profanity filter

TheInterceptor

Can there be an option to put of the profanity filter?

It really disrupts the game and blocks common words like: [Content removed]

EDIT: even here i can't write [Content removed] normally. I don't see a reason to blck it as it is an already known site by almost everybody???

Hello THEINTERCEPTOR!

There is a good reason words like that are blocked! Our TOS states that posting information that may direct trainers towards non-official Pokémon sites is prohibited. This is for the safety of our players. Please keep in mind that attempts to circumvent the chat filter is also prohibited. Thank you for understanding!

There was a similar topic on this matter a short distance down.

To me, this site has some of the most aggressive wordcensors I've seen, and some of them really leave me scratching my head thinking "why/how on earth would they decide to filter THAT?" (I actually filed a ticket on two false positives I've run into personally, and got a fairly stock response that the issue was received/acknowledged.)

I mean, I know the system exists for a good reason, but the forum software should have some way for admins to review how well the system is actually performing. E.g., in a perfect world a profanity filter should keep its own internal log of exactly what got censored in what post/context, so the admins can audit the list occasionally and find ways to fix it if a specific filter here and there is actually doing more harm to discussion than good. (Speaking of which ... I actually had to rephrase this paragraph because the initial version involved a phrase that's apparently on the censorlist. I have no idea why it should even be on the list at all, but I am sure the admins do.)

The word filter is a joke. An unfunny joke at that.

Profanity filters are meant to do just that: Filter profanity. To make it filter anything else is, IMHO, not what the system is meant to do in the first place. Granted, we're not exactly talking about the Great Firewall Of China here, but I can think of two areas that could use some kind of improvement:

1 - Filtering external links. I do not mind that you're not allowed to post external links, but I would like it if they were replaced by something like "[external link removed]" instead of asterisks, to make it clear that it's not because of any profanity.

2 - Filtering of specific (non profanity) words and phrases. We obviously don't know how they configured the forum software to run internally, but it's always possible that if a post got words/phrases filtered out of it, the forums may internally flag the thread for a moderator to go review it. If so, it would explain why certain words and phrases get filtered out when there's no obvious reason to -- e.g. a phrase like but the admins is not profanity to be filtered out (by any stretch of the term), but it might indicate you have a complaining thread going on, which will need prompt moderator attention all the same.

Archived