A Problem with Pokerus

SpiralBreeze

I have not played my game in a while because of school, so when I got back on ( Y version), I used Poké Bank to transport some Monsters from my White 2 game. I had a Ditto with Pokerus on there. So here is the deal. I used my faithful little Ditto to give 6 Pokémon the virus, and that was three days ago. Every day when I relaunch my game, mysteriously the Pokémon are no long infected with the virus, after saving multiple times. I tried putting them back in the boxes, leaving them out, all sorts of things.

I figured that like in Black and White, there would a pink smilie face after a couple of days to indicate they had it. But nothing. The same Pokémon just keeps getting Pokérus.

Could this possibly be some sort of glitch? Does the pink smilie icon no longer exist? What could be going on here?

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, and I tried searching the inter webs, but alas, all I find is explanations of how it works, not how it acts in Gen 6.

Thanks fellow Trainers!

In Generation V the "Smiley Face" indicates that the Pokémon is cured from the virus, so it could be the same with Generation VI. I did read somewhere that Pokérus has changed in Generation VI (both the effects and the cure) so I cannot really remember.

Huh. I saw this discussed elsewhere on the interwebz, with evidence showing reasonably clearly that this is not a glitch, nor is it ordinary.

As it turns out, there are supposed to be several different Pokérus "strains", to borrow the terminology of actual viruses. For most of them, the difference is how long they stay contagious. However, one strain disappears entirely after its allotted period of time, without leaving the smiley face mark on the stat screen.

But this strain cannot be generated legally. Pokémon with this strain, however, are found via trading with players (especially random players, through things like the GTS and Wonder Trade) who obtained it illegally.

If you know which Pokémon was the very first one you had with Pokérus, then you may wish to release it. You may also just stop spreading Pokérus to your Pokémon. I'm forgetting whether this worked, but you may be able to wait it out and have it disappear entirely from all Pokémon that had it, and everything's back to normal then.

Hope this helps!

Thanks fightingpikachu, that makes sense since the Ditto was a trade. I wonder how you can get a real strain now? I haven't read about it anywhere. Sometimes what I do is to search new pokemon stuff is I google it under news. Then some very interesting articles come up like for IV breeding and such. It's just difficult sometimes to navigate forums, but that's where the "pros" are hiding out. I'll have to keep reading and if I find anymore info I'll kindly post it on here.

thanks again!

No problem! I will say that back in Diamond Version, I definitely found legit Pokérus by trading on the GTS. I can also be reasonably sure, just considering statistics, that some people are trading legit Pokérus over GTS and Wonder Trade today. However, it's always worthwhile to check whether Pokérus obtained through either of these two methods behaves the way it is supposed to.

(Oh, and just figured I'd give you the heads up, though you probably already know this, but if you find any good information just be careful not to post links here, as the rules don't allow it.)

Yes, I'm aware about links thanks.

So, I found an ungraded Axew in my gave with the virus and breeded a charmander and transferred them both to my game. I'll see if Axew has the legit virus. I'll keep everyone updated.

Archived