Team Magma Groudon --> Primal Groudon?

natewarden777

So I am looking to build a deck featuring Team Magma Groundon-EX. Can this pokemon evolve into Primal Groudon? 

I'm tossing around Pyroar counters, and this seems to be a great one if Garbotoxin were to be shut off or unavailable. 

I'm looking to include:

Team Magma Groudon-EX

Garbodor

Hawlucha

Landorus 

Maybe Bats (or something to get damage to the benches should the magma stadium not be effective)

As you can see it's wide open for pyroar should garbotoxin get shut off. 

Suggestions?

Actually it would discard the Double Fighting Energy if it did, so that seems counter productive even if it would evolve...

I don't think it can. "Team Magma's Groudon-EX" doesn't technically have the same name as "Groudon-EX", and Primal Groudon-EX specifically says "Evolves from Groudon-EX".

the double magma energy only lasts one turn.  so you attack with it preferably and then it's in the discard pile (until by some mechanism to come you get it out)

if you really wanted to run the double magma energy, you'd probably have more than one poke to put it on.

so you would attack with magma-ex groudon, and it would be in the discard pile

one thing to remember about this card though:

If there are 4 or fewer team magma Pokémon in play, this Pokémon can't attack.

to me, this makes it practically unplayable.  what's the point? 

I don't think it can. "Team Magma's Groudon-EX" doesn't technically have the same name as "Groudon-EX", and Primal Groudon-EX specifically says "Evolves from Groudon-EX".

they are not making these cards very playable it seems.  I thought they would treat team magma and aqua as parallel's to team plasma.  very strange.

Silent Lab/ Garbotoxin turns the ability off = playable + sets you up to counter safeguard nicely

I didn't read the card for the Double Fighting... The one turn thing is interesting, gotta reconsider...

Building the deck when I get home tonite, so I'm stewing on it today

oh man, you discard the Double Fighting at the end of the turn...NOT after you attack.

That's a HUGE drawback.... 

Def makes it more difficult

Literally the only way I can consider Magma Groudon even worthy of something like [Content removed - discussion of websites other than official Pokémon sites is not permitted. -Mod. Poplar] is by pairing it with Silent Lab to shut off its stupid Ability, and Crobat lines to drop damage counters for its attack. Even then, that heavy Energy cost and being weak to VirGen just kills it.

well if it can OHKO VirGen then a focus sash or weakness policy could help.

but idk ******** overcome the DFE mechanics

the idea was to build up one in 2-3 turns, ohko, ohko, scramble switch to another, ohko, etc...

bats/magma stadium for initial damage

strong energy/muscle band for the megas

garbador/silent lab to remove its abilitys and shut off others

etc...

Archived