Matching algorithm change?

VancouverDad

Hi Everyone,

Has the ranked matching algorithm changed in the last couple of weeks or something?

Why do I ask?

I was going along fine until a couple of weeks ago, winning a few and losing a few, and suddenly almost everyone I've been playing in the evenings has had decks that are completely full art rares, etc.  I haven't changed my decks but I seem to be encountering much, much more high end decks than I ever have before.  I still win a few but I'm generally getting trounced all the time.

So did something change?  Or is it possible I got bumped up into a different ranking by whatever matching algorithm?  Decks that I was getting about a 65% win rate are now getting about 20%.  And my decks aren't cookie cutter decks such as donphan that are now being countered.  Or maybe I've just become a worse player?

Thoughts?

Canada Dad

The algorithm has stayed the same to my knowledge (There would've been an announcement if it was)

Maybe you just got better. That can happen :)

• 3 weeks later...

It also seems to me that a lot of players have changed play modes, I play a lot more random now that they've added the daily challenges, don't know about anyone else though.

Happened to me more or less near that dates or maybe a week later. I built a new deck and suddenly all I faced were Seismitoads (plenty of), Yveltals, VirGen (a lot) and that kind of strong decks I had never faced before.

Strange. The decks I have more wins are all Theme 32/37 and 35/47 trainers challenge included and in Standard 10/15. Not a lot of games but in the Trainers challenge.

because the game does not reveal your rating etc.  we can never tell if there is a bug or if something is just a coincidence.  

sometimes shifting tournament schedules will cause shifts up and down in skill.  I remember when tournaments were first turned on, the level of play in ranked just dropped like a rock.  but those shifts are temporary.

the wildcard is how the rating works with multiple decks.  who knows it could have been you got a high rank from a diff deck and now you go back to your normal deck and it just keeps using your highest rating or something like that.

I was noticing the same thing and I did not consider that tournaments are having an impact. I thought that maybe the ratings got reset in the last big patch based on the opponents I was playing. It also could be that there is rating decay because I haven't played ranked constructed in awhile. When I was playing standard on a daily basis I had a high rating and pretty much only got paired with tier 1 decks. Then I stopped playing for a few months. The last few days I started playing ranked again and I end up playing the most random off the wall decks. It was like I dropped all the way to the bottom of the rating scale based on what my opponents were playing. It wasn't like I was playing people doing challenges either. A lot of the decks were like 3-5 types of random pokemon from all imaginable sets. I just thought it was weird. Clearly if I keep winning I won't be playing these players anymore.

I kind of wish they would at least give us some of the metrics for how it's determined, but I can see that destroying some of the casual nature of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I experience wierd possibly coincidental matchups that seem to almost be by design.  I'll build some deck on a whim and my first match in ranked will be against someone trying almost exactly the same thing: that's happened several times, or I will be matched up against a deck to which the deck I have just created has a blatant weakness.  Maybe it seems to happen more often because I notice it and remember those instances, it can't be some brilliant algorithm thing can it?  It's not like HAL-9000 has a sense of humour or irony or something.

I experience wierd possibly coincidental matchups that seem to almost be by design.  I'll build some deck on a whim and my first match in ranked will be against someone trying almost exactly the same thing: that's happened several times, or I will be matched up against a deck to which the deck I have just created has a blatant weakness.  Maybe it seems to happen more often because I notice it and remember those instances, it can't be some brilliant algorithm thing can it?  It's not like HAL-9000 has a sense of humour or irony or something.

I notice this as well, a lot.  Especially the first battle of the day, it's always against the mirror or the autoloss.  And then that repeats a lot.  Then I switch decks to a completely different deck and then I get matched up a lot vs. that mirror and that autoloss...it is very strange...the matching up process is definitely not "even" overall (as we've described above), and very strange how it changes when you switch decks..

Archived