Sign in to follow this  
DesDaddy

Where is the "Expanded" tab in Versus?

DesDaddy

Where is the "Expanded" tab in Versus? I see Standard and Unlimited (and Theme) still, but no Expanded. In real life we are using Expanded format on 2nd day at official tournaments, why does PTCGO not emulate it? Or, is that coming in a couple days in an update/patch? Can a Prof/mod please respond why Expanded format has not been implemented on PTCGO yet?

It seems very strange that it's happening in real life but not on the official online game. It's kind of like if Furious Fists (or Phantom Forces) gets officially implemented in real life on a certain date, but it doesn't get implemented on PTCGO at the same time, that would just be very odd. So, this is very odd that Expanded isn't on here yet when it's official in real life, hence my inquiry.

Thanks very much,

DesDaddy

I posted something similar in PvP discussion, but it related to Deck Manager as well so I tweaked it for here, thanks:

Where is the "Expanded" tab in Deck Manager? I see Standard and Unlimited still, but no Expanded. In real life we are using Expanded format on 2nd day at official tournaments, why does PTCGO not emulate it? Or, is that coming in a couple days in an update/patch? Can a Prof/mod please respond why Expanded format has not been implemented on PTCGO yet?

It seems very strange that it's happening in real life but not on the official online game. It's kind of like if Furious Fists (or Phantom Forces) gets officially implemented in real life on a certain date, but it doesn't get implemented on PTCGO at the same time, that would just be very odd. So, this is very odd that Expanded isn't on here yet for deck building, when it's official in real life, hence my inquiry. It would be great, especially for newer players, to be able to build decks that are "Expanded".

Thanks very much,

Mod_Poplar

Hi DesDaddy!

I've merged your posts and moved them to the appropriate subforum. Prof. Mathis addressed this a while ago in another thread:

The Standard format rotation will be implemented in the online game at approximately the same time that it becomes effective in the physical game. We will be supporting the Expanded format in the online game, though it won't be until later this year.

So, in the meantime, we appreciate your patience and hope you're as excited as we are for the upcoming addition! :)

DesDaddy
Hi DesDaddy!

I've merged your posts and moved them to the appropriate subforum. Prof. Mathis addressed this a while ago in another thread:

So, in the meantime, we appreciate your patience and hope you're as excited as we are for the upcoming addition! :)

Thanks Pops,

I'm sorry I missed that part from Mathis before. That is disappointing that it won't be until later this year (and not now, the same time as it is in the physical game), hopefully sooner rather than later, but thank you very much for your response and answer to my inquiry. Although, could you possibly be a bit more helpful and narrow down what "later this year" means? Surely you (plural - mods/profs) have a timeline or calender or deadlines (road map, etc., whatever it's called) for updates/patches/these kind of things. Could you let us know even what month Expanded is scheduled to be implemented? If it's not too much to ask..

Or do you really not know, and it's not even scheduled yet on your PTCGO workplan? (besides the vague "later this year").

Thanks again, from a big fan,

xGaMbL3x777

First off it's "Extended" format not Expanded. Second.. you can just play unlimited if you are wanting to use older format cards. Most of the time you wont run into super old stuff using unlimited. So it can fill the void until Extended becomes a thing online.

Chroniton

Unlimited is full of loads of random old stuff, it's not even close to Extended format.

I'd much rather have seen all of the other stuff from the last update held back in place of providing us with Extended format play, I'm sure most people that play the physical game like myself get enough testing in Standard format but the variety of decks for Extended format is so large that it's really difficult to test them all and PTCGO would have been ideal for this.

DesDaddy
First off it's "Extended" format not Expanded. Second.. you can just play unlimited if you are wanting to use older format cards. Most of the time you wont run into super old stuff using unlimited. So it can fill the void until Extended becomes a thing online.

Hi, thanks for posting on my thread :), however it is actually called "Expanded" format. Please see this official article from pokemon.com (if the filters don't block it) about it:

[****************************************************************************************]

Hopefully that helps you out. I think you may have missed the intent/objective/scope of my thread here, but that's ok. Thanks for trying to help, but I am quite familiar with the Unlimited function on PvP here. However as I mentioned, the purpose of this thread is inquiry regarding implementation of the Expanded format for deck building and battling on PTCGO, as to emulate the actual real life physical game. I was being courteous for the general Pokemon community by making this thread as I'm sure there are others curious about the implementation of the Expanded format on PTCGO, so this was an attempt to get some clairvoyance on this matter. Thanks again though for trying to help, all the best :)

Unlimited is full of loads of random old stuff, it's not even close to Extended format.

I'd much rather have seen all of the other stuff from the last update held back in place of providing us with Extended format play, I'm sure most people that play the physical game like myself get enough testing in Standard format but the variety of decks for Extended format is so large that it's really difficult to test them all and PTCGO would have been ideal for this.

