About the development of this game...

Milennin

I know this will most likely receive some standard, non-insightful reply, but I have to write it anyway.

Just what is going on with this mess of a game? I joined months ago, and since then no progress seems to have been made on this game. In fact, it's in a worse state than it was back then in some ways. What happened to tournaments? Why am I unable to chat during matches and in special lobbies? Why am I not receiving an answer from customer support about tickets I've sent in?

The only thing that got significantly improved during these months is the trade system (it took some time to get it right, but it's finally working), but apparently that's how the trade system used to work a year+ or so ago... before I was a part of this game. So, I'm not sure why the system received such a downgrade, only to be brought back again later on.

Also, apparently this game has been in open beta for 2+ years now. Just... how? How is this possible? How do you have your game for 2+ years in open beta and still have nothing about an official release? Do you guys even have a plan as to where you want this game to be in the next months / year? And why are we as beta testers treated like 3-year olds. We're not getting any information about the development of this game. Not anything about the current state of this game. Not anything about future plans for this game. I've been a part of beta testing in other games previously, and all of them had development teams that shared useful information with its players.

Things like:

-Known issues

-Planned features with detailed information

-Development blogs/videos

-Insightful posts on their forums

-Regular status updates

-A RELEASE DATE

These teams had plans and a vision for the future of their game. They knew what they wanted to do with their game, and they shared everything they had with the players who were testing their game.

Here we get nothing of that, and this game seems to be stuck in an endless development cycle without making noticable progress whatsoever. Conveniently hiding behind its beta™ tag till the end of time.

We had tournaments on a consistent once-a-week basis, then suddenly one tournament gets cancelled and since then we've heard -NOTHING- about them again. Did you guys break the tournament coding? Were people getting too many free packs from these tournaments? Why do tournaments have to be in a testing phase for months on end anyway? Why are we still not getting information about any of this?

Then there's this issue I've been suffering from since last weekend that has not been acknowledged yet. I log in one day, and suddenly I'm unable to chat during VS matches and in special lobbies. Like, whaaaaaaaaat? How did this happen? Why am I not receiving an answer after sending in a support ticket? Why is this issue not getting acknowledged by moderators on the forums? Sorry, but not being able to chat in those places is a huge detriment to my enjoyment of the game. I don't really want to go 2 months without chat before my support ticket gets finally read if it can be helped at all.

What I'm getting at with this thread is that I'd like to see more (like, way more) transparency when it comes to the development of this game. I like Pokémon, I like TCGs, I want this to succeed. But at this rate it's going to be forever stuck as a beta project. Again: why are we not getting any useful information regarding the development of this game?

I'll be happy to tackle this one, as I have been in this alpha / beta now for a few years.

#1: Its easy to be upset when you have expectations, but in reality they could have just as easily waited and not shown us any part of this game until it was 100% finished and you know what? I would have been really really really bored.

#2: As a game developer myself, I know how hard it is to do most of the things you are asking for on a minimum budget, and not saying they are on one, but seeings as they are using unity to program this game I would assume this isn't getting much funding.

#3: Yes I do think they should be more transparent about the situation, but they aren't entitled to. I'm not trying to white knight them or anything, as I write probably more suggestions on this forum than anyone else because I'm also unhappy with the game's current state. At the same time I'm happy and I appreciate the effort that has already been made. I can tell this project isn't the top priority for the pokemon company, but they are doing it anyways. I can see in down the road this game will be awesome. In the mean time we just have to sit back, relax, soak up some free goodies, and wait for the final game to come out.

My guess is they don't know what is going on either, and rather than sounding stupid they are just keeping their mouths shut until they are able to actively give us a good answer.

TLDR its easy to complain about something when you're not the one that put in those 3 or so years of beta programming.

1. If they didn't show us anything they would have no one but internal testers to test their stuff, which would slow down their progress even further. While we should be grateful that we get a free game to play, they should be grateful that we spend our free time testing their unfinished game.

2. The budget being low doesn't excuse the things I'm asking for. I'm asking them to share information. Surely they could spend 30 minutes a week to give us an update about the next upcoming patch? Or spend 5 minutes making a forum post that's actually insightful, rather than the copy/paste we always get. I'd also like my account status reverted to how it was last week before my chat got bugged. I'm not asking them to release the game fully bug-free by next month.

3. We aren't entitled to more transparency, but it would help them as much as it would us. If we knew what kind of direction they want to take with this game, and what kind of things they plan on doing, then we as players can be more accurate with our feedback and suggestions. Also, the people that are currently playing are the ones most likely to spend money once given the option to do so (I know I would if prices are kept reasonable). Keeping customers in the dark isn't a good thing, neither is showing a lack of confidence in your game, or not having/showing a plan at all.

[Content removed - all posts must remain on the topic of Pokémon. -Prof. Poplar]

Instead of endlessly working on little things that have no real impact on the real game (and are likely only going to make things more buggy), I'd like to see them putting a huge focus on working out as many bugs as possible, get their act together with tournaments and finally set a date for release (and let us all know about it). Get that cash shop up with reasonable prices and a good selection of products, start making some profit, then use that profit to expand your development team and the quality of your workplace.

