probably too long list of suggestions and feedback

flassk

okay, been fiddling with this game for a couple months now, certainly no tournament genius here, but i am a long time gamer and i do notice things that are either missing, not working or could be done a lot better... so anyway, i've honestly got a list of things that this game really needs in no particular order.

1. (bit of a fail) Login screen has no visible exit button, if you get disconnected and decide you want to call it quits for the day, you have to either alt+f4 or log in and quit.

2. (Suggestion/feedback) i realize that the language filter is a necessity to keeping the game general rated for the younger people, but shouldn't there be an option to set the filter strength? the default obviously being the current level, perhaps a second one that filters out profanity only and then OFF under a parental setting. i know a LOT of kids play this game, but i'm willing to say that your existing demographic consists mostly of people between the ages of 16-35 who much like myself often get entire comments censored for words like [Content removed - attempting to bypass the filter or discuss websites other than official Pokémon sites is not permitted. -Prof. Poplar] or for some combination of letters beween spaces that often can't even be identified to figure out what we said wrong. it's actually quite frustrating to have a halfways intelligent conversation with other players of similar age when you type out 3+ sentences at a time and you get the response that you've been censored in private messages... which by the way someone has to tell you, because the sender is never informed that what they said was censored. perhaps alternatively, some little red exclamation mark popping up at the end of what you're typing warning that you've said something wrong might be in order... but i'd honestly rather see multiple parental control levels that let you choose word filter strength.

3. (Strong Suggestion) all trade related searches should allow you to sort the results by the category at the top, such as sorting by username, sorting by trade expiration, sorting by first card in offer, things like that, it would make finding the trade you want way easier. additionally, it would be great if you could filter out player names from the search OR remove results that are posted by people on your block list. there are a lot of players out there who regularly post a TON of incredibly bad trades, which means you have to sit there rolling past all their offers of a couple garbage commons for your valuable -EX's to find anybody worth even looking at. if you blocked that user and then because they were blocked, your results filtered them out, this would remove the issue and make life easier for everybody.

4.(Bug or fail?) not sure if it's a bug that using Mew-EX's ability to use your zorua's ascension attack to evolve Mew-EX into zoroark fails because Mew-EX can't find Zoroark in the deck. Traditionally this would actually be something that would make sense with Mew since one of its original trademarks was transforming into other pokemon in the rpg series not to mention there's nothing that really states on ascension that Mew-ex has to be Zorua and versatile literally lets you use any attack of a pokemon in play.

5.(Bug or fail?) for some reason private offers expire after 24 hours, but do not actually say this, the user interface implies that it's indefinite.

6.(this one's just plain old feedback) i commend the game for being very stable and very functional as far as the actual trading card game mechanics go, but the artwork makes me feel like i'm playing a full-screen [Content removed - attempting to bypass the filter or discuss websites other than official Pokémon sites is not permitted. -Prof. Poplar] game, honestly surprised that the theme was not done in something a little stronger towards the anime-theme of the game, the TCG artwork and frankly everything pokemon related in general... rather than something that reminds me of the guys from 6-teen. i would link it, but apparently image links are censored on these forums.

Strong apologies for circumnavigating the word filter, but it's relevant to the points.

TL;DR- if you can't be bothered to read, you're not fit to be commenting on this post(edit, poor choice of words.). thank you to those who might leave constructive criticism regarding what i've said, to the rest of you, keep plugging away at those wins :)

2. (Suggestion/feedback) i realize that the language filter is a necessity to keeping the game general rated for the younger people, but shouldn't there be an option to set the filter strength? the default obviously being the current level, perhaps a second one that filters out profanity only and then OFF under a parental setting. i know a LOT of kids play this game, but i'm willing to say that your existing demographic consists mostly of people between the ages of 16-35 who much like myself often get entire comments censored for words like [REMOVED] or for some combination of letters beween spaces that often can't even be identified to figure out what we said wrong. it's actually quite frustrating to have a halfways intelligent conversation with other players of similar age when you type out 3+ sentences at a time and you get the response that you've been censored in private messages... which by the way someone has to tell you, because the sender is never informed that what they said was censored. perhaps alternatively, some little red exclamation mark popping up at the end of what you're typing warning that you've said something wrong might be in order... but i'd honestly rather see multiple parental control levels that let you choose word filter strength.

Pokemon does seem to have some of the strongest automatic wordcensors I've ever personally encountered. For comparison, in the videogames X and Y you can't even name a Pokemon "Violet" because the first four letters are apparently on the French censorlist. [Content removed - discussion of websites other than official Pokémon sites is not permitted. -Prof. Poplar] beyond, say, just censoring external links in general (which the forums also do, but is not necessarily a problem)....

