Why is the iOS version of PTCGO so unstable?

evolverATL

The last 2 updates have added a slew of new features, but honestly I would love to kill the pack opening animation and any other new features in exchange for just being able to play the darn game.

I makes me so MAD to play 12 minutes into a match and get one turn away from winning and then the app completely crashes and I've lost not only my time but any prizes. Granted tournaments will reconnect back to your last move, but Versus matches are completely lost.

This is not an isolated event, This happens constantly and it's to the point where I am now playing exclusively on my laptop because I can't even play on iPad anymore due to crashing. I thought the update from 2 days ago would be an improvement, but it was not. I literally spend more time launching the game than actually playing. How sad is that?

In addition to, crashing during matches.I also crashes during creating a trade.

C'mon folks what does it take to make a stable iOS version?

Hi EvolverATL,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration playing the PTCGO on your iPad.  I personally play regularly on iPad and don't experience what you report.

If you could, can you please tell me: 

• What hardware version it is (iPad1, iPad2, iPad3, iPad Air, etc.)
  • What version OS it is running (found by going to Settings -> General -> About and looking for “Version”)

Thanks!

Hi EvolverATL,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration playing the PTCGO on your iPad.  I personally play regularly on iPad and don't experience what you report.

If you could, can you please tell me: 

• What hardware version it is (iPad1, iPad2, iPad3, iPad Air, etc.)
  • What version OS it is running (found by going to Settings -> General -> About and looking for “Version”)

Thanks!

I am running iPad mini 2nd generation with iOS 8.1.

These are the issues I run into when attempting to use the game on iPad:

1. App crashes when I attempt to type in chat mode while playing a game.

2. Creating a trade takes no less than 30 seconds when I click Public Trade button.

3. If I type a card name in the search field and then attempt to search for another card name it crashes the app.

4. Recently, when playing there's a 4 second lag when playing Pokemon from my hand to the bench. Also same lag when putting energy on a Pokemon.

5. Random crashes during game play – most annoying when I've got 10 or more minutes put into a match and am about to win. Crash in versus mode completely loses the match. In tournament mode you at least have 5 minutes to rejoin where you left off.

6. App crashes when tapping to view discard pile. Again this is random. Sometimes it work and sometimes it doesn't. It's difficult to avoid tapping your discard pile when you are playing energy retrievals. 

7. Supposedly the pack opening animation has been fixed, but I've lost 6+ packs to pack opening crashes in the past so I gave up attempting to open packs on the iPad. I do all my shop and trades from my laptop.

8. Random defeats – this one is a mystery, but it's happened a few times. I thought it was me running out of play time, but I had it happen where my opponent had a Seismitoad in play active against a Suicune. I would attack into him and he could do no damage to me. He ran out of play time and somehow I lost the match. I've been watching the timer in my matches and have had plenty of time left only to have a random defeat messages pop up in the middle of playing a match. I wish I could attribute it to something I was doing, but it's so random.

9. Match confusion – this just happened two days ago. I went into a Versus match, it "froze up" on selecting starting Pokemon. My opponent's avatar was glowing showing that it was their turn, but my play timer was counting down. I had no game play options, so I couldn't do anything. I received inactive player warning multiple times. I eventually had to quit the app (the only clickable thing I could do was concede) because I literally couldn't play and it was ticking down my time.

These are the most frequently frustrating thing I've been experiencing in playing PTCGO since the last 2 updates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy the game. I just wish it was easier to actually play.

Thanks for the list, EvolverATL! I have forwarded it to our testing team to see what can be reproduced and documented for the team to address.

Archived