Just a quick rules question

Linnell

Ok I might be confusing some rules between Yu-gi-oh, Pokemon, and Magic the Gathering as I play all 3 and am fairly good at them. So my question is this:

In the other 2 card games there is a rule that is "if you can not complete the full effect of a card or pay its cost, such as discarding a card(s), removing things from the game or field, ect., then you can't play the card." So do Pokemon have such a rule and the reason I ask is this senario I was just in with my YveltalEX/DarkraiEX vs XernasEX/MewtwoEX Fairy deck. My op Aromatisse, XernasEX, Xernas (regular), KangaskhanEX on the bench, Fairy Garden Stadium in play, and MewtwoEX as the active Pokemon. I had YveltalEX active, DarkraiEX benched and MewtwoEX benched, the rest doesn't really matter.

Now the play: every time I dealt a mass amount of damage to his MewtwoEX or any of the active Pokemon at the time but wasn't enough to KO it without setting him up to KO me back, he would use Aromatisses ability to switch as many Fairy Energy from the active to one of the benched, then use Max Potion (heal all damage from 1 of your pokemon and then discard all energy attached to it), then put all the energy back on to the active to either switch with a benched with Fairy Garden or power back up the active and attack and then repeat the Max Potion and recycle it making it impossible to KO anything and there was no down side to this because he never had to discard his energy for Max Potion, just simply switch from one to the other and then back.

How is that Legal and a rule that's allowed to be so abused that you can't KO anything that keeps using Max Potion with no "cost" or "down side?"

The energy discard for Max Potion is not a cost of using Max Potion, it is a consequence of using it. If you use it on a Pokemon that has no energy there is nothing to discard, so the play is perfectly legal. Combinations of cards to achieve results like you just described have been common in Pokemon since the early days. There are counters to most of them, and in fact if you were playing a deck that shut down powers or restricted the use of Trainers by your opponent it would have shut down the deck you were battling.

BDS

This techniques have been around for a while. I used it with the Hydreigon that moved energy.

So limits. 1) Must have the Max Potion in hand to use 2) You can only have 4 Max Potions in deck 3) Need go after the pokemon that moves the energy. 4) Garbado stops the ability.

yeah, I thought I was mixing up some rules between the games. Should have pulled my Trevenant out to stop the use of Items by my OP and pulled the Shadow Circle or Verbank City Gym to to out the Fairy Garden and stop the free retreat. That's my bad, was to lost in my thought of the rules and confused them.

Thanks guys

Archived