Which Pokémon Have the -20 Damage Ability?

MaSkullzOnFire

I'm trying to create an experimental deck based on that particular theme but the only Pokémon that I can remember with that ability is Bouffalant. I'm sure there are a few others though.

• Upvote 1

I know that Aurorus reduces 20 for all of your water Pokémon that have a water energy on them.

Otherwise, all I can think of is Fur Coat Furfrou

• Upvote 1

Plasma Freeze Quagsire and XY Furfrou also have abilties that reduce their damage by 20.

Furious Fists Klefki has a similar ability, but it only works on attacks that Fairy types already resist (e.g. Dark).

• Upvote 1

I could make a search with "reduced by 20" here (put that in "card text") : http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/?4-xy=on. It brought 8 pages of results without restricting with types.

edit: For standard format add Laid-Back Quagsire to your list. I think it was from PHF.

For expanded there is Bouffalant added only to the list.

There are a couple of cards worth mentioning from Unlimited but I think they would be hard to get maybe:

donphan exoskeletpn
phanpy ultra-thick skin

There are more pokemon like this but they are not available in PTCGO. Probably too old.

Edited by Calipos

From what I can tell, there are a heavy amount of Water Pokémon in standard that have the damage reducing ability, so I would suggest perhaps using Quagsire and Samurott (I would also put in a couple fighting energy for Quagsire, if you want), and running some Aurorus so that you can reduce an additional 20 on each Water Pokémon with a Water Energy for every Aurorus you have out.

This would put a damper on running other types, of course, but I believe Furfrou is the only other Pokémon in standard with an ability that reduces damage.

Edited by VibraKnife

It's not ability, but Regigigas from PhF seems like great fit into the theme with its Daunt attack. Reduces damage by 40 and does whopping 80 damage for 3 colorless energy, plus it's basic with 130 HP. Not sure how this attack got approved since it looks like one of the best attacks among all big basic pokemon. Put some AZs, scoop up thingies, Pokemon center ladies and hard charms along with them and your opponents will have headaches. Not just that, but Mew can also benefit from that even more with dimensional valley. Slap a DC on and you've got yourself a 160HP Mew that does 80 or 100 (with muscle band) for 2 energy. Muscle band or hard charm - choice depends on situation.

100 for 2 colorless energy isn't bad even for EX.

I have created a deck with 2 Amaura lines. Unfortunately I didn't know I need fossil cards to put Amaura on bench which I think sucks btw. I put 2 Fossil Researchers and a Skyla for now to play them. If I put Sail Fossils in the deck then I also need cards to put them on the bottom of the deck which is not practical when you can put in so many other trainer cards in the deck. I do not have LT Samurott or Laid-Back Quagsire so I just put Samurott from basic water and Vanilluxe with Blizzard in the deck with some other basic water pokemon such as energy reclaiming Lapras and water Kyurem to add some consistency.

I have one Fur-Coat Furfrou although it can work well with its own -20 plus Hard Stone I didn't put it in since I have only one and it doesn't get -20 from Aurorus. I put 4 Hard Stones in the deck. 8 Water plus 4 DCE and filled the rest with trainer cards for draw, support etc. I couldn't test it a lot yet but it seems promising.

I do not think this pokemon is in standard but the sigilyph from the old tool drop decks the one that allows you to put four tool cards on it, if you want to go for that route, 4 hard charms and a jamming net on the opponent, they will have to do over 100 damage just to touch it.

Edited by zeemar

I do not think this pokemon is in standard but the sigilyph from the old tool drop decks the one that allows you to put four tool cards on it, if you want to go for that route, 4 hard charms and a jamming net on the opponent, they will have to do over 100 damage just to touch it.

Before the FlashFire set I would have agreed with you on that; however it is quite the gamble these days to use that method because you never know if your opponent could be playing Startling Megaphone. Just one of those makes Sigilyph with the Toolbox ability useless.

I have created a deck with 2 Amaura lines. Unfortunately I didn't know I need fossil cards to put Amaura on bench which I think sucks btw. I put 2 Fossil Researchers and a Skyla for now to play them. If I put Sail Fossils in the deck then I also need cards to put them on the bottom of the deck which is not practical when you can put in so many other trainer cards in the deck.

Caitlin lets you put cards on the bottom of your deck + draw.  Can work well for getting those Restored Pokemon into play quickly.

I wouldn't bother running Sail Fossil if you want to run Aurorus. Amaura does not have the ability that lets you put it on the bottom of your deck when in the discard, so it's much too chancey. Run 4 Fossil Researchers, 3-4 Skyla, and Computer Search. You need to Fossil Research by turn 2.

Another 'reduce damage' attack on a Pokemon is on Liepard PHF. For a single Dark energy it reduces damage by a whopping 60 before weakness is applied. The downside is Liepard is frail and the attack only does 10 damage. Although it makes a Mewtwo EX with a DCE deal nothing to Mew EX.

Edited by xOnionx

I got 2 more Skylas. I'll put 3 Skyla, 2 Fossil Researcher and pretend those five cards are Amaura's fossil which needs to be restored. If I were to run Caitlin and Sail Fossil, first I'd need to draw both Amaura and Caitlin first and then after using Caitlin to put Amaura on the bottom, I'd also need to draw Sail Fossil. I need to draw 3 specific cards with that method. That's why I said Sail Fossil is bad earlier (same with any other fossil items).

Instead of that I'll draw Fossil Researcher and put Amaura instantly on the bench or draw Skyla which will be used to search for Fossil Researcher making an extra step. Maybe I should get 2 more Fossil Researcher and put 2-3 Skyla like Onion suggested as Fossil Researcher is the better card for it. As for Computer Search I do not have it.

