Jump to content

Deck building challenge


NattyB
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since boredom kicked in, I figured I'd do a thing. Here's the plan. The next person to post here suggests a deck idea. It doesn't have to be a top deck, or even a good deck. Examples could be decks based on type, or based on a specific pokemon, or a specific move, or an item, or whatever you can think of. Maximum on 3 guidelines, else it would get too

 

So first response suggests a deck for me to build. the person after suggests a deck for that person to build, and so on. You'll have 1 week to build and test the deck and post your results back here with quote of what your challenge is. Anyone currently working on a deck cannot make a suggestion until their challenge is completed.

 

The only restriction is that it has to be standard-legal. Let's have fun, and get building!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NattyB, on 14 Jan 2015 - 01:45 AM, said:

NattyB, on 14 Jan 2015 - 01:45 AM, said:

 

Since boredom kicked in, I figured I'd do a thing. Here's the plan. The next person to post here suggests a deck idea. It doesn't have to be a top deck, or even a good deck. Examples could be decks based on type, or based on a specific pokemon, or a specific move, or an item, or whatever you can think of. Maximum on 3 guidelines, else it would get too

 

So first response suggests a deck for me to build. the person after suggests a deck for that person to build, and so on. You'll have 1 week to build and test the deck and post your results back here with quote of what your challenge is. Anyone currently working on a deck cannot make a suggestion until their challenge is completed.

 

The only restriction is that it has to be standard-legal. Let's have fun, and get building!

 

here is a deck suggestion for you.....i recently made a fairy & grass type based around shaymin-ex & florges-ex

 

both shaymin-ex & florges-ex are easy to trade for & its really all you need....

 

here is how i play it.....

 

florges-ex has a power called lead...which is very useful ...pull out a bunch of your best support card & beat up your opponent....any support card you wan can be in this deck....the only support card you MUST have is 1 or 2 pokemon fan club cards so you can lay down a bunch of grass & fairy pokemon to power up your florges-ex, florges-ex can do 20 dmg times the number of grass and fairy pokemon in play so maximum she can do 120 dmg which is good at such a cheap cost of 2 energy & can help you win the battle quick if you pull her out early in game before your opponent powers up a beast like gengar-ex or evolves his or her pokemon....so try to also use support cards like terrino that draws 3 cards or professor juniper to help you get 7 new cards cause if you have florges-ex early she is real good....just remember to have a pokemon fan club in hand too....if everything else fails make sure to have shaymin-ex on bench & ready for play...which pokemon fan club can help you get & if you dont have pokemon fan club, florges can help you get the card right away....if you are about to die...use shaymin-ex which means if your oppnent only have 1 prize card left....shaymin can do maximum of 180 dmg which helps you get even with opponent & beat him or her back up.....thats all....if you have florges-ex early, you can win easy before your oppenent powers up his or her pokemon or evolves them.....if you are failing, you will have a good back-up plan called shaymin-ex, real good deck that i like to suggest only things you need are shaymin-ex, florges-ex, a bunch of other fairy or grass pokemon, some pokemon fan club cards & some other support cards to help you pull them out like draw 3 cards or get 7 new cards & some items is always good like power band & stuff....what i like most is that they not only have cheap costing powers but their retreat cost is cheap too...

 

 

Edited by uic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

uic, on 14 Jan 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

 

here is a deck suggestion for you.....i recently made a fairy & grass type based around shaymin-ex & florges-ex

 

both shaymin-ex & florges-ex are easy to trade for & its really all you need....

 

here is how i play it.....