4.(Bug or fail?) not sure if it's a bug that using Mew-EX's ability to use your zorua's ascension attack to evolve Mew-EX into zoroark fails because Mew-EX can't find Zoroark in the deck. Traditionally this would actually be something that would make sense with Mew since one of its original trademarks was transforming into other pokemon in the rpg series not to mention there's nothing that really states on ascension that Mew-ex has to be Zorua and versatile literally lets you use any attack of a pokemon in play.

While it is true that Transform is a trademark of Mew in the videogames (and this it could be able to transform itself into a Zoroark), consider the phrasing of Ascension: "Search your deck for a card that evolves from this Pokémon". In the context of attacks, "This Pokémon" always refers to the Attacking Pokémon; so if Mew-EX is using Ascension, the attack description would logically mean "Search your deck for a card that evolves from [Mew-EX]", and nothing evolves from Mew-EX (excepting a future Mega Evolution for Mew).

It's basically the same as if you had Mew-EX borrow a Flamethrower attack: "Discard an Energy from this Pokémon" means discard an energy from Mew-EX, not the Pokemon from whom the attack originally belongs.

Pokemon does seem to have some of the strongest automatic wordcensors I've ever personally encountered. For comparison, in the videogames X and Y you can't even name a Pokemon "Violet" because the first four letters are apparently on the French censorlist. [REMOVED] beyond, say, just censoring external links in general (which the forums also do, but is not necessarily a problem)....

While it is true that Transform is a trademark of Mew in the videogames (and this it could be able to transform itself into a Zoroark), consider the phrasing of Ascension: "Search your deck for a card that evolves from this Pokémon". In the context of attacks, "This Pokémon" always refers to the Attacking Pokémon; so if Mew-EX is using Ascension, the attack description would logically mean "Search your deck for a card that evolves from [Mew-EX]", and nothing evolves from Mew-EX (excepting a future Mega Evolution for Mew).

It's basically the same as if you had Mew-EX borrow a Flamethrower attack: "Discard an Energy from this Pokémon" means discard an energy from Mew-EX, not the Pokemon from whom the attack originally belongs.

you see, that kind of clarification on how that move works in tandem with mew-ex i can understand, of course a general gloss over it lead me to believe that card was way more fun than it is. there's a lot of restriction with it that's understandably necessary :)

that said, i was unaware how strict the naming guidelines were in pokemon x/y, i've never encountered an issue with it, though i do remember hearing something about [REMOVED]. but i really do think that the language filter in the TCGO has way more potential for wiggle room than it allows for currently and that there should be language filter options where it blocks words on the user's screen that were said by others based on your settings and not just block everything like the internet in china :(

The censor is inexcusably obnoxious in this game. Conversations with people get ruined because messages keep getting completely blocked for no reason, even when talking about stuff that isn't even in the slightest offensive or whatever. While having some sort of word filter in place can help, making it too strict forces people to find ways around it. I ended up adding a friend elsewhere so we could have a conversation without it getting filtered by everything we say.

And I'm not sure what's worse, the super strict filter, or the fact that the sender doesn't see his own message getting censored in a PM. It's so annoying having to constantly inform someone that their message didn't come through. There seriously need something to be done about this filter for the older people playing this game.

Hello trainers,

This is a reminder that posting links to or otherwise discussing websites other than official Pokémon sites is not permitted. This is in order to maintain the safety and privacy of all users and to prevent unofficial content from being posted on the forums. Attempting to bypass the filter to this end or any other is not permitted either. A rule of thumb is that if a word is censored, it is likely not permitted for discussion.

You can read all forum rules by clicking the Forum Rules link at the bottom of any forum page, including this one.

Futhermore, if you believe you have come across any bugs, we ask that you post those separately in the Report a Bug subforum so we can locate and investigate them.

Otherwise, I'll submit the feedback and suggestions posted here to the Dev team for review and leave this thread open for discussion in the meantime.

As always, we appreciate your input! :)

if i may add to this, poplar, if you start the game in windowed mode, the client launches in the middle of both screens if you're using dual screens. regardless of where you drag it to, it always defaults so that the center of the client window is the right edge of the left screen and the right edge of the left screen. also i realize that one can be reprimanded for bypassing the word filter, but i have to say, it's relevant to the feedback and if it wasn't said, nobody would know what i was talking to.

I'm glad someone mentioned the horrible art, hahaha. I would personally pay some people to provide art for this game. It really needs to look like the anime. I agree with all of these but mew. Let him do it, who cares. xD

Archived