I have that Liepard. I think only one again but I believe making a monotype deck is the way to go as Aurorus' ability works on your water pokemon with water energy and they are a lot easier to play and create unless you have some rainbow/blend energies. Not sure if they are standard legal anyway.

Edited by Calipos

4 Fossil Researcher is a must. I was talking about Liepard seperatly, with Aurorus you want all water types, namely Kyurem and Suicune. You can also run a battle compressor or 2 to get rid of Researchers so you won't draw into them later and/or use it early to VS. Seeker for the researcher.

An another note, I have an extended deck that that is primarily Bouffalant/Jynx with Hard Charms and Jamming Nets. I just name it after the Japanese name for the ability, Afro Guard. It does alright, auto-loss to Pyroar though.

Edited by xOnionx
  • Upvote 1

OMG I cannot believe the fun I had with this :D So I got 2 more Researchers making a total of 4 Fossil Researchers. Added 2 Skyla. I also got a couple of Woopas and Laid-Back Quagsires. I was able to get 2 Aurorus in the bench in a few games. To my surprise its ability stacks! Making a whooping -40 for every enemy attack. Add a Hard Stone and Quagsire and the damage reduction goes upto -80. This deck even goes head to head with some EX decks and destroys some of them. So far I lost to a Manectric EX / Mega Metagross EX deck. Of course it is not the only deck I lost to. It is just that that defeat was a notable one due to opponent getting his/her mega early doing tremendous amounts of damage with it.

Skyla is a very useful card. I haven't used that card before. It got me Fossil Researcher once and other useful trainers a couple of times.

I have one non-EX Kyurem in my deck which is a great card I think with its Outrage and Glaciate. The one that is damaging all the opponent bench pokemon. I also put 2 lines of Vanilluxe in my decks who have Blizzard but does less damage to bench pokemon. Regardless it is a great effect to have. Suicune is a great idea. I currently do not have it. I definitely will look into it when / if I get it though.

I found that I can discard useless Fossil Researchers later in the game with Ultra Ball. I only need 1 Fossil Researcher because I run 2 lines of Aurorus. 1 of them puts both Amauras on the bench unless they got into prize cards which happened once. One of them got into prizes but one Aurorus was still enough to win a game against a deck with Mew EX, Chandelure EX and Shaymin EX.

I have 1 VS Seeker and 1 Pokemon Center Lady in the deck. More often than not I use VS Seeker on Lady. It worked great so far.

QuoteAn another note, I have an extended deck that that is primarily Bouffalant/Jynx with Hard Charms and Jamming Nets. I just name it after the Japanese name for the ability, Afro Guard. It does alright, auto-loss to Pyroar though.

I named my deck Tough Aurorus. Afro Guard sounds like a fun name :) Must be due to Bouffalant's Afro I think :D I do not play competitively, so I do not care too much if my deck loses to meta decks.

Btw, thanks for the idea MaSkullzOnFire. Have you built a deck yourself?

Edited by Calipos
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, damage reduction's ability to stack can really turn a match if your opponent can't power through it, doesn't have secondary effects to work around it, or doesn't have something that can simply ignore it outright.  My Furfrou deck has won a lot of matches for this reason alone (Hard Charm + Fur Coat = 40 damage reduction).

Edited by Stratadrake

Btw, thanks for the idea MaSkullzOnFire. Have you built a deck yourself?

Alas no I'm afraid I haven't. I still need to get a few cards I think but I'm not too sure. I'll see if I can create one over the weekend and I'll let you know how it goes. I assume you included Jamming Net as well for the EX Cards?

No, I don2t have Jamming Nets unfortunately but I don2t t think I would be able to easily add them in since the deck is already packed full off trainers and it feels good so far. But it would still be possible replacing some cards without reducing consistency much. Btw, I got 2 Shell Armor Samurotts and made a new deck replacing Vanilluxe lines in the deck with them. I left the previous deck as it is as I like the Vanilluxe too since they can still get -60 from 2 Aurorus and 1 Hard Charm and they also synergize with Kyurem.

I think a few water EX pokemon might be good for the deck such as Keldeo EX and Blastoise EX (better if with its Mega since it can also damage opponent bench). Currently I don2t have them but they can be good replacements for some of the basic non-evolving pokemon I have in the deck.

I will post my deck list in my deck thread later but don2t expect an excellent deck as I'm kind of a new player :)

edit: I found a way to write don2t without getting censored :P

Edited by Calipos

Regigigas is good, and I have made decks that focus heavily on him, but his biggest downside is that the -40 only applies to the Pokemon you dealt the damage to. When you knock a Pokemon out with this, the next one up will often be prepared to do enough damage to make the whole damage reduction strategy ineffective. This is why I think Regi is more of a 1-of, and if possible try to get the KO with a different Pokemon.

Right, I have written down a deck list:

Pokémon:

3x Amaura.

3x Aurorus.

2x Wooper.

2x Quagsire (w/ ability).

2x Greninja-EX.

2x Bouffalant (w/ ability).

2x Furfrou (w/ ability).

Trainers:

4x Fossil Researcher.

2x Skyla.

4x Evosoda.

2x Level Ball.

4x Hard Charm.

3x Vs. Seeker.

2x Interviewer's Questions.

2x Professor's Letter.

2x Jamming Net.

Energy:

4x Rainbow.

10x Water.

5x Fighting.

Is there anything that could be changed? I haven't actually created the deck yet. I just thought of this list whilst I was at work.