Bringing Back Older Expansions - Cards

JavierSalvador

As the PTCG community grow, more people start searching about the game's history. As a result, a lot of people want to play with the older formats, formats that the PTCGO does not provide (Base Set, Ruby & Sapphire, etc.). In response to this I have come up with this idea : "Players can purchase older packs in the shop with tokens". Then when they collect the necessary cards they will go to the UNLIMITED MODE : "and decide with which's seasons format they want to play" - (I want the 2009-10, Base Set, 2003-4 etc.). This way people won't join other Pokemon sites in order to find what PTCGO does not provide. Moreover, the PTCGO will experience a significant growth of players and a significant raise of people wanting more packs (the online way of getting cards-- the currency between packs and cards), thus real-life packs will become more popular.

Thank you for considering my idea, :)

Hi JavierSalvador,

This has been suggested previously, but I seem to recall that a fair number of players were all for it. I'm going to submit it to the development team again for good measure. :)

Keep 'em coming! We love to hear your suggestions!

I agree 100%.

If this is TRULY Pokemon Trading Card Game, it needs ALL its cards.

Keep suggesting this guys! The more people want it, the more Pokemon will realize it's a moneymaker!! :)

It doesn't concern me directly since I only play standard, but if older sets get added then the unlimited mode would eventually become a total mess. The decks that are possible when combining any from all trainers and abilities in the history of the game are completely broken and the matches would never last over 2 turns except in the case of some ridiculous unbeatable control deck.

I know you addressed it, but adding all the numerous game modes needed to keep modes other than expanded and standard playable after adding certain ones of the older cards would increase queue times for pretty much everyone. And either way, unlimited would be gone.

Nothing against the general idea of adding old sets, but it can't be done just like that, and I have no idea how it could be implemented without causing more problems than improvements.

It doesn't concern me directly since I only play standard, but if older sets get added then the unlimited mode would eventually become a total mess. The decks that are possible when combining any from all trainers and abilities in the history of the game are completely broken and the matches would never last over 2 turns except in the case of some ridiculous unbeatable control deck.

I know you addressed it, but adding all the numerous game modes needed to keep modes other than expanded and standard playable after adding certain ones of the older cards would increase queue times for pretty much everyone. And either way, unlimited would be gone.

Nothing against the general idea of adding old sets, but it can't be done just like that, and I have no idea how it could be implemented without causing more problems than improvements.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with this. This is an argument that I have heard again and again and I still don't see how this is true. The most powerful cards in the game (mind a few early trainers and some broken Pokemon) have been released already into this game. Why would adding some other powerful cards that rival the current powerful cards would "make a mess"? Because it adds more variety? I don't get it.

I do agree SOME trainers and Pokemon in the past are over-powered, but either we accept them (because there are tons of OP cards in the online game already) or we just don't add those specific cards (like Gust of Wind) into the game overall. In fact, everyone would have the chance at the same cards. Isn't that fair for all? I fail, however, to see how this is complicated in any way. I feel it's just an excuse not to try.

Variety is NEVER a mess. Adding OP cards is. I still say we should add the old cards.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with this. This is an argument that I have heard again and again and I still don't see how this is true. The most powerful cards in the game (mind a few early trainers and some broken Pokemon) have been released already into this game. Why would adding some other powerful cards that rival the current powerful cards would "make a mess"? Because it adds more variety? I don't get it.

I do agree SOME trainers and Pokemon in the past are over-powered, but either we accept them (because there are tons of OP cards in the online game already) or we just don't add those specific cards (like Gust of Wind) into the game overall. In fact, everyone would have the chance at the same cards. Isn't that fair for all? I fail, however, to see how this is complicated in any way. I feel it's just an excuse not to try.

Variety is NEVER a mess. Adding OP cards is. I still say we should add the old cards.

I don't really see any enjoyment in a pure rps format dominated by donk decks and some lock decks that counter them with turns that take 10 minutes as players set up their entire deck in one go with practically unlimited search and draw engines, and the current unlimited appears much more playable from what little I've seen of it. But maybe there are a lot of players who like that sort of thing, I'm just pointing out the potential problems I see with the idea.

please bring back the cards from the early diamond and pearl series . the previous ones are useless and pretty bad artwork . so please bring back the expansion from DIAMOND AND PEARL BASE SET to hgss . i love some of those cards . they are pretty useful too . i have a deck based on the old expansion and its awesome . i want those expansions back

I don't really see any enjoyment in a pure rps format dominated by donk decks and some lock decks that counter them with turns that take 10 minutes as players set up their entire deck in one go with practically unlimited search and draw engines, and the current unlimited appears much more playable from what little I've seen of it. But maybe there are a lot of players who like that sort of thing, I'm just pointing out the potential problems I see with the idea.

