Mienshao won the match, but...

Stratadrake

The latest patches have brought some useful measures to expedite end-of-game (victory or defeat) detection. For example, if you KO your opponent's Pokemon and they have no Benched Pokemon to send in after it, you're not prompted to pick a Prize Card; or if you've just won your last Prize Card, the game picks it automatically instead of waiting for you to do it manually.

Here's a new one: while playing the Dark Hammer theme deck, I had two Mienfoo available so I had them alternate turns evolving into Mienshao and using Aero Turn (40 damage, Pokemon returns to hand). Then this curious sequence of events happens:

- (at this point I only have one Prize Card remaining)

- Mienshao used Aero Turn (40 damage, KO, cards return to hand)

- Last Prize Card is claimed automatically

- Game prompts me to send in a new Active Pokemon

- Game declares me victor of the match

There's no need to ask me for my next Active Pokemon when I've already won the match (via Prize Cards). Probably the only reason it even happened is because it happened mid-attack.

but what would happend if u didnt got any bench pokemon, will it declare TIE ? cus with no pokemon on field ur opponent wins, maybe that is why u need to pick new active, but maybe i am wrong.

but what would happend if u didnt got any bench pokemon, will it declare TIE ? cus with no pokemon on field ur opponent wins, maybe that is why u need to pick new active, but maybe i am wrong.

I don't know if that'd actually happen but it would make sense if it did seeing as a player *needs* an active Pokémon. If there's no active Pokémon you lose.

I've started wondering that myself, but it is a separate question -- do moves like Aero Turn (or cards like Bill) work if you only have one Active Pokemon and nothing Benched?

Hello Stratadrake!

This is intended, as being unable to select a new Active Pokémon (i.e. there are no Pokémon left on your bench) could cause a Sudden Death situation if the same number of win conditions are met by both players.

From the Pokémon TCG Rulebook for XY:

WHAT IF BOTH PLAYERS WIN AT THE SAME TIME?

You win if you take your last Prize card or if your opponent has no Benched Pokémon to replace his or her Active Pokémon if it is Knocked Out (or otherwise removed from play). This makes it possible for both players to win at the same time.

If this happens, play Sudden Death. However, if you win in both ways and your opponent wins in only one way, you are the victor!

WHAT’S SUDDEN DEATH?

In Sudden Death, you play a new game, but each player uses only 1 Prize card instead of the usual 6. Except for the single Prize card, treat the Sudden Death game like a whole new game! Flip a coin to see who goes first and set everything up as usual. The winner of this game is the overall winner. If the Sudden Death game also ends in Sudden Death, just keep playing Sudden Death games until somebody wins.

As this isn't a bug, I'll be closing this thread. I hope this was helpful! :)

Archived