The best XY theme deck? (Info + Poll)

Chasista

Users best XY Theme deck  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider the best XY theme deck?

• Kalos - Chespin Deck
    • Kalos - Fennekin Deck
    • Kalos - Froakie Deck
    • XY - Resilient Life (Xerneas)
    • XY - Destruction Rush (Yveltal)
    • Flashfire - Brilliant Thunder (Heliolisk)
    • Flashfire - Mystic Typhoon (Meowstic)
    • Furious Fists - Enchanted Echo (Sylveon)
    • Furious Fists - Dark Hammer (Pangoro)
    • Phantom Forces - Burning Winds (Talonflame)
    • Phantom Forces - Bolt Twister (Galvantula)
    • Primal Clash - Ocean's Core (Kyogre)
    • Primal Clash - Earth's Pulse (Groudon)
    • Roaring Skies - Aurora Blast (Articuno)
    • Roaring Skies - Storm Rider (Zapdos)
    • Ancient Origins - Iron Tide (Metagross)
    • Ancient Origins - Stone Heart (Regirock)

Easy, vote in the poll. And say why :)

Leave useful info about the decks as itself, to play theme, to build another custom decks, to get some trainers...

Vote can be changed. ¡Poll updated including Ancient Origins theme decks!

3 out of 22 :unsure:

Nobody wants to say why?

+ I'd like to know why the Chespin out of the three Kalos SS.

Voted for the Resilient Life theme deck :), I think with Aromatisse to move energies around and Xerneas XY as a solid attacker with the second attack and options for energy acceleration with the first attack, it is probably the strongest deck from my personal experience.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Resilient Life is a good start for new players because it has a lot of useful cards

like the ones Matthew mentioned above. :)

Xerneas and Aromatisse offer quick energy acceleration and the ability to be flexible with your energy. 

(Also, I think there's Fairy Garden in the deck which allows you to retreat your active for free and save energy.)

This is certainly a deck where I appreciate the large amount of energy in it.

Yes, there is a Fairy Garden Stadium on the Resilient Life deck. I saw some videos and it's just the way you both comment. If you get Xerneas there is a lot of chances to win. But sometimes it's difficult to get Xerneas and Aromatisse and the other ones are not as strong as to win by themselves sometimes. Anyway good one.

I recently got Kalos Froakie and love it. Very easy to play and well balanced. Not as good as this same customized changing a pair of basic ones and adding some more trainers but I often got the two available Greninja of the deck and a Bisharp or both even. The only lack is that's not powerful at all but on the other hand, has  very very low costs on retreating the Pokemon so a strategic play can make you triumph.

I like both Resilient Life and Bolt Twister theme decks, but my ultimate choice is Dark Hammer.

Even if it shows few trainer cards you could set up your field pretty fast; besides it has some pokémon that hits for a good damage with one or two energy: you can rely on them while setting up your bench.

Pangoro do is work well hitting for a nice damage while running out your opponent's deck, Hariyama and Machamp are two nice wall with their damage reduction, and can pack a punch too!

Finally, I appreciate that you can evolve every single monster in the deck: that's quite uncommon for a theme.

I can't say nothing about Primal Crash ones, and to be honest I haven't tried Mystic Typhoon yet.

Maybe you should have added to the poll the basic theme decks (even if they're not from XY expansion): Mental Might has some momentum too!

I did not tried Bolt Twister yet. I like water Pokemons but I did not see good electric ones on many decks. Hey! I am not saying it's a bad deck, just does not draw (my) attention to get it the first.

i agree, Dark Hammer.it's a very powerful deck. When you understand how to play it can beat any other one. Very good recommendation.

Primal clash just coming. Had to be in the poll. Maybe someone trust in Kyogre or Groudon to solve all his/her battles.

The basic ones are cool all of them, maybe Rallying Cry the less and Mental Might the more. I did not include the basic Green, Blue, Red sets nor Rallying Cry and Mental Might because everybody have it and I was thinking in kind of a post where beginners (like me), could read about that decks they have to buy and decide or get inform before of doing.

One like this pinned may be helpful to new players.

The basic ones are cool all of them, maybe Rallying Cry the less and Mental Might the more. I did not include the basic Green, Blue, Red sets nor Rallying Cry and Mental Might because everybody have it and I was thinking in kind of a post where beginners (like me), could read about that decks they have to buy and decide or get inform before of doing.

One like this pinned may be helpful to new players.

That's a good point :)

Dark Hammer stays the strongest one for me. I haven't bought Froakie and Mystic Typhoon decks yet. I played with all the others.

Resilient Life is good against most trainer challenge matches but anything with energy discarding destroys it (for example, Zack in City Championship if I recal correctly). The deck is also not very consistent because you have 1 Aromatisse and 1 Fairy Stadium in the deck and not enough or any cards to search them reliably. It can certainly help getting good cards for a custom fairy deck though. Something not a lot of people mention is it also has some other good pokemon in it such as Slurpuff (Sweet Veil) and Scolipede.

