BEST Tournament Reward Structure!

evolverATL

Approximately from 11 pm 3/23 to about noon 3/24, there was a 3 ticket Standard tournament running on PTCG online where the reward structure was:

1st place: 2 packs +1 random pack

2nd Place: 1 pack +1 random pack

3rd & 4th Place: 1 random pack

5th - 8th Place: 25 tokens

I have to say this has been the best tournament reward structure so far. I am sad that it lasted less than 24 hours. Usually 3rd and 4th placed get a single tournament ticket. I have always felt that was a pretty lame reward for a first round win. I hope to see this prize structure make a return soon. What does everyone else think?

To be fair, Tournament tickets are more useful to most of the players than the Tokens are. Whilst Tokens can only be used in the Shop to get locked cards and other gaming items, Tournament tickets allow you an opportunity to get trade-able packs and, by extension, trade-able cards.

Having a Ticket as a prize for 3rd and 4th place ensures that you're getting something back so you can have another shot at getting trade-able packs especially if you get another 4 of them in a Prize Wheel in the same match.

according to an official post to ptcgo subreddit it was a bug that 3-4th place got 1 pack.  

was it super nice? yes.  but it probably put too many packs into the economy too quickly.  in general though i wish there was a format where you paid way more tickets for slightly more rewards.  like 10 tickets for 6 - 3 - 1 - 0  (1st 2nd 3rd/4th 5th-8th) packs, thats 80 tickets for 10 packs compared to the 24 tickets for 5 packs right now.  tournaments are really time consuming and it REALLY is nice to be able to get a pack from your first win as it allows certain hard counter decks to have a chance to get packs.

Yeah, the key word here is "the economy" -- there's a certain balance between total entry cost (between all 8 players) and total prizes paid out (between all 8 players).  Yes, it would be nice for one win to guarantee one pack, but that would add an extra 4 packs to the total prize pool, which would necessitate a higher entry fee to balance it out.  And the higher the entry fee, the less often players will be able to participate.

Yeah, the key word here is "the economy" -- there's a certain balance between total entry cost (between all 8 players) and total prizes paid out (between all 8 players).  Yes, it would be nice for one win to guarantee one pack, but that would add an extra 4 packs to the total prize pool, which would necessitate a higher entry fee to balance it out.  And the higher the entry fee, the less often players will be able to participate.

Startadrake is correct on the economy part.

That is one allure of the 5 ticket entry tournaments that we do on the weekends.  3rd and 4th place get a random booster.  Also, 1st place in those tournaments takes home 3 XY boosters and 2 random boosters, which is a nice haul for making it to 1st.

That is one allure of the 5 ticket entry tournaments that we do on the weekends.  3rd and 4th place get a random booster.  Also, 1st place in those tournaments takes home 3 XY boosters and 2 random boosters, which is a nice haul for making it to 1st.

I am totally down with the higher payout for 5 ticket tourneys. I've acquired so many tickets from Versus matches, that it's cool to be able to turn those into something useful like tradable packs instead of just piling up doing nothing.  I haven't seen a 5 ticket tourney in Standard format, yet. Just Expanded. Can we get some Standard love?

I understand the economy thing, but Startadrakes math is off. It only adds an additional 2 packs to the pool because out of the second round the two winners will take either 1st or 2nd place, which have their own prize tier.

cool, I had assumed the 5 ticket tourneys had their 3/4th place nerfed as well, so it is great to see that they get a pack.  

@evolverATL, they are on a schedule, so every 4 weeks standard will be on the weekend 5 ticket rotation.  you can play standard deck in unlimited and extended fine tho, in my experience most people just play standard decks in them with a few people doing some modifications and even fewer with entirely new decks for those formats.

I am totally down with the higher payout for 5 ticket tourneys. I've acquired so many tickets from Versus matches, that it's cool to be able to turn those into something useful like tradable packs instead of just piling up doing nothing.  I haven't seen a 5 ticket tourney in Standard format, yet. Just Expanded. Can we get some Standard love?

I understand the economy thing, but Startadrakes math is off. It only adds an additional 2 packs to the pool because out of the second round the two winners will take either 1st or 2nd place, which have their own prize tier.

... but Startadrakes math is off. It only adds an additional 2 packs to the pool because out of the second round the two winners will take either 1st or 2nd place, which have their own prize tier.

My math is never off :P  But you're right, I forgot that the prize schedules are not cumulative, so yes it would be a +2 packs in the prize pool and not +4.

My math is never off :P  But you're right, I forgot that the prize schedules are not cumulative, so yes it would be a +2 packs in the prize pool and not +4.

LOL

In some of the early tournaments, the prize schedule was cumulative (e.g. 1st, 2nd, 1st-4th, 1st-8th), but they fixed that in later tournaments to make the prize schedule easier to understand.

Archived