YveltalEX/DarkraiEX

Linnell

This my ptcgo deck, working on the irl deck. 70W/1L ranked matches, lost to an Xernas-EX/Mewtwo-EX Fairy deck. Still need to get 1 Ace-Spec card, either a Master Ball or Computer Search. Also need 1 Startling Megaphone and maybe Super Energy Retrieval over the regular retrieval. It's strongest against Lucario-EX decks as almost all my games against it were severely 1-sided with Mewtwo and Trevenant being a major weakness to almost all the pokemon used in the deck and Yveltal is resistant to fighting types and with Shadow Circle in play Darkrai is no longer weak to fighting types. Xernas-EX decks and Greeninja-EX decks seem to be the toughest matches so far with fairys being resistant to dark types and the max potion spaming and Greeninja's 1 energy 50 damage + ability for 30 more + a muscle band makes for a 1 energy 100 damage attack and doesn't help strengthen Yveltal's Evil Ball or Mewtwo's X-Ball.

Any comments or suggestions? *Deck Update 10/11/14*

Pokemon (12):

Yveltal-EX x3

Darkrai-EX x1 (will become Malamar-EX Phantom Force)

Mew-EX x1

Dedenne x1

Yveltal (Oblivion Wing) x2

Raichu (Short Circuit) 2-2

Trainers (36):

Dowsing Machine Ace-Spec x1

Bicycle x2

Ultra Ball x4

Professor's Letter x2

Switch x3

Hypnotoxic Laser x4

Startling Megaphone x2

Muscle Band x3

Float Stone x2

Virbank City Gym x2

N x4

Juniper x4

Colress x2

Lysandre x1

Energy (12)

Double Colorless x3

Darkness Energy (basic) x9

For those of you who don't know Malamar-EX is Dark 170HP, Ability: Powerful Hynosis (once per turn before you attack when you place a Darkness Energy from your hand on to Malamar-EX you may use this ability. Your opponents active Pokemon is now Asleep.) Attack Calamari Max D,C - flip a coin equal to the number of energy attached to Malamar-EX, this attack does 60x the number of heads.

Mainly I won't be using Malamar-ex for its attack athough it is a very possible attacker if needed though it its not consistent, it can potentially be really strong. Its the ability I want, that's using Hynotoxic Laser with Virbank City Gym and a sleeping Pokemon if you flip tails on the Laser and decide to use your energy placement on Malamar. And we all know how a game can be decided by a sleeping Pokemon that doesn't wake up and just keeps taking damage.

So how does this deck fare against Pyroar decks? Also, not familiar with the Random Receivers yet. What is the benefit of viewing your deck until a supporter card? Also, when cashing in on ultra balls do you only discard dark energies for yvetel?

Trevenant is in the deck only because of the Pyroar, Sigilyph (safeguard), and Suicune (safeguard). Yveltal (regular) can handle Sigilyph and Suicune but only Trevenant can take down Pyroar. I was going to run Garbodor (toxicbordor) but I like Trevenant's Forest Curse and 60,20,20 snipe, 80,20,20 with a muscle band. I've only played against Pyroar 8 times so far and Trevenant has taken it down each time and when that happens the op usually quits. I've used Darkrai to snipe Litleos while they are benched making it easier for Trevenant or even a Hypnotoxic Laser to take it down faster or Pyroar faster. Lysandre and Escape Rope are really helpful to either pull the Litleos out to acitve to take it out or push Pyroar back if needed.

Ultra Balls and Juniper I always try to make sure there is at least 1 or 2 Darkness Energy in my hand to discard away so I can use the Energy placement for the turn from my hand and use Yveltal's Oblivion Wing to get a second energy placement on whatever is benched that I need powered up. Quite a few other Yveltal decks do the same thing because it just powers up just about everything really fast. But if I don't have a Professor's Letter to get energy or have energy in hand but need to use the Ultra Ball, then I'll just discard whatever, usually something that isn't going to help me at that point. Also Yveltal-EX's Y Cyclone is a major help to move energy attached to it to the benched pokemon, including double colorless energy, if I anticipate it being KO'd on the next turn...if that's the case I usually get a muscle band on it so Y Cyclone hits for 110 then moves a needed energy around.

