"XY Basic Decks" - Suggestions for Cards to Use + Example Lists

Aisor

Hello.

First of all, thank you for all your hard work you have put in to PTCGO. The game is becoming very polished and accessible.

My suggestion this time is about further improving the accessibility to the game for beginners by suggesting certain important Pokémon and Trainer cards to be made available through Basic decks.

I know this is already the case to a large extent and every player gets a lot of useful cards for free. Presently, a Miltank + Gallade deck that works quite well can be created if you put all good trainer cards and DCE from all basic decks into it, using nothing but free cards, which is amazing. (I went 18-1 in ranked on a new account using a Miltank Gallade deck as a test on how well the free to play approach works, and the result shows how generous you are being with allowing players to play using free cards. Thanks and good job).

However, while experimenting how far the free cards can take you, I noticed there might be a few big holes in the base card pool to cover all essentials. Particularly with the loss of Level Ball even the viability of Gallade will completely change, the deck becomes too slow and unreliable. And even if Level Ball remained available, having basically only 1 type of usable deck available from the basic cards greatly lowers the variety of beginner-level deckbuilding.

I list some essential cards and card types I believe would be great to give beginners a decent starting point without removing the incentive to invest money to get more cards.

Trainers:

- Ultra Ball is a very important consistency card, and even more important now that Level Ball is no more, so it would be awesome to have access to a full set of 4 to everyone. On top of its actual use, the card also makes certain other cards from current basic decks like Bianca and Bicycle much better.

- Evosoda is less versatile but serves the same purpose as Ultra Ball, helping deal with the loss of Level Ball and creating consistency, and is also a highly important card. Access to 1 or 2 more could make certain decks run much smoother.

- With Tool Scrapper gone and Muscle Band dominating the game, Startling Megaphone is a much needed replacement to stop Garbodor and help counterplay cards like G-Booster and Silver Mirror that can otherwise make the game impossible to win on their own.

- Rare Candy could be considered a luxury item since it's a faster alternative to stage 1 pokemon, but it's still extremely important for evolution decks. Having access to 2 could be a huge asset to make them as fast as needed, particularly if Skyla is also made available.

- Skyla would be an awesome addition for any deck, given how the card lowers luck factor of getting cards that are needed right when they are needed out of the deck. Having even 1 of them in a basic deck would be very helpful.

- With the loss of Level Ball, I think access to at least 1 more Pokemon Fan Club is very important in order to get the basics in play as soon as possible.

- With Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym doing a lot of damage to anything, counter stadiums are very important. At the moment, only Aspertia City Gym is available for free. Giving access to a couple of Training Centers or Mountain Rings would give players better chances against getting overpowered by the damage, and having a stadium card in a basic deck also gives newcomers some experience with playing that type of card. Mountain Range can also help against Landorus-EX.

- Lysandre is an important anti-lock card. I think every player should have access to 1 of them. The drawback is that it completely destroys AI opponents if you switch to something with high retreat using it, but then again, the AI isn't much of a challenge either way at the moment.

- Silver Bangle would be an important card for letting players try to compete with Pokémon-EX. I think it's fair to give at least 1 of them for free now, since it's largely outclassed by Muscle Band. It is very important to let card like Miltank 2HKO pokémon EX.

Pokemon:

- With Bouffalant gone, access to other anti-EX cards is very important. The game would be more fair if everyone had access to at least 1 Sigilyph or Suicune. Scizor is also a somewhat passable alternative, though it doesn't fulfill the role of buying time without needing energy when you power up something else on the bench. Pyroar would also be amazing, but is probably too 'premium' to have even 1 given for free.

- Something that punishes pokemon that have a massive amount of energy attached, as a counter to Keldeo-EX, Mewtwo-EX or Yveltal-EX with massive amounts of energy, is very important. Access to Leafeon, Dedenne, Meloetta and Tropius would let all players prepare against those huge threats to some extent

- Pokemon with draw power would be very useful to make decks more consistent. Access to just 1 Electrode or Delphox would be a huge help, but something non-rare like Tropius would also help out a lot

- Energy acceleration is very important to enable certain pokemon to attack at all. The strongest ones like Xerneas, Yveltal, Blastoise and Emboar are probably out of the question, but even something like Magnezone or Vanilluxe could still be a little bit helpful in deckbuilding

As an example, here's my take on some theme decks.