 

florges-ex has a power called lead...which is very useful ...pull out a bunch of your best support card & beat up your opponent....any support card you wan can be in this deck....the only support card you MUST have is 1 or 2 pokemon fan club cards so you can lay down a bunch of grass & fairy pokemon to power up your florges-ex, florges-ex can do 20 dmg times the number of grass and fairy pokemon in play so maximum she can do 120 dmg which is good at such a cheap cost of 2 energy & can help you win the battle quick if you pull her out early in game before your opponent powers up a beast like gengar-ex or evolves his or her pokemon....so try to also use support cards like terrino that draws 3 cards or professor juniper to help you get 7 new cards cause if you have florges-ex early she is real good....just remember to have a pokemon fan club in hand too....if everything else fails make sure to have shaymin-ex on bench & ready for play...which pokemon fan club can help you get & if you dont have pokemon fan club, florges can help you get the card right away....if you are about to die...use shaymin-ex which means if your oppnent only have 1 prize card left....shaymin can do maximum of 180 dmg which helps you get even with opponent & beat him or her back up.....thats all....if you have florges-ex early, you can win easy before your oppenent powers up his or her pokemon or evolves them.....if you are failing, you will have a good back-up plan called shaymin-ex, real good deck that i like to suggest only things you need are shaymin-ex, florges-ex, a bunch of other fairy or grass pokemon, some pokemon fan club cards & some other support cards to help you pull them out like draw 3 cards or get 7 new cards & some items is always good like power band & stuff....what i like most is that they not only have cheap costing powers but their retreat cost is cheap too...

 

 

Not for nothing, *****hat's a lot more detail than I was expecting. All the same, I'll get to work on it. The next person to post will have a deck idea for you
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted a thread about mine:

 

1 - Build a deck around Furfrou.

2 - Each Furfrou should have a different trim (if possible).

3 - No other Pokemon cards allowed in the deck.

 

This limits you to 4 Pokemon total, and Arceus help you if you wind up with three of them buried under your Prize Cards.  On the plus side, it leaves a lot more room for Trainer Cards to support you, making the deck highly unpredictable, and with the right trainer cards in hand the pooches can become incredibly difficult to actually take down.

Edited by Stratadrake
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted a thread about mine:

 

1 - Build a deck around Furfrou.

2 - Each Furfrou must have a different trim.

3 - No other Pokemon cards allowed in the deck.

 

This limits you to 4 Pokemon total, and Arceus help you if you wind up with three buried in Prize Cards.  On the plus side, it leaves a lot more room for Trainer Cards to support you.

Where do you get the Heart trim? I only have the other 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where do you get the Heart trim? I only have the other 3

I think the heart trim Furfrou card is from one of the X&Y Kalos Starter Sets, and the Noivern & Sylveon Trainer Kit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...Yeah, that is correct, Heart Trim isn't part of a regular expansion yet.  Okay then you can ignore rule #2 for now.

Edited by Stratadrake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good news! I got the Heart-trim Furfrou, so I'ma make that deck and see how it goes..... Hopefully not poorly.

 

Here's the result of the first deck I was to build, Fairy/Grass

 

3x Glorges-EX

2x Shaymin-EX

4x Eevee (Furious Fists)

2x Plasma Leafeon (Plasma Freeze)

2x Sylveon (Furious Fists)

3x Swirlix (Phantom Forces)

2x Slurpuff (Phantom Forces)

1x Tailow (Boundaries Crossed)

1x Swellow (XY)

 

2x Crushing Hammer

1x Energy Retrieval

1x Evosoda

1x Great Ball

1x Professor's Letter

1x Random Receiver

1x AZ

2x Colress

2x Lysandre

1x Lysandre's Trump Card

2x Pokemon Fan Club

1x Professor Sycamore

1x Skyla

1x Tierno

1x Xerosic

1x Fairy Garden

1x Training Center

1x Muscle Band

2x Rocky Helmet

 

4x Double Colourless Energy

7x Fairy Energy

3x Grass Energy

1x Herbal Energy

 

Fairly simple toolbox~ish concept.

Plan A) Fill your bench with fairies and grass types to punch face with Floreges-EX.

Plan B) Eevee spam with both evolution options

Plan C) Make a comeback with Shaymin-EX

 

To be honest, I like the deck. It's more fun than either mono deck i currently have, and it's not too energy heavy, so you can get most of your attackers set up in maximum 2 turns. Try it as you like

 

Next up, Puppy power with Furfrou!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NattyB, on 17 Jan 2015 - 12:24 AM, said:

 

What's my answer to Pyroar? o.o;;

I don`t know what your answer is :P

 

But seriously, that's part of the challenge. The deck has some clear weaknesses, I know, (but I personally haven't run up against them yet).