No real benefit from seeing the top cards of your deck until you reveal a Supporter other than it shuffles your deck aftewords. 9/10 times you use it you end up with N or Juniper which is what you're going for.

Like I stated I've only lost 1 time so far and that was to an Xernas-EX/Mewtwo-EX deck after losing to it the next time I faced one I learned to quickly take down Aromatisse and the Pokemon with the most energy attached to it and the op will quit almost every time because their Max Potion spamming combo and quickly powering up and retreating and powering up whatever, whenever just go shut down. I've only had 2 players actually try to continue playing after I've done this and as soon as I take out the 2nd Aromatisse or its basic form they quit.

have you even seen or played with regional and world competitors, very few run more than 12 energy, usually 15 is the max that's only for decks that need and can support it......decks like mine that can retrieve energy from the discard pile and freely move them around from 1 pokemon to another, don't need more than 12 energy. Also with the high trainer count with search and draw power, you always have the energy/resources needed and quickly.

Okay, here are a few changes I would make. Drop the two psychic energy and go for two more dark energies, or 2 rainbow energies instead (now that enhanced hammer is gone rainbow energy is that much more useful), since it seems a waste to include two psychic energy just for 1 mewtwo-ex. Second, drop 1 energy retrieval and replace it with another N, or drop both and replace one with N and the other with superior energy retrieval. Drop 2 professor's letters, replace them with 1 more virbank and another hypnotoxic laser. Remove red card and add another Lysandre to your deck. I would also personally say remove 1 ultra ball and make room for another energy (rainbow or dark) to add to your deck. Hope my suggestions have been helpful to you.

Pokemon (12):

Yveltal-EX x3

Darkrai-EX x1 (Ever since Dark Patch rotation you really aren't going to see attack as often, I know in TCGO its best out of 1 but realistically in Bo3 your bound to have it in the deck in 2/3 games.)

Mewtwo-EX x1

Jirachi EX x1 (Has its cons but a much more reliable than Random reciever, can help against Seismetoad without a Garbardor in play already and many would agree the number of experiences this card had won them the game more than loss is more favorable)

Yveltal (Oblivion Wing) x2

2-2 Trevenant (Forest's Curse)

Okay 1-1 Trevenant line is not all very helpful.

Yveltal EX itself stands well so I can understand why you won games but realistically a Good Pyroar Deck would know to take out the Phantump or Trevenant in play since that is the only threat and the only Pokemon that can harm it. Additionally item lock does bully down the Pyroar decks but when you put Trevenant active you also really exposing it and unless it is ready to attack and just 1-1 line the decks protection and chance of winning will be short lived.

Okay saying all that i suggest you remove it or without changing your deck strategy to run 2-2 line.

Item: (23)

Bicycle x2 (Makes the deck alot more fast paced, although Item lock does negate this but often i find myslef making most of it before item lock is played in my dark decks also compressing my deck by increasing item usage such as letter, ultra ball etc making my deck more consistent later)

Energy Switch x3

Energy Retrieval x1 // Yes its good but one is just fine

Ultra Ball x3

Professor's Letter x1 // Try it out with just one, im pretty sure its enough.

Escape Rope x1

Switch x1 (Escape rope is good when you have alot of free retreat sometime it may force you to attach that Dark/any energy when you would like to play it on something else)

Hypnotoxic Laser x3

Surprise Megaphone x1 (Atleast one for Garbardor)

Muscle Band x3

Shadow Circle x1

VIrbank City Gym x1

Pal pad x1(I really feel this card explains itself, allows you to discard cards like lysandre, N's with something to acommodate for it)

Dowsing Machine x1 (The deck isnt heavily reliant on evolutions in every matchup so Computer search isn't as good. Dowsing imo is much superior in this deck)

