Deck building challenge

NattyB

Not gonna lie, I totally forgot I had a challenge waiting for me.

Ok, so Beedrill. It's one of my favourite pokemon from 1st gen. It also has everything you need to fuel a fair amount of nightmares. Giant-sized? Check! Stingers for hands? Check! Severe anger issues? Super Check! It's everyone's favourite giant hornet/bee/wasp/thing, and it's got a really interesting attack.

Allergic Shock requires a single grass energy and has the effect of "If the defending pokemon is damaged by an attack during your next turn, it's knocked out."....... That's pretty beast. They balanced this out by making its second attack require coin flips, so there's a chance that you may have just wasted 2 turns for nothing. BUT WAIT! Beedrill has no retreat cost, and the only restriction is that the opponent's pokemon takes damage. It doesn't even have to be from Beedrill to get the effect. An easy switch out can guarantee an easy kill. This means even if my Beedrill gets KO'd, I can still get a free kill with my next guy. With that sorted out, let's get to the list

4x Weedle (Primal Clash)

3x Beedrill (Primal Clash)

3x Treeko (Primal Clash)

3x Sceptile (Primal Clash, non-omega)

1x Shaymin-EX

1x Trevenant-EX

4x Acro Bike

4x Rare Candy

3x Professor's Letter

3x Professsor Birch's Research

2x Professor Sycamore

2x Skyla

2x Roller Skates

2x Ultra Ball

2x Mountain Ring

1x Teammates

1x Lysandre

1x Lysandre's Trump Card

1x Pokemon Fan Club

1x Random Receiver

1x Town Map

4x Herbal Energy

11x Grass Energy

In hindsight, Sceptile is both really good and really bad for this particular deck. Being able to play an extra energy every turn AND heal 30 damage is great and all, but when Beedrill only needs 1 energy to use Allergic Shock, it's a little wasted. On the other hand, Sceptile is easily becoming BFF's with Trevenant, or pretty much any pokemon that needs more than one energy, asap.

The biggest downfall for this deck is the meta. With a lot of decks using fairy or dark types, your opponents can switch out for free, with the help of Fairy Garden, and Darkrai-EX, respectively. In those cases, I had to rely on straight damage with either Sceptile or Trevenant-EX. The matches I won with the deck were pretty much only when I abandoned the Beedrill strategy and gave Trevenant a literal forest to beat things with.

Final Verdict 7/10

Pros-

Low cost to build, as Beedrill and Sceptile aren't highly valued at the moment

Sceptile makes for a solid backbone to any grass deck

Multiple shuffle and draw options allow for strong starts more often than not

Making Allergic Shock work is more satisfying than it shoud be allowed to be

Cons-

Low cost/ free switch-outs make Beedrill's gimmick useless

Both Trevenant-EX and Sceptile require at least 3 energy to be treatening

I'm probably going to turn this into a proper deck, though maybe without Beedrill

I'm also eagerly awaiting any new challenge ideas that you may have!

1 - Make a deck around Drowzee (Furious Fists)

2 - You cannot run Hypno.

3 - You must run at least one evolution line. Those evolution lines can be secondary attackers, support Pokemon, etc. but Drowzee must be the pokemon you spend most of the time attacking with.

I have a deck that fulfills these conditions, and works fairly well. Curious to see whether you can figure out the trick.

Note: I don't mind you surrendering, since this challenge can be a toughie.

Note #2: This deck might be spoiled/revealed within 2-3 days.

1 - Make a deck around Drowzee (Furious Fists)

2 - You cannot run Hypno.

3 - You must run at least one evolution line. Those evolution lines can be secondary attackers, support Pokemon, etc. but Drowzee must be the pokemon you spend most of the time attacking with.

I have a deck that fulfills these conditions, and works fairly well. Curious to see whether you can figure out the trick.

Note: I don't mind you surrendering, since this challenge can be a toughie.

Note #2: This deck might be spoiled/revealed within 2-3 days.

This is going to bother me for a good while. I remember seeing something about this about 2-3 months ago, but I can't remember what it is. Either way, I'm not gonna look up a deck list for it. I'll figure it out, or die trying

If I had to guess, I'd say PC Tentacruel w/ dragalge as support for the drowzee.

the opponent is taking poison damage, can't retreat, and will hit themselves in confusion every time thanks to drowzee.

Archived