Yes, but didn't you see what i said? You can take out certain broken cards LIKE the Porygon2 and Slowking. a few bad cards shouldn't stop the otherwise harmless card sets.

Yes, but didn't you see what i said? You can take out certain broken cards LIKE the Porygon2 and Slowking. a few bad cards shouldn't stop the otherwise harmless card sets.

Sorry, your use of GoW as the first example of a gamebreaking card made me think you underestimate the problem. Banning or omitting certain cards can make the unlimited format work much better. You'd need to find some objective basis for banning cards, though.

Sorry, your use of GoW as the first example of a gamebreaking card made me think you underestimate the problem. Banning or omitting certain cards can make the unlimited format work much better. You'd need to find some objective basis for banning cards, though.

To be honest, I think you guys overestimate the problem big time. Almost all the cards are not broken from the past. Most cards would pale in comparison to the overpowered EX cards today.

I think most of us wouldn't mind having access to at least some older cards in PTCGO. I know I would, too! :)

The problem, more than anything, seems to be resources: PTCGO has had a hard enough time continually addressing bugs from 20 sets' worth of card interactions; besides the fact that the game has mostly served to promote the current products and metagame, simply adding one more set worth of cards appears to require a very large amount of resources from what we understand to be a limited design and programming team.

It doesn't hurt to suggest it again, but Aisor is definitely right that someone has to make arbitrary decisions about what cards to ban from Unlimited. Getting rid of Slowking and Sneasel is only the beginning; in Unlimited, everyone would run 4 Professor Oak (not a Supporter, you can play 4 a turn) and 4 Computer Search (not an Ace Spec, you can run 4 in every deck, too). Between these and Item Finder, the Junk Arm that could retrieve any trainer, Unlimited decks focusing on donk wins by burning through half the deck on the first turn would be a real presence.

But if the team arbitrarily decides to ban Computer Search, someone else will say, "But Base Set isn't the same without the trainers!" And they would be right. Who gets to decide?

I also agree with Aisor that this would require many different formats to be coded in (something we all want anyway, at least for the more recent formats with existing cards). People would like to have random matches with every past and possible format, otherwise you will end up facing Yveltal-Ex with base set Pikachu. And with many times more cards involved, both the number and difficulty of dealing with new bugs would increase. It seems like HGSS cards already receive much less attention for bug fixes than Standard ones; the same thing is likely to happen when the team has to choose between fixing a card from Diamond and Pearl or Mega Kangaskhan.

It is obvious that the dev team already needs all its resources simply to bring us one new format (Expanded) and one new set (Phantom Forces) and maybe even one new feature (Tournaments) in a timely fashion.

Basically, the balance problems and sheer amount of work/decision-making/deviation from current sales this would require probably condemn it to the backburner for a very long time. Even if the dev team wants to do it, they already have Tournaments, Extended Format, and Phantom Forces on their hands, all higher priorities for almost everyone including the Standard tournament players who want to test. :(

A great idea for the future! :)

rather than consider just the logistics of whether they can or cannot do this, have you considered how the company would benefit from implementing such a system? you are basically asking them to do a heap of work implementing very very old cards and programming every single card for your sake. In return how much money/profit are they getting back? how many more real life booster packs will they sell from doing this? how many extra gems would they sell from this? rather than think about how you would profit from your suggestions, how about thinking what sort of incentive there is for the devs to do it?

rather than consider just the logistics of whether they can or cannot do this, have you considered how the company would benefit from implementing such a system? you are basically asking them to do a heap of work implementing very very old cards and programming every single card for your sake. In return how much money/profit are they getting back? how many more real life booster packs will they sell from doing this? how many extra gems would they sell from this? rather than think about how you would profit from your suggestions, how about thinking what sort of incentive there is for the devs to do it?

Considering that most have played the old cards and would love them, I think they can make a significant profit from it. How would they not? If they advertised that the older cards are back with gems (real money) as the currency to get them, how would that NOT be a huge profit for them, especially because they'll be rare?

You don't have to think very long to easily see how it's worth the work. Do they want the money? Then they'll do it. It's 100% profitable!

Considering that most have played the old cards and would love them, I think they can make a significant profit from it. How would they not? If they advertised that the older cards are back with gems (real money) as the currency to get them, how would that NOT be a huge profit for them, especially because they'll be rare?

You don't have to think very long to easily see how it's worth the work. Do they want the money? Then they'll do it. It's 100% profitable!

can you tell me how much money you yourself would pay for a virtual booster pack?