Supporters: (12)

N x2

Shauna (The deck is quite speedy so you may find this favored over the N)

Professor Juniper x4

Pokemon Fan club x1 (Having the bench pokemon there does contribute to how the deck peforms, Darkrai EX or the Yveltal EX to Y cyclone to, the Baby Yveltal etc or the Jirachi EX or Phantump all basically building up and easing your counterattack)

Colress x2 (Yup with Fan club its a neat combo for this card later, also i removed skyla's with hope this card draws you into those cards late game with those big hands, I usually run x3 but for this deck I've stuck to x2)

Lysandre x2

Energy: (13)

Double Colorless x3

Darkness Energy (basic) x8

Psychic Energy x1 (The basic energy line I think is manageable and with energy switch in deck you want atleast a chunk of basic energy to use too)

Rainbow x1 (Since its 2-2 Trev you need to have energy for both of them since both can be in play at once, Rainbow energy is much more flexible and provide the dark energy on Trev for the stadium so you can pop the DCE on it to attack)

if he drops the psychic energy his trevenant can't hit pyroar

Yeah i just replaced 1 out of the 2 Psychic energy with the Rainbow so he/she can still have two Trevenants in play, one with rainbow and one with psychic energy at most.

Also just need to mention to Linnell and anyone considering my list , the decklist Ive provided is through my judgement and experience of playing Yveltal/garbs.

But I will say it is ideal the deck is made according to your experience and understanding. You may decide to completely remove bicycles and add skyla's. Thats is perfectly fine it is you who will be playing the deck :)

Okay get rid of the trevenant line and put in 2-2 beartic line and add in another oblivion wing yevetral and take away 1 darkrai and take away 1 mewtwo put in another N put in another colress put in another lyssandre take away an escape rope, take away a verbank and add a shadow circle then also take away the psychic energys and add a dark energy then take away red card, town map, 2 professors letter, the random receivers, 2 laser and both the energy retrieval also add a jirachi ex, 2 skylas , a switch, a DCE and a muscle band

The main point of this deck is too get the oblivion wing vertral out and try to get as many darkness energy as you can in the discard so you can so you can oblivion wing it onto yvetral ex to power him up yvertral ex is going to be your main attacker darkrai is just going to sit on the bench for his ability bearatic is going to help you alot because he is your only defense against pyroar because he can one hit kill him with igloo hold and with a muscle band can take out the popular landrous ex and jirachi ex is just there to help you because this deck can be slow at first so an ultra ball can become a jirachi witch can become a suppoter which can help you alot at the beggining but beware of lightning types like dedenne and thundrous ex because both of thos can be a big problem for you so in that case you need to get shawdow circle out as fast as possible but dont use them carelessly because most decks have 2 stadium cards in it so if you play it too quickly they can just send out theres and discard yours so you always (exept for when you disperetly need them) play yours second

Hope I helped :)

PS Dowsing machine would help alot in this deck but if ace spec cards are too expensive dont put it in also scramble switch would be a good ace spec in this deck too and computer search helps almost every deck

I have the Startling Megaphone, it was added shortly after I made the post. Instead of Energy Retrieval at 1, I want Super Energy Retrieval at 1, found that with 2 Energy Retrievals it can be a little cluncky and I most of the time discard 1 of them. Agree with the Switch and have had that experience where I place Darkness Energys on things just to retreat them, don't like that. Also found that by the time I have Computer Search I've already used most of that I want for Items/Supporters so I defiantly want the Dowsing Machine in its place. Only trying the Trevenant because of the item lock, haven't attacked with it much, except against Pyroar decks and Safegaurd pokemon, and have been thinking that the Garbodor will be more useful and consistent from the bench and not have to make it active to make it useful, allowing my Yveltal and Mewtwo clean things up. Lysandre def 2 after giving it a few runs and wishing I had a second one or a way to fetch back the used one. Over all thanks everyone

I know what my main strategy is and its basically its what you described BIGGIANTTURTLE, but my play style and 82-2 record with this deck has allowed me to comfortably run a lot of the cards you suggest removing but thanks for the input. The Bearatic line though is very interesting the double colorless cost for Igloo Hold makes it splashable in this deck.