Bolt Twister is a good deck but feels a bit slow to get going compared to Dark Hammer. With Trick Coin and Fearow you can get some invincibility going to gain time. Feraligatr is strong but takes time to set it up properly. Galvantula also do some stall and damage. Frillish again buys time with Confusion.

Chespin deck has two strong lines one is obviously Chespin and the other is Snubbul. Other pokemon in the deck are either not evolving or not great. I also like the fact that it is a fairy-grass deck.

Destruction Rush I've played with recently. I think it's a decent deck. Basic Yveltal is strong and it also has energy recursion. Other significant pokemons in the deck are a full Sandile line and a Dugtrio. Others are either too few or too slow or needs more setup etc.

Fennekin deck is good. It has 2 Delphox much like Chespin deck. Delphox discards energy from itself. Sometimes it's best to keep it a Braixen depending on your hand. You'll see why if you play the deck. Braixen is an ok stage 1 pokemon. Other pokemon of note are Mightyenas.

Brilliant Thunder has Quick Attack (60+30) Heliolisk, Electricounter Luxio, Flamethrower Torkoal, Overrun Rapidash, Pidgeot and Lopunny. All are from Flashfire set. You can set up a Luxio for a losing late game to do huge amount of damage with it. Overrun opponent bench with Rapidash and do 120 damage with Pidgeot with Strong Gust.

Enchanted Echo has Energy Evolution Eevee which can even evolve on first turn if I'm not mistaken. Both of Sylveon's attacks are great. Leafeon is also good but Sylveon is superior. Victreebel has Wafting Scent and healing. A great pokemon all around. Accelgor and Tornadus are also great. Accelgor can do 60 damage for 1 colorless and has another attack that makes opponent flip a coin for its attack to go through. Tornadus can switch opponent's active and can do 120 damage provided you and your opponents have the same amount of cards in your hands which can be arranged consistently at least against the idea with some draw cards etc.

Burning Winds has some great pokemon in Talonflame, Pyroar, Venomoth, Loudred and Chansey. Talonflame can do 120 damage for 3 energies. Pyroar has Lysandre built-in and a strong attack but inferior to Talonflame. Yanmega has no retreat cost and can do 100 damage and draw cards. You can arrange it to do 100 damage for some turns if you have to. You will need to retreat other pokemon and put it in play that turn to do that. Venomoth poisons and confuses at the same time. Loudred has Energy Press attack. Chansey has healing and 100 damage if you have 7 cards in your hand.

Fennekin deck is good. It has 2 Delphox much like Chespin deck. Delphox discards energy from itself. Sometimes it's best to keep it a Braixen depending on your hand. You'll see why if you play the deck. Braixen is an ok stage 1 pokemon. Other pokemon of note are Mightyenas.

I got Fennekin theme deck today and... I am disappointed. I agree with you: seems better to keep Braixen. The other good one is Mightyena. That's all! Furfrou as wall/joker and Pansear to draw.

Very basic deck, with too much basic non sense Pokémon with low HP, attacking just 10, or an only attack of 20 needing two energies what it makes it slow. Lots of non sense flip coins, what means doing 0 damage most times and if heads doing 20, lack of support cards and flipping coins again, and oddly lack of energies having 24 of them.

A 4-4-2 Fennekin-Braixen-Delphox that is not enough and a Fase 2 Pokemon doing only 30 damage having 3 energies attached. Crazy.

Bad balanced. A thousand times worst than Basic red and than Froakie theme deck. Not good in my personal opinion :(

Yeah, I guess. I think it is worth just for getting those Braixens.

Btw, I got Froakie deck recently. I played a bit with it, feels ok. Greninja and Bisharp are the good pokemon in it. Also Farfetchd has a 30 attack for 1 colorless which is nice.

The Dark Hammer Theme Deck was awesome, it helped me get into pokemon tcg and taught me basic strateg. I haven't got the Resilient Life Deck, but I have played against it a few times and that was the only other good deck in my opinion, all the other decks were very underpowered. Even though Theme Decks as a whole are meant to be simple to ease in the newer players, I wish there was more decks like DH and RL.

I got Chespin deck today.

¿Power? More or less. But you have only 2 pokémon that worth a little bit in all the deck. Obviously the line Chespin-Quilladin-Chesnaught and Snubbull-Granbull.

And Miltank and Weedle to waste time.

Just if you get Chespin > Chesnaught soon it's quite powerful (more than Froakie's). If not, nothing to do. Even is more powerful I like more the Froakie deck because of the retreat costs, so high in the Chespin one.

All the Kalos SS have lack of trainer cards. i don't know what really wanted to do putting this on sale.

I recently bought Mystic Typhoon. Meowstic is ok. Dusclops has Confusion. Walrein is powerful. Deck also has a Muscle Band. There are also a couple of Miltanks. There is also an energy recursing Milotic.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not played a lot yet and the deck have some of the better "tricks" of the game but... a little bit disappointed with Resilient Life Deck.

Of course Xerneas+Aromatisse+Slurpuff+Fairy garden it's an unbeatable combo and Venipede>Scoplipede line is not bad at all. Even Mr. Mime is playable despite of great amount of energy needed.