 

Here's another challenge:  Eeveelutions deck.  Its rule is:

- Your only Pokemon allowed are Eevee and its evolutions.

- Try to have all eight Eeveelutions

 

As with the Furfrou deck this limits you to four Basics (you're probably going to need some revives), but at least this one doesn't get walled by Pyroars.

Edited by Stratadrake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, so I was challenged with building a Furfrou Deck. Man..... Not easy.

 

Let me start by saying most of my matches started with my opponent getting a 2-5 card advantage, because of how difficult it is to draw a Furfrou in my opening hand. Most Ex's and stage 2's blow the deck out of the water, as well as damage to bench and Lysandre. That said, the deck was hilarious when it actually worked as intended.

 

After a while, I realized that Sharp Fang was a completely useless attack, and I'd rather chance the paralysis from Tight Jaw, so the deck became a bit more efficient as far as energy went.

 

4x Furfrou

 

4x Robo-Substitute

4x Laser

4x Super Scoop Up

4x Roller Skates

3x Team Flare Grunt

3x Professor Sycamore

2x Virbank City Gym

2x Hard Charm

2x Enhanced Hammer

2x Crushing Hammer

2x Ultra Ball

2x Professor's Letter

1x Town map

1x Startling Megaphone

1x Potion

1x Full Heal

1x Vs Seeker

1x Xerosic

1x Lysandre's Trump Card

1x Tierno

1x Pokemon Center Lady

1x Rock Guard

4x Double Colourless Energy

6x Grass Energy

 

So, I clearly have little idea what I should be doing with this deck. I'm playing it like I would a Crobat deck, which sums up to "********* let my opponent get energy and pray for the best". I think I'll add some Battle Compressors to the deck just to get to Furfrou and DCE faster.

 

Figure I'd start rating the decks I end up making, because I can.

Rating - 6/10.

-2 for being almost unplayable due to the number of pokemon

-2 for an outstanding number of weaknesses

-2 for "opponent draws worse than me" being #1 win condition

+1 for obvious humiliation of losing to poodle swarms

+1 for Furfrou swag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This looks like a very interesting thread idea... will be interesting to see some of the creative and innovative ideas people can come up with here. Should be quite a challenge :P..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi NattyB,

 

What a fun thread! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Should be interesting.  :P

 

 

This looks like a very interesting thread idea... will be interesting to see some of the creative and innovative ideas people can come up with here. Should be quite a challenge :P..

 

Feel free to throw some ideas in if you like

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, so I'm finally done playing a deck that was worse than 4x Furfrou.

 

4x Azelf

4x Mesprit

4x Uxie

 

4x Laser

4x Roller Skates

4x Professor Sycamore

3x Virbank City Gym

3x Team Flare Grunt

3x Vs Seeker

3x Battle Compressor

3x Ultra Ball

2x Bicycle

2x Lysandre

1x Professor's Letter

1x Town Map

1x Lysandre's Trump Card

1x Hard Charm

1x Rock Guard

1x Head Ringer

 

3x Double Colourless Energy

3x Mystery Energy

5x Psychic Energy

 

So you have Uxie, who is actually pretty decent. Able to drop 3 damage counters on a pokemon for 1 energy.

 

Mesprit, who has an ability that removes all weaknesses from your pokemon if you have Azelf and Uxie in play with it, as well as a really bad attack that does 30 damage, but requires 3 energy to use.

 

Azelf..... If I had to describe it in one word, it would still get me banned from the forums. With one attack that switches it out, and another attack that... moves around my opponent's special energy.... it was literally drooling in a corner, trying to get a cylinder in a round hole and failing.

 

Win condition: Opponent draws (maximum) 1 pokemon, with 60hp or less, and I draw all ******ie, a psychic energy, a laser, and a virbank gym......

 

In addition to building this atrocity, I was given the incentive of a reward in the form of a pack if I managed to get 10 wins in 20 matches. I somehow got to 5 wins in 16 matches, which is far more than I expected.

 

Final Rating: 3/10, and only because *******.

