evolution on first turn

TheInterceptor

why does the ability of the new eevee work on first turn? the rules ofthegame are below, and the ability worksagainst it, or is this a common bug????

Evolution notes: Neither player can evolve a Pokémon on its first turn in play. When you evolve a Pokémon, it means that

Pokémon is new in play, so you can’t evolve it a second time the same turn! You can evolve either your Active or Benched

Pokémon. Finally, neither player can evolve a Pokémon on his or her first turn!

Maskullz nails it: The general rule is that a Pokemon cannot evolve on its first turn of play (including the first turn of the game), but specific cards like Adaptive Evolution Caterpie line, Ascension Zorua/etc., Bad-Influence Pancham, Energy Evolution Eevee (and so on) do exempt a Pokemon from the general rule and allow it to evolve on its first turn, provided the conditions on the card are met. So this question is a case of Rule Zero (aka The Card Text Is Always Right).

(Sidenote: Ascension Zorua and Bad-Influence Pancham still can't evolve on the first turn of the game, because Ascension and Bad-Influence Evolution are attacks, and whomever goes first can't attack during their first turn.)

why does the ability of the new eevee work on first turn? the rules ofthegame are below, and the ability worksagainst it, or is this a common bug????

Evolution notes: Neither player can evolve a Pokémon on its first turn in play. When you evolve a Pokémon, it means that

Pokémon is new in play, so you can’t evolve it a second time the same turn! You can evolve either your Active or Benched

Pokémon. Finally, neither player can evolve a Pokémon on his or her first turn!

Its like in all card games, you cant do nothing against the rules except if a card say to do so, you cant play more than 1 energy per turn , but with abilities like Deluge from blastoise you can , this is the same (atleast for me)

I believe it's a bug.

As Stratadrake mentioned and according to the rule book (XY edition, page 11 in the PDF, letter B), in the notes box, it states (bolded for emphasis)

Evolution notes:Neither player can evolve a Pokémon on its first turn in play. When you evolve a Pokémon, it means that Pokémon is new in play, so you can’t evolve it a second time the same turn! You can evolve either your Active or Benched Pokémon. Finally, neither player can evolve a Pokémon on his or her first turn!

As Eevee can evolve right away you add the energy on the first play AS WELL AS on the first turn (I checked), I say it's a definite bug... especially since the ability says it counts as an evolution, meaning it needs to be treated as if you were playing from the hand.

As for "Adoptive Evolution" Caterpie & Metapod, they are the exceptions as their power states they can evolve on the first play & turn.

The rulebook can be found on the Pokemon website.

---

Of course, the exception to this could be if the rule book was revised to state that this evolution rule is only for those with the evolution card being played from the players hand. This would make it clear that evolution via abilities/cards is acceptable and would avoid this headache :P

As Eevee can evolve right away you add the energy on the first play AS WELL AS on the first turn (I checked), I say it's a definite bug... especially since the ability says it counts as an evolution, meaning it needs to be treated as if you were playing from the hand.

But it's not a bug. It clearly states in the ability's description that when you attach an energy to Eevee you can search your deck for the same type of evolution as the energy you just attached and can evolve Eevee.

Scenario:

I'm in a match, I draw 7 cards, I place Eevee down as my active Pokémon. I have a Leafeon in my hand as well. Now, I can't use this Leafeon because the general evolution rule applies; I'm not allowed to evolve it. However, due to Eevee's ability that allows me to search for one of it's evolutions and evolve it, the general rule is doesn't apply. This is what's known as bending the rule as I'm using an ability.

Hello trainers!

This is not a bug and is working as intended. As such, I'll be closing this thread. Thanks for your great explanations and your understanding!

Archived