Yes, it would have been nice to have Expanded format on PTCGO at the same time as it was released in the real life physical Pokemon trading card game. They have done that with sets (Furious Fists, XY, etc.), but I'm not sure why PTCGO didn't do that with the new Expanded format as it is a pretty big deal (as evidenced by it being used on day 2 of tournaments). I totally agree about the testing, and I hope it happens sooner on here rather than later, as I'm sure the Pokemon community would love to get going with Expanded play online, for several reasons. Thanks for your post! All the best. :)

PS, It's going to be lots of fun on Expanded I feel, and some new deck creations using new cards and some oldie but goldie's battling it out! :) Can't wait for it to get here! Btw Prof Poplar, did you happen to have an answer yet for my inquiry in Post #4? Thanks!

Otakutron
xGaMbL3x777 said:

Wrong TCG; that would be [Content removed - please keep all discussion on the topic of Pokémon. -Prof. Poplar]. For Pokémon the official announcements refer to it as "Expanded", likely a way of giving it a similar sounding name and yet be different, since you never know when something will attract even a nuisance lawsuit. If that sounds frivolous, it might be... and yet [Edited by Mod_Tutle: Discussion of topics other than Pokémon is not permitted on the forum].

Unlimited isn't Expanded; it doesn't matter if the majority of what you run into is identical to Expanded; one card different can zero out both the fun and the testing factor.

The reason why it comes across as a "big" deal is this is my primary method of enjoying the Pokémon TCG. While I recognize that the PTCGO "metagame" is quite different from what I would expect any local (or national or even the world) metagame to be... it is far better than mere guesswork. :)

• Downvote 1

mathismax

Dear Dev team,

Currently the official tournaments start to adopt the new exciting expanded format. However I notice that it is not available online yet. So when we try to test our deck in the expanded format we have to go to unlimited to compete against many disturbing old cards. Shouldn't we introduce the expanded format also into the online game?

Thanks!

Mod_Jube

Hey mathismax,

Thanks for your suggestion! I've passed it along to the development team for review.

Thanks!

DarkSlayertypeZ

I was thinking the same thing, I'm pretty sure anyone who plays in real life would really enjoy this feature. Plus not everybody wants to play with a bunch of Extremely Old/Broken Decks.

DesDaddy
Hey mathismax,

Thanks for your suggestion! I've passed it along to the development team for review.

Thanks!

Prof Jube et al,

I made a thread about this weeks ago and Prof Poplar responded about it, if you want to check it out: [***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************]

Edit: Ugh, the filters...even for official Pokemon.com links that somehow is ok for the mods to do but we can't...another hypocrisy :(. Oh well. Anyways, the thread is called "Where is the "Expanded" tab in Versus?" and it's in here (Feedback & Suggestions) on was made on Sept 3 if that helps. Actually, to help further I just posted on that thread to Prof Jube/MathisMax in order for you guys to find it easier, if you want, it should be right above this thread now in Feedback & Suggestions, at the top at the moment. Again, just trying to help. as I'm also curious about this (as evidenced), thanks,

I'm still waiting for Poplar's follow up reply...(because the profs/mods really should know...especially what's in their Work Plan and timeline for each update, etc.).

Regards,

DesDaddy

Prof Jube, MathisMax, etc.,

Here is that thread I was talking about where Prof Poplar (well, Prof Mathis via Prof Poplar) "addresses" this in his first reply to me. Still waiting for the follow up from Poplar, lol.

Just trying to help, Regards,

Mod_Jube

Hi DesDaddy,

FYI, I can't post links, and am subject to all of the same filters that you are. Going to go check out your thread!

Thanks!

Mod_Jube

Hey Des,

Regarding your inquiry about how soon is "later this year"...

We do not have an exact date at this time. However, since the year is quickly winding down, I would guess that it will be soon! :)

DesDaddy
Hi DesDaddy,

FYI, I can't post links, and am subject to all of the same filters that you are. Going to go check out your thread!

Thanks!

Really?! Wow, I believe you, I just was almost sure I've seen profs do that, unless it was profs with more administrative abilities? (maybe Mathis?). If I had time I would go look on here where I've (thought I've) seen profs post links (official Pokemon ones of course ;) ). Apologies.

Hey Des,

Regarding your inquiry about how soon is "later this year"...

We do not have an exact date at this time. However, since the year is quickly winding down, I would guess that it will be soon! :)

"Thanks" Jube, yeah, I had kind of figured that one out..:P, but thank you though anyways for being courteous. I'm sure we're all looking forward to its implementation, I was just hoping the profs actually knew when it was planned for, but I see that it is still unknown (even though I'm sure it's a priority..). So, there must not be a "Work Plan" or milestone scheduled timeline or anything of that nature behind the PTCGO curtain.

So it seems maybe it's just a couple weeks or less before each update the profs must decide what's happening with each update? Since they don't know more than a month ahead of time what they will do (I don't mean that in a callous way as it could be read that way), but based on the profs answers they really don't know when Expanded is going to be implemented. Because if the profs knew in the next month or so that Expanded would be implemented, they would have said (like they do in their news updates), but they said they didn't know when it was coming (just "later this year"), so therefore it must be later than a month from now or the profs don't have any foresight/work plan/short term plan for each monthly update scheduled out, if that makes sense.

Thanks again, and good luck getting things organized/planned out, etc. All the best,

Sign in to follow this