 

Next up: No deck requests pending. I'll opst something whan I receive a suggestion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm working on an expanded deck since Regionals are about a month away, and I'm considering running Dragons Exalted Ampharos, Noble Victories Eelectrik, and Phantom Forces Goodra, and I'd love to see what you can come up with for this deck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VibraKnife, on 23 Jan 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

 

I'm working on an expanded deck since Regionals are about a month away, and I'm considering running Dragons Exalted Ampharos, Noble Victories Eelectrik, and Phantom Forces Goodra, and I'd love to see what you can come up with for this deck.

I do not really have the resources or the interest to build expanded. I'm only working on standard decks, sorry.

Edited by NattyB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sharkjerky, on 23 Jan 2015 - 02:48 AM, said:

 

How about building a deck using Magnezone--Dual Brains; and all your trainers have be Supporters.

Ok, so this deck turned out to be pretty interesting. All of my matches started out as a boring thunder/normal deck that did very little, then I get Magnezone into play and SO MANY THINGS! WHY ARE YOU DOING SO MANY THINGS! WHY DOES THAT MILTANK HIT SO HARD? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! Heh, good times.

 

Pokemon

3x Milktank (Flashfire)

1x Dunsparse (Boundaries Crossed)

2x Eevee (Furious Fists)

 

2x Jolteon (Plansma Freeze)

2x Dedene (Furious Fists)

3x Magnemite (Plasma Storm)

2x Magneton (Plasma Storm)

2x Magnezone (Plasma Storm)

1x Manectric-EX (Phantom Forces)

1x M Manectric-EX (Phantom Forces)

 

Trainers

4x Cheren

4x Tierno

3x N

2x Team Flare Grunts

2x Professor Sycamore

2x Pokemon Center Lady

2x Pokemon Fan Club

2x Lysandre

1x Lysandre's Trump Card

1x Xerosic

 

Energy

2x DCE

14x Thunder Energy

 

This deck had 2 difficulties; Getting Magnezone out, and getting energy out. The lack of cards like Evosoda, Rare Candy, and Great/Ultra Balls made me have to rely on drawing or shuffling to get what I needed. I also really wished I had a Manectric Spirit Link in the deck so I wouldn't have to drop a turn on the mega evolution. I added the Mega into the deck because I knew I'd both be pitching energy to Sycamore and losing a lot of pokemon before the deck got rolling. Most games that I won, my opponent had 3 or even 2 prizes left, so I was hard-pressed to spring into action.

 

After all of that is said and done, Magnezone is all kinds of fun. It pretty much turns into a Donphan deck, but isn't a one-trick-pony, in that almost all of the other pokemon are capable of holding their own for a turn or two. (can you tell I ********* like him?) Magnezone has good damage, as well as evasion. Jolteon is good for pestering EX pokemon, and Manectric-EX/Miltank are both good for taking out basics while using a small amount of energy.

 

9/10 Will turn into normal standard deck.

-2 for slow buildup/frustration

+1 for most of my opponents entering Scoop Phase when Magnezone hits the table and shenanigans happen

 

Thanks to Sharkjerky for the suggestion. On an unrelated note, random censorship is random

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for trying my suggestion! Can see where not having Rare Candy and Vs Seeker makes this an interesting build. A good start for someone to include items and tools to make a very formidable deck.

 

C'mon folks, more ideas for Natty! :D

Edited by sharkjerky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a really interesting deck idea, but I keep posting up new topics, and I think I want to see your take on this deck.

If you're up for trying to build a deck with Primal Clash pokemon that is, if not I understand~

 

If you are up for it though, the Primal Clash Beedrill has an interesting attack in Allergic Shock I think you could build a deck around :P What do you say?

Edited by TheRyanNeighbor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

 

I had a really interesting deck idea, but I keep posting up new topics, and I think I want to see your take on this deck.

 

If you're up for trying to build a deck with Primal Clash pokemon that is, if not I understand~

 

 

 

If you are up for it though, the Primal Clash Beedrill has an interesting attack in Allergic Shock I think you could build a deck around :P What do you say?

 

 

I have no problem building a deck with the new set, when I'm able to get my hands on it. Until then, it'll have to wait

Edited by NattyB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...