New Hydreigon replace dark patch

ciri_car

just saw this Hydreigon card from phantom set.

Hydreigon - Dragon - HP140

Stage 2 - Evolves from Zweilous

Ability: Dark Advocacy

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may choose 1 [D] Energy from your discard

pile and attach it to your Active Pokemon.

what u think can yveltal still be strong with this instead of dark patch

I know many decks will use this Hydreigon as a replacement for dark patch, may be a little slow in the beginning to get it set-up and to start the dark acceleration it once had. It may have to give up some slots b/c most yveltal variant decks has 4 patch and having perhaps 2-1-2 or more depending how many slots the trainer wants so it can get going you know ? At least this is just my thoughts on it. :)

Seismetoad is way too powerful for evolution decks so it will be difficult running rare candies etc, and needeless to say just like on any decks relying on ability if they secure the Garbardor lock your looking at almost a complete shut down. Darn that Toad :/

But since Hydreigon is an evo i can see it giving Yveltal Decks a mid-solid late game when it gets set up, and may need to run Pokemon Center lady to help Yveltal EX battle against Laser damage from wearing it out when facing Toad. Yveltal EX will atleast always look at a two hit KO and if you manage to sneak in a laser before the Item lock whilst the seismetoad couldnt switch out, even better.

feel like its easier to just use baby yveltal

Although they have similar effects, I don't think Hydreigon can be compared to baby Yveltal. Yveltal's attack can only attach to benched pokemon, while Hydreigon can only attach to the active. Hydreigon's ability is essentially a rebranding of Eelektrik's Dynamotor, which was one of the strongest abilities back in it's day.

As for the Seismitoad, it's going to give you a headache regardless of what deck you're playing so I don't think that's a valid criticism of the deck.

What happens if you use both?

I think people will have the best luck playing both of them. Yveltal would be your early game acceleration, and Hydreigon would ideally take over for it on turn 3 or 4.

I think the biggest weakness of Hydreigon (aside from item lock) is that it can only attach to the active pokemon, which limits your setup ability mid game. To circumvent this I would try playing about 3 energy switch. Another fun idea would be Hydreigon(DRX), since it will still be legal with the LT reprint. It could completely replace your energy switches, and wouldn't be to intrusive in the decklist.

Archived