There's no way I'm removing Mewtwo-EX. It's to easily splashable, to quickly powered up with by Oblivion Wing and or Y Cyclone, its an extra weakness to use, and has singlehandedly won every match up against Lucario-EX decks for me....No way am I taking out a card that take down an entire deck by itself and do it quickly as its the major weakness to that deck.

This turned out to be some good discussion. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I got a lot of value from SuperNova. Still making some adjustments but definately seeing some improvement. I'm nowhere close to a play record of 82-2. That is phenomenal. I will be please just to achieve an 80%-20% Win/Lose ratio.

So I've been playing around with the Beartic line and it has most certainly helped against Pyroar, Landrous-ex, almost any fire ex and type, and against some ground based decks. I've been trying to stay away from it because I simply didn't want a deck that looks like everyone elses deck but I'm strongly considering running the Garbodor line over Beartic simply because I have to invest energy into Beartic to make it useful where I can simply put a tool on Garbodor, activate Garbotoxin, and allow my pokemon with already invested energy continue to take down Pyroar, Safeguard pokemon, and anything that relies on abilities. Mainly this has come to my attention after facing 8 Genesect-ex/Virizion-ex toolbox and going 2-6 against it. Would have won most of those matches if I could have used Hypnotoxic Laser and/or shut down Genesct's Red Signal ability so my op didn't keep swapping my active at will and taking down pokemon I was trying to set up. I simply feel that Garbodor's Garbotoxin will have more versatility over Beartic's Igloo Hold.

Thanks for the help everyone.

So I've been playing around with the Beartic line and it has most certainly helped against Pyroar, Landrous-ex, almost any fire ex and type, and against some ground based decks. I've been trying to stay away from it because I simply didn't want a deck that looks like everyone elses deck but I'm strongly considering running the Garbodor line over Beartic simply because I have to invest energy into Beartic to make it useful where I can simply put a tool on Garbodor, activate Garbotoxin, and allow my pokemon with already invested energy continue to take down Pyroar, Safeguard pokemon, and anything that relies on abilities. Mainly this has come to my attention after facing 8 Genesect-ex/Virizion-ex toolbox and going 2-6 against it. Would have won most of those matches if I could have used Hypnotoxic Laser and/or shut down Genesct's Red Signal ability so my op didn't keep swapping my active at will and taking down pokemon I was trying to set up. I simply feel that Garbodor's Garbotoxin will have more versatility over Beartic's Igloo Hold.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi if this is a deck your going to play in real life you may want to adjust the deck to what is trending at the tournaments you've attended.

In topic of matchups I get alot of VirGen decks at the tournaments i attend irl, ones that run Beartic/Drifblim/Hammers to the more consistent VirGens with only basics like mewtwo/shaymin/tropius etc.

Whilst beartic is good and dominates most fire decks and faces off superbly against Landorus EX and has good bulk it doesn't improve your matchups against Fairy, Genesect. Which is fine if that isn't part of the Majority.

Well for VirGen matchups that fact that you can't utilise laser isn't the problem here but the fact with the G Booster they can one hit ko any Yveltal EX you set up.

To prevent that I would consider a Spiritomb hugely in the deck if alot of VirGen lurks. Because it forces the VirGens to two hit ko your Yveltal EX without the G Booster whilst in return you are looking at two hit ko's possibly one. And Yveltal EX often deals enough so you can get a ko with Baby Yveltal. And as long as you aren't running Garbardor too Darkrai EX will allow you to retreat, attack and conserve all at once with Y cyclone or energy switch. Since Genesect and virizion can accelerate while getting a ko you should equally swith out your Yveltals to avoid ko's like that, that's why Darkrai is important.