There is currently almost 5 gigabytes of card data already on this game, and that alone covers only cards from HGSS onwards. how much money will they have to spend to make all those cards from set one till now? how many booster packs of each set are you really going to buy? how many booster packs would they need to sell before they even break even? implementing that many cards into the game does not just happen at the snap of a finger you know? they're already barely keeping up with current gen cards (evident from the numerous bugs that plague the game)

Nobody said to get all cards at once :) This can be done due time ... but I find it strange that other sites are using older cards and "The Ptcg o doesn't. The PTCG O is truly magnificent and I'm a HUGE fan of it, but suggestions are suggestions, nobody is expecting them to come true. The probability is 1 in 1.000.000.000 . "The dev team has already many problems on its mind, so why have more?" Because its Suggestions. Companies WANT to hear its customers, so they can know what people want and Give them that. Its "Win-Win" option. A LOT of people want to play with older cards for multiple reasons. These reasons are the ones that can make PTCGO much more profitable. Imagine this : " Other pkmn sites are like competitors, they give to people what ptcgo doesn't. If this continues the number of players will decline (shortly - but decline is decline) and as a result the number of people buying boosters as well! Why buy something when U can have it for free ?! (I don't agree to this statement though). What I'm trying to say is that Ptcgo would be COMPLETE if it had ALL of its cards. I didn't say "DO IT NOW" that would be rude, I said "If there is a space for improvement, consider this idea 'cause its the Number 1 thing that people want...

Either way, If old cards wouldn't come, at least I would REALLY like new formats to be added (12-13, 11,12 etc) People would use their "OLD" decks and wouldn't play in unlimited against Yveltal, Rayquaza etc. THIS is Mess...

Last but not least, divide unlimited into formats is the best option for not "ruining" unlimited. If you want THIS unlimited, why not having a NEW EXTENDED format from HGSS to Fuf ? Its really a bad experience playing Rayeels against Lostgar .... Some cards where designed to play against others and THAT'S WHAT I SUGGESTED.... :/

Thank you for supporting my idea and commented. :) :) :)

I don't think people want a full unlimited format as much as they want to play older formats. It would be fun to play a Worlds format from a previous year. I just can't see how it would be done, and it would be a lot of work for such minimal gains from the standpoint of TCPi.

The rules of the game have changed since the old cards were printed, they basically belong to a different game. Which would require making up new rules and programming them in as a separate format. Which would be a ridiculous expenditure of resources. Black and white heralded a new era of uniformity in power balance and card formatting which provide a comprehensible game while still allowing it to have some complexity. The old cards changed typing and rule and formatting all the time, which was a confusing barrier of entry for new players.

Unlimited right now is great because of this, it's bigger than standard but it's still not confusing. If you've played non-rotating formats for other card games, you've noticed that the sets don't always line up well. This would be very pronounced for pokemon as it's clear they've had many design teams with different philosophies.

The current Unlimited format is riding that beautiful edge of powerful consistent stuff is going on but nothing that warps the game. And no one had to ban anything or do research to make sure it was a balanced format.

I agree but don't you think that it is not fair to play VVV against cards like virizion? Reshiplosion against Seismitoad? as I mentioned earlier ... suggestions are suggestions,... If they can make a huge change like this, it would be truly great! Not make it at once but periodically ! We can wait!

Somebody mentioned that some of the older theme decks (like Frost Ray) have been rotated out of the Shop.

That is ... too bad. They're still legal in Standard format (excepting specific cards like Pokemon Communications), can they be brought back? The shop still carries booster packs for Next Destinies and Dragons Exalted (which are not Standard-legal)....

Additionally, what about all those deck-specific player achievements? There's one for every Theme deck (plus an extra two each for Nightfall and Daybreak), but half of them are more or less unobtainable because their decks have been out of rotation for some time.

As a future possibility, it would be neat to see the option to play with old cards or new cards. In the vs Mode against other players, we can choose if we want to do Generation 1/2 (Kanto, Johto), Generation 3 (RubySapphireEmerald), Generation 4 (Diamond Pearl Platinum), Generation 5 (BlackWhite), and the newest sets. Well, right now we have some of the Black White generation mixed in with the X Y generation. In this way, if you have a Generation 1 Pika / Buzz / Jolteon deck, you can choose to only play decks that are limited to that era. If you want to see how your Generation 1 Pika deck holds up to an XY Pika Rukario Froakie deck, then you can choose Unlimited From All Generations option.

All I know is that I want my MooMoo Milk in my decks :)

As a future possibility, it would be neat to see the option to play with old cards or new cards. In the vs Mode against other players, we can choose if we want to do Generation 1/2 (Kanto, Johto), Generation 3 (RubySapphireEmerald), Generation 4 (Diamond Pearl Platinum), Generation 5 (BlackWhite), and the newest sets. Well, right now we have some of the Black White generation mixed in with the X Y generation. In this way, if you have a Generation 1 Pika / Buzz / Jolteon deck, you can choose to only play decks that are limited to that era. If you want to see how your Generation 1 Pika deck holds up to an XY Pika Rukario Froakie deck, then you can choose Unlimited From All Generations option.

All I know is that I want my MooMoo Milk in my decks :)

LOL xD Thats what I suggested :P

Archived