"XY - Basic Green"

Pokémon - 25

4x Oddish BCR1

3x Gloom BCR2

2x Bellossom BCR4

1x Leafeon PLF11

2x Eevee PLF90

3x Hoothoot PLF91

2x Noctowl PLF92

2x Tropius PLB5

3x Chespin XY12

2x Quilladin XY13

1x Chesnaught XY14

Trainers - 17

2x Rare Candy

2x Startling Megaphone

2x Switch

2x Ultra Ball

2x Battle Reporter

2x Shauna

1x Skyla

2x Training Center

2x Sparkling Robe

Energy - 18

16x Grass Energy

2x Double Colorless Energy

"XY- Basic Blue"

Pokémon - 26

4x Vanillite PLS35

3x Vanillish PLS36

2x Vanilluxe PLS37

1x Vaporeon PLF20

3x Eevee PLF89

1x Suicune PLB20

3x Froakie XY39

2x Frogadier XY40

1x Greninja XY41

4x Bunnelby XY111

2x Diggersby XY112

Trainers - 17

2x Pal Pad

2x Potion

2x Roller Skates

2x Tool Retriever

2x Hugh

1x Pokémon Fan Club

2x Tierno

2x Magnetic Storm

2x Float Stone

Energy - 17

17x Water Energy

"XY- Basic Red"

Pokémon - 26

4x Chimchar PLS15

3x Monerno PLS16

2x Infernape PLS17

1x Flareon PLF12

1x Moltres LTR22

3x Eevee LTR (RC14/RC25)

3x Fennekin XY24

2x Braixen XY25

1x Delphox XY26

4x Doduo XY98

2x Dodrio XY99

Trainers - 17

2x Energy Switch

2x Evosoda

2x Maintenance

2x Max Revive

1x Lysandre

2x N

2x Professor Sycamore

2x Mountain Ring

1x Silver Bangle

1x Muscle Band

Energy - 17

17x Fire Energy

The goal is to keep the basic decks themselves weak, with only 4 rares each, but include a handful of good cards that can be removed from the decks and used separately in a custom deck, particularly the trainers. That has been the case until now as well. However, certain absolutely vital trainers are unavailable and the Pokémon card pool is very limited and one-dimensional.

This decklists don't include all of the cards I mentioned; some of the remaining important cards could be made available through other "bonus decks" like Rallying Cry and Mental Might. And of course, these are just rough examples of what kind of cards I want included.

It doesn't lead to players getting full playsets either (except for Ultra Ball, and maybe Sycamore and N when combined with all other free decks); it just gives a little bit more to give everyone more options and the cornerstones of a decent deck - the actual good and expensive cards need to be gained by buying, playing and trading.

Hello Aisor,

I'll submit your suggestions to the Dev team for review and leave your thread open for discussion in the meantime.

As always, we appreciate your input! :)

I think in reality , TCPi uses a 4-3-2 line for the main Pokemon (aka the Starter) and then a 3-2-1 line for another Stage 2, and some other random Pokes adding up to 30, 12 trainers (4 supporters), and 18 energies :)

I think in reality , TCPi uses a 4-3-2 line for the main Pokemon (aka the Starter) and then a 3-2-1 line for another Stage 2, and some other random Pokes adding up to 30, 12 trainers (4 supporters), and 18 energies :)

They have followed that kind of a pattern so far and starters fit thematically since it's the players' first deck in TCGO. That's why I went out of my way to use fire, garass and water with the XY starters included. I was actually tempted to use Yellow instead since it has Electrode, Dedenne and Magnezone, maybe even 1 of the anti-Yveltal Raichu.

However, I felt that the XY base set starters are probably too strong to give 2 free copies of in a 4-3-2 line, whereas the theme deck starters felt too weak. This was the compromise. However, I'm not directly suggesting the lists, I'm suggesting usings lists that include more of certain types of cards in a similar manner.

I used the current basic decks as the model for the ratios, the only major change in them is how I increased the number of trainers from 15-16 to 17, added 1 non-draw supporter in each deck in addition to 4 draw supporters and added stadiums. Increasing the number of trainers a little felt reasonable to me considering my suggestions have to do with giving access to at least a couple of copis of all vital trainers to enable new players to build slightly more fun and functional decks.