One hardship you may deal with is if VirGen also runs their own Laser/Virbank. That way Virizion can ko the Spiritomb with muscle band and poison or just with Virbank and poison. You also may need to watch out for Megalo Canon and the 20 damage snipe on spiritomb if they dont get a ko the first time. You might want to run cards that can recover Spiritomb back like sacred ash or even a Max/Super potion. Also with Laserbank/Muscle band deal 150 and then sniping 20 damage Genesect EX can potentially get four prizes with two attack.

For Garbardor with Yveltal, you can still run Spiritomb, as long as you get spiritomb before they get G booster and leave a Garbordor in bench without a tool you are good to go also using Darkrai to keep as many energy in play and accelerate. And once you get your first two prize and have atleast two Yveltal EX that can potentially one shot the Genesects with LaserBank (so minimum has one energy attached )you can activate Garbardor. It all sounds easy but alot of things can go out of hand due to the order of your draws... , Genesect having red signal...but as long as spiritomb is in play it really is effective. Whatever the game, the whole battle will take different ways so everything I'm saying may/may not happen at all. This is all from my experience and observations of what could have happened.

Anyways Garbardor is the most common partner with Yveltal EX as it quite simply is a more all around, as Garbardor itself challenges deck based about abilities: Pyroar, Fairy + Slurpluff/Virizion EX, Safeguard. And LaserBank for those decks that don't have a direct way to deal with it. Evolution decks suffer alot from LaserBank too.

Sorry this quite long, just had alot to say. :D

Deck has been updated for the first posting. At supernova, this is my PCTGO deck so its built to handle just about anything as I never know what I'll be facing but the more I win the more and more I keep getting paired against Pyroar and VirGen decks. Garbodor has been an all-star with that Garbotoxin ability. Just needs a few more tweaks to the trainer line up for more consistancy of getting what I need when I need it and I think I'm good to go.

Well the updates on the trainers was simply trying to find the best count of cards that fit my style of play so far....I do like Juniper for the discarding the Darkness Energy for Yveltal (oblivion wing) to get the extra energy placement on Yveltal-EX but, I find myself discarding cards I need or want latter while looking for other cards to help the current situation in so I replaced Juniper with Shauna so I don't have to discard the cards I want to keep for latter in the game.

Dedenne serves two purposes: 1 its Entrainment attack early in the game helps me set up the bench without having to use a trainer slot for Pokemon Fan Club, 2 its Energy Short attack is amazing tech against other Yveltal decks and anything week to lightning like Lugia-EX....with a muscle band and the defending Yveltal-EX haveing 3 or 4 energy attached to it, Dedenne can 1 shot it for 200 damage, same applies to Lugia and other Pokemon week to lightning. Sometimes a Virbank/Laser combo is needed to assist Dedenne but I'm fine doing that for a 1 energy OHKO.

Jerachi simply searches out the Supporter I need at the time, mostly looking for Lysandre.

The rest of the deck runs its strategy similar to just about all other Yveltal decks, using both Yveltals as the attackers, occasionally using Darkrai as an attacker and Garbodor's Garbotoxin ability to shut down all ability based decks. This strategy will change a little when I get Malmar-EX for its Powerful Hypnosis ability to constantly keep the opponents active pokemon asleep while beating it down with poison and attack damage.

And yes its very strong.....most PTCGO match up the game will give me the advantage symbol for most match ups. Sesmitoad is one of the few the game gives the advantage to for its Item lock down but Yveltal (oblivion wing) battles really well against Sesmitoad, trading 50 damage attacks (with muscle bands, 30 without) while building up the heavy hitters, saving them to do the clean up. By taking out Mewtwo-EX Lucrio/Landorous decks have become a little harder to battle against but you can still beat them if you use a similar battle strategy as the one used to combat Sesimtoad....mainly both these decks tend to be the most troublesome because of their low energy cost attacks which keeps Yveltal's Evil Ball attack at lower damage and a little harder to score that OHKO.

Thanks. I know this is hard to answer but how do you typically start out a match? Do you prefer to get dedenne out first? or do you like to pull out yveltal (obilivon wing) to stack up the energies?