But you only have two Xerneas and ONE of each other "great combo cards", being Whirlipede a below average card. Lots of unplayable Pokémon which make your hand full of unusable cards or full your bench for nothing, lack of energies even having 18 if you have to waste it before drawing a Xerneas, fast drawing which leads you to end without cards sometimes, low number of supporters and worst ones, pyramid evolutions... Common things in Theme decks but this highly loved deck still needs more cards choice and more to learn use it than others.

As general idea and to start a custom deck is absolutely the greatest, but as theme deck itself it's unbalanced and mores dizziness than others. Maybe I'm so critic because of the great expectations but I was waiting for something a little bit better.

Otherwise the most you play, the most you like. It's fully capable to save a battle even late, and the only that you need to win is a good initial hand (or tons of patience).

if I get tired of losing in theme deck play, I go back to dark hammer.

Pangoro is easy to develop and attack with and the deck doesn't really have any irrelevant pokemon like most other theme decks.

however, If you can get them moving, the new primal clash decks are powerful.

• 1 month later...

I recently got both Enchanted Echo and Bolt Twister theme decks.

I can say Enchanted Echo it's all about Sylveon. It's the best and the only Pokémon to make the deck playable. Of course the 4 Evee worth to have. Plan B it's Shelmet-Accelgor if you evolve in the right moment. Very difficult to set up the 3-2-1 Victreebel line which would be great if 4-2-4 or 3-3-3.

The only new trainer to me was Battle Reporter and it's not one of the best.

If not interested in Evee+Sylveon, doesn't worth the tokens.

On the other hand is Bolt Twister. I had my doubts but... works quite well. You get all the 4 copies of Night March's Joltik+ 2xGalvantula which it's quite powerful. Totodile-Feraligatr it's powerful too. And even the Fearow it's useful. Both with Trick coin are fearsome. As plan B there's Kingler with up to 100 damage but needs half of the deck's water energy. Sometimes it whorth sometimes not, but is powerful too.

Shauna+Sycamore+Tierno+UltraBall makes run the deck quite well. We could quit some of the Pokémon to add more of this same trainers and the deck would be a fun deck itself.

Surprising goes quite high in my personal Theme decks ranking!

Actually mine would be Mindbind the Sylveon/Noivern trainer kit theme deck.

Unfortunately unavailable with tokens (since I know). Did you bought it in real life and came with a code?

Unfortunately unavailable with tokens (since I know). Did you bought it in real life and came with a code?

Yes I've sort of collected the XY era decks. I didn't know your list was based on whether it could be bought by tokens.

I did the thread when I began to play (3 months ago) to know what Theme decks get and what were better than others and as a guide for all the people in the same case. For starters.

The idea were the available Theme decks from the shop (not Plasma anymore :( ) so I made that list and poll.

At the end I hope to catch'em all.

Anyway, nice to know about that XY Trainer Kit decks and that they work good. I had never realised were there and who knows, maybe some they are added, so thank you :)

• 2 months later...

Why is resiliant life second?

I just cannot win in trainer challenge on the easiest mode without getting xerneas, aromatisse and baby aromatisse or mr. mime in my starting hand. I have to concede about 30 times to get that. (against Ali and Mick)

What is the purpose of the jigglypuff/doduo and poison cards? I can't get anything to work well apart from the cards mentioned above unless I get a xerneas and 10 energies for rainbow spear.

Why is resiliant life second?

I just cannot win in trainer challenge on the easiest mode without getting xerneas, aromatisse and baby aromatisse or mr. mime in my starting hand. I have to concede about 30 times to get that. (against Ali and Mick)

What is the purpose of the jigglypuff/doduo and poison cards? I can't get anything to work well apart from the cards mentioned above unless I get a xerneas and 10 energies for rainbow spear.

First thing it is against the rules to post in a thread that has been inactive for more than or equal to 14 days. So never post in an inactive thread. And Resilient Life is a great Deck. Maybe you are having a problem playing with it. Maybe a problem in the execution of the deck from your side.. But its a great deck. :)

@Harshu, Whoops. I saw a link to this but didn't look at the last date.

Well its ok. But don't do that again... And if any mod can close this. because this thread has been inactive for more then 14 days, to avoid bumping..

I know Mods are clever and won't do what they don't have to do. Only PO can ask for closing of a thread and I didn't asked for that.

This is an interesting thread, that can be updated with new decks; and not only will do but I was expecting the moment to do it (because I've been out of the city for some days and still have some work to do). 14 days or 3 months. If there's interesting info or update post it's not bumping. If it's not the last person who post it's not bumping, if it's not more of the same message it's not bumping. Bumping is want to be on the top without nothing new in the thread.

I feel you Trainer-Kres didn't make nothing wrong and you deserve an answer if someone want to give it. I have no time right now but here's a fast one: NO. Resilient Life it's not the second best Theme. Has some good things but it's not one of the best. It's hyped because of the moment was released did a revolution on fairy decks. I will explain more when I have time and also will attach the new Roaring Skies Theme decks to the poll and some explanations :)

Archived