Regardless of it slowing down their game even more, you would be completely in the dark about it, hence your problem would be non existent.

Budgets have probably the largest thing to do with every portion of game development. You don't know how large this team is, how much time they spend on it, how much money has gone into it, how much of their own money has gone into it, the programming skill of these people, and the licensing issues they may be going through.

Yes they probably could take 30 minutes a week to write something, but you don't know the full details. There could be a very good reason why nothing is being said. Maybe not, who knows? I agree as well that more information would be better, but I know due to my publisher, I can't even release information about the game that I created without asking first. Contracts are terrible terrible things.

For the most part I agree with 3, but like I said it goes along with the previous statement.

[Content removed - all posts must remain on the topic of Pokémon. -Prof. Poplar]

I would say the tournament should be one of the lowest priorities ever to be honest. This is a small portion of the game and I would vote bugs and other fixes well beyond this. They could just as easily say no tournaments until the game is out of beta. Also you don't know; the game might still get canned. Maybe nintendo is watching to see how well it does and won't put very much money into it until it knows it won't flop. (which might end up killing the game ultimately but still). Maybe they aren't willing to add cash shop items because they don't want the backlash from american consumers if the game eventually does get canned. You just. Don't. Know. Its best to just sit, wait, and be happy this thing even exists. Yes it could be a lot better. But it is what it is and we should just sit and enjoy the ride.

Its best to just sit, wait, and be happy this thing even exists. Yes it could be a lot better. But it is what it is and we should just sit and enjoy the ride.

Why bother writing all that stuff, or come here in the first place if that's your stance on the matter?

My point is post constructive criticism rather than making it sound so complainy. You come in here barking as loud as possible and all I'm saying is you don't know what they are going through so you don't really have the right to feel like you deserve something for nothing.

If I'm building a clubhouse and I put a sign up and it says "anyone welcome to use the clubhouse" and its not finished, what right do you have to come into my clubhouse and tell me how to build it?

Suggestions are one thing, but coming in here and acting fed up is a completely different thing.

My point is post constructive criticism rather than making it sound so complainy. You come in here barking as loud as possible and all I'm saying is you don't know what they are going through so you don't really have the right to feel like you deserve something for nothing.

If I'm building a clubhouse and I put a sign up and it says "anyone welcome to use the clubhouse" and its not finished, what right do you have to come into my clubhouse and tell me how to build it?

Suggestions are one thing, but coming in here and acting fed up is a completely different thing.

Exactly, we don't know what they're going through because they don't share anything, lol. Maybe if they gave out more information we could have better expectations and be more useful to them as beta testers. It shouldn't matter that I sound... complainy (is that a word?), I still offer constructive criticism that could be useful to them. I don't know why you get so defensive over a less passively written suggestion.

Your analogy is bad, because your example is missing the suggestions box you would have standing next to your clubhouse, just as these guys have a feedback & suggestions forum. If they didn't want people to tell them what to do, then why have this forum at all?

And yet, I'm still offering a suggestion. [Content removed - please keep all discussion polite and constructive. -Prof. Poplar]

I have agreed with some of your points, and I have offered counter arguments. [Content removed - please keep all discussion polite and constructive. -Prof. Poplar]

Hello trainers!

I have read through all posts here and believe that there is much insight to gain from both points of view. We greatly appreciate your input regarding all aspects of the game and its development – whether positive or negative – and hope to use this input to continue improving the game. I will submit this discussion to the Dev team and other relevant parties and leave your thread open should you desire to discuss this further. With that being said, please do remember to keep discussion polite, constructive, and on the topic of Pokémon. If you would like to re-read the rules regarding this, please click the Forum Rules link toward the bottom of the page.

Regarding your chat issue, I see that you made your thread a couple of days ago. As Moderators, we have several other duties beyond responding to forum posts. However, we do attempt to respond to all threads requiring assistance as soon as we can. I will be taking a look at this issue in just a moment. Likewise, the support team's response time can be varied based on the volume of tickets, the time of year (some times are much busier than others), and the issue at hand. Some issues do require a lengthier investigation than others. I would just like to note that submitting multiple tickets regarding the same matter will actually slow the process down by creating more content for the support team to review. Regardless, our support team does work hard to respond to issues as quickly as possible. We all greatly appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

I hope this was helpful, and as always, thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
3. We aren't entitled to more transparency, but it would help them as much as it would us. If we knew what kind of direction they want to take with this game, and what kind of things they plan on doing, then we as players can be more accurate with our feedback and suggestions.

This is a valid point. As players in a beta game, we should at least be familiar with the design concepts the developers are following when making the game, be it to make suggestions about gameplay being more readable or letting us target suggestions to help the interface feel more smooth and user friendly. I feel it would also be useful to have the patch notes include what bugs were fixed such as the patch notes on 9/25 did on a regular basis.

Overall though, I agree that having more development insight can't hurt with players being able to make more thoughtful suggestions than what they think prizes from the wheel should be.

Archived