Option to destroy cards for tokens

Aisor

I'm not a huge fan of ending up with 60 copies of the same card after opening some booster packs and having absolutely no use for them. There are no actual practical problems, but it feels kind like a big waste. Would be awesome to have the option to be able to get rid of pointless extra cards by being able to trash them for tokens. Even if just very few, it would be better than nothing and helps tidy up collections from those ugly, excessively big numbers at the very least.

Here's the suggestion:

If your have more than 4 copies of a common or an uncommon card in your collection, you can destroy copies one by one for tokens until you have 4 of that card left. You can't trash cards if you have only 4 copies of that card. It doesn't matter if the cards are locked or unlocked, but the locked cards are destroyed first. Normal cards and reverse holos are treated as separate cards.

The rewards could be, for example:

1 token for each common

2 tokens for each uncommon

3 tokens for each reverse holo common

4 tokens for each reverse holo uncommon

Rares and Promos, or at least ultra rares, could probably be excluded from the system as they tend to have uses for trading, they are difficult to value for this kind of system and because they are less common so we naturally end up with less duplicates, but I wouldn't have anything against including the option to destroy them as well.

Only being able to use the feature if we have 4 copies of that card instead of being able to destroy any cards freely has a couple of purposes: 1) It would help keep the feature one that removes redundant copies instead of one that leads to players discarding all not-so-powerful cards in hopes of getting the best ones from the next booster pack. 2) Would reduce the risk of accidentally destroying parts of your collection, at least a full playset is always safe 3) It wouldn't really have features of gambling if you only get rid of excess cards.

Basically it would be kind of similar to Hearthstone's disenchanting and crafting, but less powerful as you can't buy specific singles with tokens and the values would be very low.

This sounds like a great idea. I have certain cards which I also have horrendously high amounts of, and it would be nice to have an option to destroy all but 4 of a remaining type of card (since we're only limited to a maximum of 4 of a certain type of card in a deck anyways). I support this idea, and would love to get it implemented in the game!

I have a high amount of excess cards in real life, can I turn in 195 common cards to get a legendary treasures booster pack?

Can I have an unlimited amount of energy cards in real life then?

I have a high amount of excess cards in real life, can I turn in 195 common cards to get a legendary treasures booster pack?

yea why don't we have that?

Instead of wasting time making unconstructive sarcastic comments, maybe you should stop to think for a second. The cards in TCGO aren't collector's items and their value is only defined by their gameplay value. You can't even use the expression they aren't worth the cardboard they are printed on because the cards don't physically exist.

Directly adapting the shortcomings of one medium to another just for the sake of parity serves no purpose whatsoever, and wanting to change it is not entitled whining, it's just common sense.

Besides, your point doesn't apply to energy since it's free at leagues.

Do you have a friend in real life who'll trade an unopened booster pack for the cards?

But seriously, folks.

Do you have a friend in real life who'll trade an unopened booster pack for the cards?

But seriously, folks.

seriously speaking, i personally would not mind a trade like that

if the cards aren't collector's items why are there people attempting to collect them?

how about you also stop and think about the fact that you're putting out a suggestion where people would be allowed to trade in a bunch common cards for a booster pack, which will very likely contain cards worth more than the common cards you trade in. you are even suggesting that locked cards be included in this system. what is stopping someone from redeeming infinite amounts of rallying cry decks and just destroying them all for infinite packs?

Directly adapting the shortcomings of one medium to another just for the sake of parity serves no purpose whatsoever, but wanting to make changes without thinking it through isn't exactly common sense

I get that having more than a playset can be really annoying, I experience it too. and believe me I would love for it to be true if a trade like what you said was possible, but I honestly believe there is a lot more to consider than something as simple as you say without ruining the economy and causing card prices to rise further than it already has. everytime packs become more easily accessible in the game the price of the rare cards just goes so much higher

In addition i will also mention how I have been dealing with my excess of cards. I trade

3+ commons I have excess of for 1 common that I want

6+ commons I have excess of for 1 uncommon that I want

9+ uncommons I have excess of for 1 lousy rare that I want

I often try to put same copies into the same trade so that whoever is accepting them will acheive a full playset for themselves a bit faster

the revers foils and rares are are very variable on a case by case basis so there's no clear rule for that

these trade often get completed within the first 8 hours they get posted, and it has been effective in reducing my excess cards. And I would imagine these trades are often taken up by beginner players who are looking to expand their collection

Something like the Rallying Cry problem could be handled in so many ways, just make it a one-time unlock for 4 locked copies of each card instead of being infinitely redeemable. That also has more benefits than just fixing that single problem since it's more intuitive and less redundant in general. And the untradeable cards from theme decks (at least the basic ones) could be an exception; you wouldn't be able to destroy copies of those cards if that would lead to owning less untradeable copies of the cards than are needed to fully build the deck. Actually, thinking about that only makes me want the change more.

