was something along the lines of a combo between this card and the Blaziken line from Primal Clash, but I realize that there are several other Pokémon that might work just as well in this scenario. The basic idea is to avoid ever directly attaching energy from your hand onto your Pokémon, thus keeping your own health while forcing extra damage on unprepared opponents whom require a lot of energy to supply their large EX attacks. In this case, using both Torchic and Blaziken's energy discarding attacks to supply your discard pile and then using Spreading Flames to quickly re-attach them where necessary. However, I'm not entirely sure if Frozen City's damage is enough to warrant to going to any such troubles, or if it would even be helpful. I'm also not sure how popular Team Plasma Pokémon are, (which would of course render this useless) or if there are Pokémon better suited to energy handling than Blaziken. This is just a rough idea for now, so if anyone could provide me with some feedback I would appreciate it.

This is an interesting idea! However I find it a useful stadium in Team Plasma decks, since lugia's 120dmg attack can't knock out EXs on it's own, it needs the extra 20dmg from frozem city to help.

Currently, I do not have an actual deck list. However I am working on one. I haven't considered all of the possibilities yet, but I have a general idea of what I want. To start with, the typical evolution hourglass for the Blaziken line would be necessary, followed by a few Rare Candies. (We all know how painfully slow it would go otherwise!) Other Pokémon that might pair well with Blaziken are Flashfire Charizard EX or Victini EX, Team Magma's Camerupt and Flashfire Pyroar. Some trainer cards I've considered putting in include things like Crushing Hammers / Enhanced Hammers, Head Ringer, and Team Flare Grunt to maximize the effect of Frozen City. (Possibly) Energy Switch, Exp. Share, Blacksmith, and Fiery Torch as well, which coincide well with Blaziken to speed up the energy moving process and help with draw power as well. All that, the standardized Trainer cards, Frozen City itself, and a load of basic Fire energies are what should conceivably make up this deck. For me it's just a matter of deciding which of these cards should make the cut and figuring out what the standard trainer cards to include are. Is there any chance someone could give me a little insight into these things? Because, like I said before, I really don't have a good idea of the current meta, and therefore which cards would be most effective.

@pokemanz88: I do recall having seen something like that before, and it did look like it worked pretty effectively, but I think the main point of this new deck is try something new and unpredictable. I might later try out what you have suggested if this idea doesn't go over well, thank you.

Hello Quilavaflare,

Right now Stadium cards are getting pretty important to decks; most decks don't shut down entirely when their chosen Stadium isn't it play, but there are a few that struggle, especially when not only is it a different Stadium than what that deck runs in play, but when a Stadium that hurts their deck is in play.  For example, there is a deck known as Night March, built around Pokémon with the Night March attack.  If you've never heard of it, don't worry; all that is relevant to this discussion is that most versions run the Stadium Dimension Valley, which reduces the Energy cost to attack for Psychic-Type Pokémon by [C] e.g. an attack that normally costs [CC] only requires [C].  Sometimes this deck makes use of Mew-EX, a Basic Pokémon with an Ability.  The Stadium Silent Lab shuts of Abilities on Basic Pokémon, rendering Mew-EX nearly useless.  So when Dimension Valley is not in play, the deck is slowed down and when Silent Lab is in play, the deck is hurt even worse!

Frozen City has a pretty useful effect, but it is important to note it is only useful on your opponent's turn.  Why is that relevant?  Unless you play other cards to lock Frozen City in play, your opponent merely needs his or her own Stadium card to get rid of Frozen City so that your strategy begins to fall apart.  While I do still encounter decks that run few or no Stadiums, most I see that are successful run at least two, but that is mostly anecdotal as I don't have the lists for the winners of recent State Championship.

There are some decks that can use this card well, but they are most Team Plasma decks.  The non-Team Plasma decks that can use Frozen City well are better suited to other Stadiums; for example Aromatisse decks can move Energy around, so they could drop a Frozen City and either attach to a single Pokémon (periodically healing it) or an actual Team Plasma Pokémon (so that there was no damage in the first pace) and then move the Energy to the desired location, but most find Fairy Garden more useful to the deck as it provides a free Retreat Cost for anything with a source of Fairy Energy attached.

If I was to build a different deck around it, I might make a Stadium deck built around Gothitelle (XY: Furious Fists 41/111) and Ninetales (XY: Primal Clash 21/160); this way you can drop a Stadium into play and as needed, change it out for one in your discard pile while your opponent has to either use an effect to discard your Stadium (as they won't be able to play their own Stadium cards from hand) or shut down Abilities and then play a Stadium card.

Yes, I realize that normally Frozen City affects your own Pokémon. That is why I was suggesting the use of Blaziken (XY-Primal Clash 28/160) and Charizard EX (XY-Flashfire 11/106). I suppose there might be an understanding here, is all... These two Pokémon have attacks that allow you to attach energy to themselves and other Pokémon without putting them down directly from your hand. In this way, you never actually activate Frozen City's effects against your own Pokémon. Charizard's Stoke takes energy directly from the deck and attaches them to itself. Blaziken pulls them out of the discard pile and can place them nearly anywhere in play with Spreading Flames after Charizard EX, the Torchic it evolves from, or (depending on whether or not it actually gets put in this deck) Flaming Torch puts them there.

Thank you for your insight, Otakutron. I think I understand what you are saying. So in other words, Frozen City can be successful, but stadiums are often too flimsy to rely heavily upon without any support. Are you suggesting that I scrap the previous idea completely or that I try to incorporate the Pokémon you have mentioned into the strategy in order to keep Frozen City in play? A few more things... What are some ways that you think the opposition might try to get around these two Pokémon besides Garbodor's Ability? I'm also a bit concerned that having too many different evolution lines might make it hard to draw the right cards. Do you think it is too risky to play just Ninetales and not Gothitelle on the chance that the Ninetale's ability is avoided or nullified? Or should I just scrap the Blaziken line entirely and play these two with Charizard EX/something else instead?

The problem I see is that you are adding a workaround to a card normally functions as a speed bump. I love energy acceleration. In fire, I run Victini and Blacksmith. For stadium I run Scorched Earth to draw extra card and put energy into the discard pile to fuel Blackmith. I can have a fully powered up Charizard by turn 2 very easily. Now downside, all card draw and energy ramp.

If you are considering Frozen City for extra damage, the current meta is going the Hypnotoxic Laser route to make EXs easier to knockout. They also run Virbank City Gym for extra poison damage. That puts a huge clock on the opposing Pokemon and again has no downside to you. Unless they return the favor with a laser of their own.

Those are my 2 cents.

Yes, you are probably right. There is little to no realistic reason to believe that such a deck could ever really keep up with the more popular ones, especially since you could easily play Team Plasma cards for the same or better effect. Not to mention, it would easily be shut down by decks that do run Team Plasma Pokémon.

I appreciate the input from everyone regardless. It was a fun idea while it lasted, and I was glad for the chance to learn a bit more about what it is I'm going up against in the modern PTCGO world.

I've recently switched from frozen city to plasma frigate.

problem was I didn't have that many good stadium cards for my lugia-ex *******

after getting lugia-ex blown up by some electric types enough times, and collecting frigates, I finally opted for frigate.

Archived