Can't connect to TCGO

dgamergirl64

As it said, I tried to connect to Pokemon TCGO as usual, only it failed to connect me to the server and I often got this message a couple of times now:

"We tried to talk to the server but didn't get a response. You can wait for the server to respond, or disconnect immediately."

I know it's just my internet connection's the problem, but like I said, I've got this message several times now. Help would be nice right now. Thanks in advance, though.

I know, but this happened before the maintenance. I should have said this yesterday, but it really happened many times before the maintenance.

Hi there,

Here are some things for you to try, hope it helps!

Connection & Server Related Error Messages

1. Check Your Firewall

-Ensure that your Firewall (this includes Windows Firewall which is included with Windows) has exceptions for TCGO. This includes:

Pokemon Trading Card Game Online.exe

Refresher.exe

**After Game Update**

REMOVE & ADD AGAIN as the file dates and sizes change may cause your firewall to block them again.

2. Check Router Settings

If you use a router and you start experiencing issues you may need to configure the outbound ports to allow the game to connect correctly. The following ports need outbound forwarding:

-5222 (Chat)

If you use a router that is separate from your modem, you can try bypassing the router and connecting your computer directly to your modem. If your modem is also your router, then you may have to check the ports by connecting to your modem.

If you do not know how to open ports for your router or modem, please use your favourite search engine to look for "Name of Modem / Router port forwarding".

3. Remove Conflicts

-Shut down unnecessary 3rd party software.

-We do not recommend that you turn off firewall or anti-virus software; however, please note that Avast Anti-Virus Software has been known to interfere with Unity, which is the engine that TCGO is run on.

-Applications known to cause connection issues with some games include VOIP software like SKYPE, Download Accelerators, and P2P Software such as Torrent downloading utilities.

4. Clean Up

Remove every trace of TCGO from your computer. Download the latest build from the website and do a fresh install. After you uninstall, ensure that all files are gone:

1. Go to the Programs and Features section your computer's Control Panel. Select the game and uninstall it.
  2. Go to the directory where the game was installed. The default directory is C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData.
  3. The game stores files in the LocalLow and Roaming folders. Go into the LocalLow folder and delete the "The Pok_mon Company International" folder. Go into the Roaming folder and delete the "Pokemon Trading Card Game Online" folder.
  4. Empty your Recycle Bin.

-Unplug your modem (and router if you use one) for 1 minute. Plug in modem, then router and reboot your PC.

-If you are using a WiFi connection, try plugging in to your modem with a cable instead.

-Flush your DNS cache to get rid of outdated data that can cause connection problems. Here are instructions for Windows 7:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
  2. Type cmd and press Enter. (This will open a command prompt.)
  3. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  4. Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter.
  5. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  6. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  7. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  8. Reboot the computer.

Try A Clean Boot

Use your favourite search engine to look up how to do a "Clean Boot" of your system. By doing a clean boot you will be able to determine if a specific piece of software is preventing game connection. A clean boot will temporarily turn off non-essential programs and services that start up when you boot your computer.

If the game runs and connects as normal, then there is something running that is conflicting with your connection.

Miscellaneous Tips

-Check the time and date on your computer, ensure that they are set correctly.

-Install the latest updates for your OS and run the TCGO Refresher, which can be found in your Pokémon TCGO folder.

-Check your computer for viruses and malware

-Make sure your computer has the minimum amount of RAM required to run TCGO.

-Make sure that you have the newest audio and video drivers for your hardware.

-Try 'Run as Administrator' with Pokémon Trading Card Game Online.exe, right click on the file to select the option.

I can not play.

Refresher - the circle shows 2/5 step, 4/5 step, 2/5 step, 4/5 ...

Trying to install and uninstall but it shows that it can not by file user_profile (as if the file was not).

how to fix this problem to install? Already a month, I can not play on updates 03/09/2014

Hi Kasacek,

Sorry to hear about this issue. The USER_PROFILE error is a Windows error, otherwise known as ''Error 1606. Could Not Access Network Location''.

The solution is simple to find via your preferred search engine. Just do a search for the error I listed above.

Once you manage to get the game reinstalled, please let us know if you are still experiencing the server error.

Thanks, hope this helps!

Archived