I was actually tempted to use Yellow instead since it has Electrode, Dedenne and Magnezone, maybe even 1 of the anti-Yveltal Raichu.

When I created my account, I already miss the original Basic Yellow and jumped right into Black&Whote Basic Green, Red and Blue so it's be a great idea if you could give some ideas on how an X&Y Basic Yellow theme deck should consist of so that if the suggestion is great and the deck is well-balanced (so far I think your suggestions for X&Y Basic Green, Red and Blue are all great), the Dev team may decide to bring back Basic Yellow :)

When I created my account, I already miss the original Basic Yellow and jumped right into Black&Whote Basic Green, Red and Blue so it's be a great idea if you could give some ideas on how an X&Y Basic Yellow theme deck should consist of so that if the suggestion is great and the deck is well-balanced (so far I think your suggestions for X&Y Basic Green, Red and Blue are all great), the Dev team may decide to bring back Basic Yellow :)

I gave it a try. Like Red, this was pretty hard to do since I'm running out of unique trainers to use in order to make the decks also a bit less painful to play in Trainer Challenge. At least I can use the same excuse as in Red to justify worse search and draw: Mystical Flare and Magnetic Draw :P

It's modeled a bit more after basic Yellow in terms of types than any of the BW decks, so I included more colorless Pokémon (and to justify using Aspertia Gym). Only one stage 2 line this time, though, because I ran out of rare slots to use in any sensible way. I couldn't make space for a Jolteon, which isn't important but a shame because I thought it would be nice to have an eeveelution in every deck, but oh well.

"XY - Basic Yellow"

Pokémon - 26

4x Magnemite PLS43

3x Magneton PLS44

2x Magnezone PLS47

3x Voltorb PLF32

1x Electrode PLF33

3x Teddiursa PLF75

2x Ursaring PLF76

3x Pikachu XY42

1x Raichu XY43

2x Furfrou FLF87

2x Dedenne FFI34

Trainers - 17

2x Escape Rope

2x Super Potion

2x Trick Shovel

2x Ultra Ball

2x Bianca

1x Cassius

2x Colress

2x Aspertia City Gym

2x Rocky Helmet

Energy - 17

17x Lightning Energy

When its call Basic deck mostly going contain Basic Cards and limited non basic cards.

How do you define basic? Outclassed in high level ranked? Because that's exactly what I took into consideration when selecting the cards to make sure using codes remains worth it for everyone.

For example in Red, I used Infernape for multiple reasons.

1) I could have used an even more uselss Talonflame, but I decided to use Infernape because the first attack of Talonflame is even more useless in Trainer Challenge than pvp, and I avoided using too many XY-on cards in order to not affect the value of the most recent packs

2) The XY pack value reason goes also for Blaziken FFI. However, Blaziken is way stronger than Infernape, which is another reason to not include it for me.

3) Infernape is way too slow to ever use in a deck without Flashfire support, which is not available in any of the basic decks. And even with it, it's still too weak to compete.

4) I could use Charizard, but that's a valuable collector card to put in a basic deck.

5) The starter deck Delphox is even weaker than the current BCR Basic Red Emboar.

What would you use then, instead? Because that's all fire stage 2 cards available in BCR-on aside from ability energy accelerators like Chandelure and Emboar, which is as far from basic cards as you can get.

Most of the good cards included are uncommons. Out of the rares, Suicune, Electrode, Leafeon, Delphox and Raichu are the only ones that really have any chance of being used in top tier decks, and I only gave 1 of each. And even if you had more, you can't make a deck out of those alone. They are cards that fill holes in decks you make, they enable the use of various different decks - including ones with so called "basic cards".

As for the trainers, they are essentials, you can't be in control of a deck without them. And still, I only gave 2 instead of full playsets, except for Ultra Ball, which is justifiable by loss of Level Ball - before they gave 2 Ultra Balls 2 Level Balls, and with only 1 ball in format, they should give 4 of it.

This is one great suggestion for a well-balanced X&Y Basic Yellow theme deck. I agree that I'd love to see Jolteon in this deck as well to make it relevant to the other three, but this is already great, especially when you includes 3 Pikachu (Pikachu is my all-time favorite Pokemon)

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope that the Dev team would consider your suggestions :)

Archived