I've been toying around with the deck and it doesn't seem quite as successful as you've been and I'm sure I'm not playing it right (I am missing a few cards).

It is a hard question to answer. Really each game starts a little differently. Depending on what your starting hand is, you might start with Yveltal-EX as the starting active or Yveltal (oblivion wing). Those 2 are the most consistent. But I've had games where Dedenne was the starting active, Darkrai as starting active and even Trubish has been a starting active based the what I have in had at the start. If I have a hand with multiple pokemon and both Yveltal-EX and Yveltal (oblivion wing) are in the starting hand then I'll start with Yveltal (oblivion wing) and bench Yveltal-EX during the set up. This is the most optimal start as you can get quick damage in with Yveltal (ow) and accelerate Yveltal-EX.

Dedenne is a good starter as well to quickly set up your bench but I prefer to keep it as an ace-in-the-hole card for it Energy Short attack to get that quick OHKO that the opponent wasn't expecting.

Not sure how you've been running the deck but here is a good tip for you and maybe you already know this. Yveltal-EX's Evil Ball attack adds up damage quickly with you're opponent helping the cause just by trying to attack back. The best way I go about using that attack is 1 Darkness Energy (which is needed for the attack) and 1 Double Colorless with a Muscle Band. This provides 100 damage before considering what the opponents pokemon has for energy attached to it. Adding Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym help get that damage up to 130 with a possible sleeping pokemon and that's not including the energy of the defending pokemon. I try not to have any more than 3 energy at all times so I don't take a OHKO from an attack like Evil Ball, X Ball or Energy Short. If I ever place more than 3 energy it is done to ensure an OHKO but then on the next turn if Yveltal-EX is still active, I Y Cyclone either a Darkness or Double Colorless to a benched pokemon and usually another benched Yveltal-EX. You need to make the most of both attacks and if you know that Yveltal-EX will get KO'd on the next turn then Y Cyclone one of your energy to preserve what you have and if you can make Yveltal (ow) your new active and retrieve as many energy as possible and add Muscle Band to this Yveltal to get a nice 50 damage 1 energy cost attack in as well.

Finally I'm sure you know this but, if you're facing a deck with lots of Abilities you'll need to quickly get Garbodor out and activate its Garbotoxin to shut down the abilities. You'll lose almost every time against Pyroar and Virizion/Genesect if you don't shut off those abilities. Also when using the Ultra Ball to search out pokemon make sure to try to combo it with Professor's Letter to discard at least 1 energy and 2 energy if you can spare them to get the most out of Yveltal (ow). But don't get careless with the discarding or you'll run out of energy before you make the most of them.

That's pretty much have I have for you. These are good questions and keep them coming. Glad to help out in any way I can. Hope this helps.

Latest Update.

Dropped Jurachi-ex for Mew-ex and condensed the trainers to more copies of the ones being used to increase consistency. I dropped Jurachi simply for these reasons: usually when I get it into my hand or have an Ultra Ball to get it, I already have Garbotoxin activated and Jurachi ends up being a dead card in my hand, also once used its way to easy to have it Lysandre into active for a free OHKO and lastly once I've managed to use its ability to search for a supporter it just ends up holding a spot on the bench doing nothing else.

Had been playing around with the idea of Mew-EX in this deck for a little while and it has earned its spot for this main reason, its Versatile Ability can turn my dark type attacks into Physic type attacks and is a great way to combat DCE spamming attacks like Sesimetoad and Mewtwo because Mew can use those same attacks for a DCE or even 2 Darkness energy. Just to list a few examples to show how 1 energy dealt BIG DAMAGE with Mew. 1st attack with Mew after placing 1 Darkness energy, a Muscle Band, and using the Virbank/Laser combo against Mewtwo-EX ends up being Yveltal's Oblivion Wing and when turned Physic it dealt a massive 100 damage + 30 from the Virbank/Laser combo and placed 1 Darkness energy onto Yveltal-EX, all this for 1 energy. Exact same thing happened when Mew-EX faced off against Lucario-EX. When Mew-EX faced Sesimetoad, again Mew's 1st attack was Oblivion Wing for 50 + 30 more from the Virbank/Laser combo, Mew easily survives Sesimetoads attack and returns its next attack as a Physic Type Evil Ball, KOing Sesimetoad. Another match against Mewtwo-EX, Mew uses Dedenne's Energy Short attack for 1 energy and a muscle band to OHKO Mewtwo for 200 damage.