Even with the random numbers I gave as an example, that's 14-15 tokens per a Legendary Treasures 10 card booster pack, so you'd get every 14th booster pack free, and that's only if you have a full playset of every common and uncommon you pulled already. Further, if you don't have a full set of the reverse holo you get, it's limited to at most 11 tokens per a booster pack, so basically every 18th booster would be free, but only if you already have a full playset of everything except the reverse holo.

Does that really sound excessive to you, considering the game already hands out boosters and tokens for free, and that this is essentially just a rather inefficient and uncertain way of trading cards nobody wants for a chance at completing playsets elsewhere in your collection (or getting a few more extra cards worth something to trade, which increases the supply of excess good cards in the market)? As for the cards someone wants, well, naturally you don't destroy those for mere 1-6 tokens or something, and instead trade them for something you need or want just like until now.

What you say about prices makes no sense. Obviously the boosters created this way, as well as their contents, would be untradeable, they are bought with tokens. Since the system would increase the number of tokens available, so would the number of theme decks and boosters bought, which creates more cards, including those rares, ultra rares and secret rares everyone wants. Anything rare would be for the most part impossible to destroy (I'd limit it to being able to destroy only the locked copies of rares (no UR or SR) that you have a full tradeable playset of, and even then only for a very low price like 5 normal 6 reverse).

As for affecting the prices of ultra rares and secret rares, I'll just sum it up to 2 basic reasons why this would significantly lower them rather than inflate them further, despite slightly increasing the number of cards in the game:

1) This change would increase the incentive to actually open the packs, which both increases the supply (more of the cards will exist) and lowers the demand of the cards (people get and open more boosters, and therefore get more of the cards they need without further trading)

2) If we get some small value out of even the most awful of packs, the packs' general valuation improves, which decreases the pack-per-card ration in market values.

Including all rares in the sytem is indeed pretty questionable, after thinking about it for a while, and I was hesistant to include it even when I first posted. Destroying rares should just be limited to locked cards at most. But anyway, since the system is aimed primarily at commons and uncommons that doesn't undermine the general idea.

1) the incentive to open untradeable packs does not change with the implementation of this system, there is absolutely no incentive to not open an untradeable pack, except if you wanted to collect untradeable packs.

yes it increases the supply of certain cards(rarer ones), but it reduces even more of other cards(commons). Yes lowers the demand of cards, but not for the right cards, otherwise rare cards would not have been classes as rare. Being a TRADING card game, I don't think the idea is to get more cards you need without further trading.

2) the reason the cards were packaged the way they are is exactly so that you don't always get the same value out of every pack. getting more value out of that pack is a job left to the owner and his trades. It is a TRADING card game after all

I will however apologise for early sarcasms, apparently people here don't take well to those. But I am in general quite opposed to suggestions that are completely 1 sided, i.e. only stating all the benefits and not considering any of the negative implications.

Examples includes suggestions to:

- make untradeable cards tradeable

- more tokens

- ban ex cards

- restricting trade numbers

- bringing in cards from sets decades ago

- game rewards

I am confident that any changes made will always have positive and benefits to them. Which is why i am very opposed to people making these suggestions, stating only the benefits because it is giving the impression that they are trying to find ways to benefit themselves while ignoring the more difficult questions of the side effects from such an idea. As a result i have always had to play the devil's advocate to try and help think of the harder questions for these people. i would very much love to see a proper debate between the playerbase on a lot of these suggestions, but unfortunately people will always see the suggestions and respond positively because they realise they can benefit from it too. (and believe me I would totally benefit from such an implementation as well)

I don't know much about you but I am under the impression that you have at least some understanding of economics at the very least, so I find it very hard to believe that you can only see benefits from a new system, that's a politician's job (hopefully you're not)

The effect of boosters getting more value doesn't come from opening more untradeable booster packs, it would rather come from the fact tradable booster would yield very slightly more cards in the long run as the few tokens the garbage cards can be destroyed for eventually become new untradeable booster packs. But that's not the most important factor in my opinion, that would be the psychological effect when no pack would ever be a 100% waste.

As I said, trading is in most cases more efficient than trashing for tokens. At least when I look through my collection, the commons that evolve into something decent aren't worth destroying, they can be traded for other evolving basics at the very least, and then there are special cases like Trubbish. A ton of uncommons are playable, particularly many of the trainers and special energies are more valuable than most rares. With that in mind, destroying cards for tokens can be seen as a measure to use when trading is impossible or too time-consuming and inefficient to do. The change might even make the public trade slightly less flooded with awful trade offers and encourage proper trading.

As for only presenting the good sides, players are selling their concepts here based on what they want, the implementation of the ideas in a manner that maintains a feasible business model and a workable in-game economy is the role of the development team. But you are doing a good job at bringing up the potential/probably negative effects, for example I must admit I completely overlooked the theme deck problem. And apology accepted for sarcasm, I was kind of edgy and ended up being too direct and condescending in my tone following that, I'm sorry as well.

Archived