What has scooped will never die

NattyB

Has anyone else noticed that people are still playing scoop decks? Instead of using Manaphy (Phione?.... names) and Combee, they're now using the new Tentacool. Not only can I not understand why people still do this, but I also don't get why they would design cards that shuffle themselves back into the deck (except for that Accelgor that turned out to be pretty boss).

My biggest question is why? There's nothing of value on the loser's wheel, so it's not like there's anything to farm anymore.

Has anyone else noticed that people are still playing scoop decks? Instead of using Manaphy (Phione?.... names) and Combee, they're now using the new Tentacool. Not only can I not understand why people still do this, but I also don't get why they would design cards that shuffle themselves back into the deck (except for that Accelgor that turned out to be pretty boss).

My biggest question is why? There's nothing of value on the loser's wheel, so it's not like there's anything to farm anymore.

My post is answer to your first question as to why such cards are designed.

Cards that shuffle back into the deck /hand are a good means of inflicting damage and then escaping back.

once a card goes back in hand, so do all the damage counters.

New boosters keep on coming in , , so do newer cards. Who knows what possible combos might be possible in the future ? we have tentacool, phione, combee, i may very well like to try out a deck made of it .. Maybe in the future, more support for it comes. . we never know /// Game's involving and it keeps us on our toes. . There r many instances of cards being worthless when they were in standard . . and popular again .. once out of format

most recent example - ho-oh EX with huntail

it's exciting altogether .. I agree that there r many cards which don't have so much add-on value ... when seen from the context of the EX's . .and Mega's // But you should appreciate these cards which r a standout than the usual filler up ones. . And if you just. . only just. . try exciting formats ( ofc these rn't official ones . . r made by players ) . .U'll come to appreciate them .and this game more than ever ( example .. 100HP max say )

I include a tentacool in my night-march deck so that Mew can be reset easily after taking damage.

with the dimension valley he only needs 1 energy to get back in the game provided joltik is on the bench.

Combee and Muscle Band in a Vileplume deck or Phione with a Silver Bangle in the same deck is great because when you hit for weakness, 50 x 4 = 200! 200 = KO, and they won't discard your Rainbow Energy you just attached.

I include a tentacool in my night-march deck so that Mew can be reset easily after taking damage.

with the dimension valley he only needs 1 energy to get back in the game provided joltik is on the bench.

****** why did I not think of this.

to answer your second question, the reason people do this in ptcgo is because there is no reward for being higher on the rank ladder.

since the only thing that matters are wins, and you are ranked, a seemingly optimal strategy is to lose intentionally but very quickly, then play when your rank is very low so you play against decks that are much worse in strength and get easy wins. unfortunately, the more people that do that the more messed up and inconsistent the rankings get and less fun is had by all.

the root cause is that the system is not setup properly: the reward system and the ranking system are at odds with each other. rewards should be somewhat tied to how you do in the ranks not just purely on wins.

to answer your second question, the reason people do this in ptcgo is because there is no reward for being higher on the rank ladder.

since the only thing that matters are wins, and you are ranked, a seemingly optimal strategy is to lose intentionally but very quickly, then play when your rank is very low so you play against decks that are much worse in strength and get easy wins. unfortunately, the more people that do that the more messed up and inconsistent the rankings get and less fun is had by all.

the root cause is that the system is not setup properly: the reward system and the ranking system are at odds with each other. rewards should be somewhat tied to how you do in the ranks not just purely on wins.

And a week later, a relevant response to my original concern. Thank you for shedding light on yet another flawed system.

@kalendae.. your proposition is hardly fair to the new ppl in the game.. after all, it's mind numbingly hard for them to start trading.. if you take battle rewards away too, i'm afraid they will not be able to find much in the game for themselves...

on the other hand, if prize winning was somehow linked to time spent in battle.. that would make sense.. it would provide no incentive for the good player to drop a few ranks down to speed up his earning as his prize size would decrease too..

just my opinion.. hope you guys understand :)

I've encountered this four times already today alone: twice with Combee and twice with Tentacool. It's frustrating because even though I get a free spin on the winner's wheel, it artificially inflated my ranking, and I miss the fun of the battle. I feel like these players are very bad sports.

It would, however, be interesting to put together a genuine deck that is designed around these hit-and-return attacks, that would be a fun challenge.

I've encountered this four times already today alone: twice with Combee and twice with Tentacool. It's frustrating because even though I get a free spin on the winner's wheel, it artificially inflated my ranking, and I miss the fun of the battle. I feel like these players are very bad sports.

It would, however, be interesting to put together a genuine deck that is designed around these hit-and-return attacks, that would be a fun challenge.

Been there, done that. At least with Combee.

The Combee Air Force (a.k.a. Combee/Vespiquen/Crobat/Mew + Tropius/Shaymin). I posted an earlier version in theArtichokecat's thread.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/29223-vespiquen-crobat/

Archived