Xerosic vs Omega Barrier

AGGarchomp

My opponents have been able to use Xerosic to discard Strong Energies off Primal Groudon-EX, despite Omega Barrier. As far as I can tell, Xerosic functions similarly to hammers, so this would be against the rules, although I could be mistaken as I don't play competitively anymore.

Xerosic's text doesn't specify a pokemon; it specifically targets an energy or tool. In my reading, that means it should work even on energies and tools attached to Primal Groudon-EX. Of course, I don't know if an official ruling has been made on that.

Barrier applies to trainer cards only, no bug involved here as far as i see it.

Lol, scratch that, i was mixing trainers and items, forgot that supporters are trainer cards as well.

Anyways, i think stukom might be right.

Couldn't find anything explicit on it by team compendium on it on pokegym, but there was a post asking about hammers vs Omega Barrier, and the ruling was that enhanced/crushing hammers couldn't remove energy from omega barrier guys. Pretty sure these boards censor links, but the thread is easy to find with a quick google search. 

Xerosic's wording is a bit different than the wording on hammers, so maybe that has something to do with it, but people are also using Team Flare Grunt on primal groudon, which should work exactly like hammers. 

If a judge or someone who's involved with the competitive scene could say something about the barrier ruling, that'd be cool. 

My gym ruled that Xerosic shouldn't work: I think the text is similar to crushing hammer or enhanced hammer: those 'target' an energy as well.  Otherwise Omega Barrier basically doesn't do anything except stop escape rope and Lysandre.

Yeah, both say 'attached to . . . pokemon' and specify the target as 'an energy' or whatever, it's the same, except one works after quaking hammer, can discard a tool also and messes with your draw power and the other doesn't. . .

This is absolutely an error on the part of PTCGO. I'll spell it out:

• Omega Barrier clearly reads "trainer cards excluding tools and stadiums";
  • The current definition of "trainer" is "all items, stadiums, and supporters";
  • Xerosic is a Supporter, a subset of Trainer;
  • Xerosic is being used by the opponent, therefore
  • Omega Barrier shuts off Xerosic

This is an error that's existed since the release of Primal Clash. It's a shame it hasn't been fixed yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, the exclusions are identified: since supporters are all trainers and are not tools or stadiums they are blocked by omega barrier.

One of the moderators has indicated that another supporter 'Team Flare Grunt' is discarding energy from Primal Groudon also, they plan to rectify that error. 

Dear Moderators, please ask the development team to include Xerosic as part of the fix, other supporters like Lysandre are already blocked by Omega Barrier it must be possible to apply the same to Team Flare Grunt and Xerosic.

All supporters are trainers, but not all trainers are supporters (?)

Moderators please refer to the Team Flare Grunt and Omega Barrier thread and hopefully this thread will close with the same satisfying conclusion that one did.

Of course, my interest in this is purely selfish. . .

groudon. . . smash (?)

Hey there!

This was an issue a while back, and it was believed to have been fixed in the Version 2.27 update (March 25th). Have you experienced this since that update? We have not been able to reproduce what you've reported since then.

Thanks for your report and your cooperation! :)

Have you experienced this since that update?

Considering the update in question happened before this topic was even posted, the answer is probably yes.  But that doesn't account for updates since then -- the more important question is: is it still happening right now?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stratadrake,

We've found that sometimes a player may wait a few days to report a bug, due to being busy, taking a while to find the proper place to report a bug, etc. - just checking to see if that's the case here, as this thread was only created a few days after that update. :)

If anyone else does experience this, please let us know so we can re-open that investigation.

Thanks!

Archived