Sign in to follow this  
AshleyBricco

Dark Hammer - Pancham's Bad Influence Evolution

AshleyBricco

That is perfectly reasonable. But I would expect that if it's the case that it does change the rule, that it would specify as much. Otherwise, how are you to know?

Park_JS

That would be great for new players that they have these information on their screens while they play, but isn't it too handy? I mean, they will not exert effort on finding how to learn these and those unlike the players before. I am not saying they should also do all of those research and stuffs, but somehow make some effort on learning to play. It is like a challenge by Pokemon Company International esp. to those who want to take the exams to be a professor.

To know these information? I've been playing Pokemon since I was 4, and I am engaged to books relating to it.

AshleyBricco

I think the rules should be exactly explicit, everything should be written out.

What needs to be learned is strategy - deck building strategy and how to play your cards in the smartest possible way. That's what needs to be learned. The semantics.

What doesn't need to be learned is the syntax, the mechanics. The rules. That should just be given in a book and memorized.

In either case, you don't make a good case. If you have to play Pokemon since you're 4 and read literature about it in order to know about this rule here, what is that saying?

If that's required to understand the very syntax of the game - the rules - then I am not sure what Nintendo was thinking. I feel most people in life don't have that kind of time to put into a card game. Can you get a career playing this?

I feel like either Eevee and Pancham should both be able to evolve on turn 1 or neither should be able to. I'm betting on #1 being the case - both should be able to, as I see no distinction between special ability and attack in this regard. What I do see is that it's not directly evolution, as it normally happens. Rather, it's forcing evolution through a move - that may allow bypassing of the rule. I'm not sure. But if it does, then I don't see why it doesn't apply to Pancham.

But you've said your story on it, I'd love to hear from the moderators so I can get official information about this.

Park_JS

As the moderators see this, they might think of doing your suggestion of writing all rules in the rulebook. However, that will took a lot of time before presented to public since you want it to be explicit.

It is not necessary to took a lot of time to learn that. What books I read before was regarding the video game, anime, and Pokemon in general. It's only been a month since I learnt to play TCG. I got into it real quick since I did have some sort of related knowledge from the Pokemon in general.

Yes, you can. There are a lot of players who are giving a lot of time to this. They are now playing in the Nationals and World Championships. There are some who became professors and organizers. It's their career, their passion (but it's not necessarily earning money).

Maybe that's the way PCI differs a Pokemon to another - having different abilities, effects, attacks, and usages. So for an Eevee to be unique from a Pancham, and vice versa, that's the way.

Stratadrake

Wow posting party....

There's one major tenet to pretty much any TCG: The wording on the card is always right. If a card instructs you to do something that seems to contradict normal rules of the game (like taking a card out of your discard pile, or evolving a Pokemon on its first turn of play), you ignore the usual rules and do what the card tells you.

Which means that in Pancham's case, if you have a Dark-type on your Bench, you can search your deck for a Pangoro and evolve Pancham to Pangoro, even if it's Pancham's first turn of play. The only problem is that, currently, it doesn't work during Pancham's first turn of play, and this is confirmed to be a bug -- it should work Pancham's first turn of play (remember how many times you've seen Trainer Challenge opponents evolve that little Zorua on its first turn in play? Yep, like that), but currently it does not.

Well, if it has been reported, then it should have been put in the list of known bugs. I can't be expected to read every page of topics on this forum...

No, but that's precisely why there is a button labelled "Search Forums" along the top bar ... just type something like "bad influence evolution" and you should be able to spot the old topics easily.

AshleyBricco

Regardless of any search bar at the top, I don't think you can say that a known bug should NOT be in the list of known bugs...

You probably should have said: "Yes, but there's also a search bar at the top..." or something along those lines. In which case, yes, I should probably have used it. I'm used to avoiding forum search bars because I'm used to people failing to name topics in a helpful way and so I end up wasting my time. Furthermore, I also assumed that the known bugs would be in the known bugs list... not unreasonable, is it?

"Guys, guys, your whole little argument misses a major point of TCG rules: You're not allowed to evolve a Pokemon on its first turn of play unless instructed to do so by a card"

That's exactly what I was saying...

Stratadrake
I'm used to avoiding forum search bars because I'm used to people failing to name topics in a helpful way and so I end up wasting my time.

Fair, not every site has a competent search feature, but this site uses vBulletin-based forums and vB's search feature is pretty good. One of the nicest features is getting it to show search results as actual post excerpts instead of just a list of topics.

Furthermore, I also assumed that the known bugs would be in the known bugs list... not unreasonable, is it?

Not entirely, but since this site doesn't show a dedicated bugtracker to automatically track and categorize these things, it's up to a moderator to manually update the 'known bugs' thread, and as you can see on their latest post, that hasn't happened in almost two months (in fact about the same time frame this particular bug was noticed and analyzed).

Mod_Poplar

Hello trainers!

Apologies for the delay in explanation! As Stratadrake has so deftly explained, this is a bug. Pancham should be able to evolve on its first turn in play via the Bad-Influence Evolution attack. The fact that Pancham currently cannot evolve on its first turn is not intended, and the Dev team is working to fix this.

As stated, card text trumps certain rules. As an example of how a card with a similar effect would look if it were not able to evolve a Basic Pokémon on its first turn in play, I encourage you to take a look at Rare Candy which states: Choose 1 of your Basic Pokémon in play. If you have a Stage 2 card in your hand that evolves from that Pokémon, put that card on the Basic Pokémon. (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.) You can't use this card during your first turn or on a Basic Pokémon that was put into play this turn.

If Pancham or Eevee were unable to use their attack/Ability on their first turn in play, their attack/Ability would have text similar to this after "(This counts as evolving that Pokémon.)".

I hope this was helpful, and as this is a known bug, I'll be closing this thread. Please feel free to create a new thread or submit a ticket via the link in my signature if you come across any other bugs, and thanks for your patience regarding this and the Known Bugs thread! :)