Simply put, having Mew-EX is like having another copy of all your available attackers and rolling them all into 1 attacker. Mew might not be able to stay in the fight very long with its low 110 hp but it makes up for it by letting you have the right attack at the right time.

The addition of Mew really has worked well. I've found the deck does indeed work better. What about switching a yveltal EX for a mewtwo EX?

no need for Mewtwo really, Yveltal EX hits harder than Mewtwo by 20 and still by 20 if both have a muscle band. Also the GREAT thing about Mew is that it can use Yveltal EX's Evil Ball attack and with D,DCE,Muscle Band, Mew can OHKO Mewtwo without considering what Mewtwo has for energy invested in it. Also if Mewtwo has energy invested in it then Mew won't need the DCE and can use 2 D instead with a Muscle Band or Virbank/Laser combo. This is also true when facing Lucario EX and anything else week to Physic Types. And don't forget in the early game when Mew uses Yveltal's Oblivion Wing with a Muscle Band against something week to it, it hits for 100 damage with 1 energy invested and gets that second energy placement from the Oblivion Wing effect. Plus the deck is really all about Yveltal EX so it really should be the focus of the attacks and with 2 or more Yveltal EX in place its real easy to have 1 powered up, hit really hard, and then next turn Y Clone an energy to a benched Yveltal EX and repeat.

I've been playing around with Raichu 2-2 line over Beartic and Garbodor and this has been working out really well and here's why... Garbodor is great for locking down abilities but it requires a Tool to use and in this current format I'm finding it harder and harder to maintain a Tool on Garbodor with most decks running 1-2 Startling Megaphone. Also with Garbodor in the deck it can't attack and with its 100 HP and 3 Retreat Cost its a relatively easy OHKO and its attack is costly for the low damage so it can't really attack. Beartic has a better 130 HP and can attack with its Igloo Hold but this is an attack that has its damage directly influenced by the retreat cost of the defending Pokemon. Yes it can OHKO Landorous and Pyroar, but outside that it doesn't get much damage in against anything else and its retreat cost is really high which can be off set with a Float Stone if you can keep one on it. Now Raichu, it has only 90 HP so really easy OHKO but, it has 0 retreat cost and its Short Circuit cost 2 Colorless to use making this a usable attack by Raichu and by Mew (yes Mew can use Igloo Hold as well). This attacks damage isn't influenced by the opponents defending Pokemon, this damage is influenced and controlled by you the player of Raichu, the more Benched Pokemon you're able to get into play the higher the damage up to 100 (120 muscle band). And even if you KO a defending Pokemon the damage of Short Circuit is still going to be 100 (120) as long as you maintain the bench. This is big. Its an OHKO against Yveltal-EX, Yveltal and anything week to Lightning types. And on top of everything else with this BIG damage for little energy, you have another non-EX attacker to use to soften up the defending Pokemon without exposing your heavy hitters until you need them. If we go back to Mew for a second, for 2 energy and a Muscle Band, Mew has a 120 Physic type Short Circuit attack with all the same benefits as Raichu but now for Physic so playing against Lucario and Mewtwo this is an OHKO without needing a lot of energy investment or relaying on the opponent to invest energy into their Pokemon. Now looking at both Raichu and Mew this 100 (120) consistent damage is amplified 1 more time with the Virbank/Laser combo to a staggering 150 damage for just 2 energy, an easy OHKO of 150 HP or less and an OHKO against 180 HP or less if that defending pokemon stays into fight while poisoned. Raichu for the win.

Archived