Shared Card Collections for families & groups

raistlinxw

I and my two boys all play pokemon together. IRL, we have a single pool of cards that we use to play with in league and tournaments.

However, In PTGCO, each account is required to have our own collection of cards. This makes it really impractical for us to maintain all three accounts with cards, and as such, we are not able to play against each other.

At a minimum, I would like to see a system where family account as defined in Pokemon.com Play Pokemon, can be linked so that they share a single collection of cards/packs/decklists. Even better would be if Pokemon allowed for something like a "friends & family" system where up to 4/5 accounts could share a pool of resources.

Each person would continue to own their own cards/packs/decklists. All cards would be pooled into common collection available to all members of the group. Everyone would be able to build new deck lists against the common pool. If a person leaves the group, they take their cards with them. The system would attempt to maintain existing deck lists against the remaining pool of cards. Decklists could be invalidated if a card is no longer available, similar to what happens now if you trade a card that belongs to a deck.

This would be a huge boon to families, and would be a great first step toward building Pokemon TCG Teams and growing the community.

Thanks, Glen

Great suggestion! I also have 2 kids who play and we all have a single pool of cards in real life but online we have to maintain separate collections. Would be nice....

This would be open to abuse unless they don't allow the child accounts to earn daily log in bonuses or free packs from the trainer challenge.

I personally feel like it's too abuseable... I mean we already have guys with 3 accounts abusing as much as possible smh....

In what way are they abusing? Can you talk a bit more about abuse and how it's hurting you? I don't understand abuse in this context of shared accounts.

Or instead, how about true child accounts? These child accounts wouldn't own any cards, but they could use the parents cards to build decks and participate in tournaments. If the child ever grows up and gets their own full account, they lose access to the parents cards. Would this help with the abuse problem.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to solve the problem of me not being able to play with my kids online because their card collection sucks. I'm not willing to shell out packs for 8 & 12 Genesect-EX cards. 4 should be enough for all of us to play online.

I too believe the pooling of family card resources would be helpful. My account already tracks my children when I log into pokemon.com, so the information is already available to the TCG Online game.

I included the following related comments in another Suggestion thread about bring back older Theme Decks:

Secondly, I'm a PokeDad. The reality is the vast majority of the money spent in my household on Pokemon TCG will be spent on the kids...

For example, I was about to pick up "Frost Ray". We have a physical version of "Frost Ray" in the house, which one of the kids used the online code to activate. I was very much looking forward to purchasing my own virtually copy, so I could get some practice playing it against more experienced players. I am not going to run out and purchases a second physical deck (if I can find one), just so I can get it online...

In one of these card pooles, how would trading work?

i mean you wouldn't want people to trade away cards that belong to others and such..

I'm not sure why you think this should be allowed.

You say that you share your real-life cards with your kids, but also state that you'd like to be able to play against your kids online. What you are asking for would allow you to play a deck with 4 Gen Ex cards against another deck with 4 Gen Ex cards (which would be using 8 at the same time). Can you currently do this in real life? No. You have to take turns using the cards. This can easily be done online as well. Just trade your four Gen Ex cards from one account to the other. It takes about 30 seconds to complete--even less time than it takes you to physically sort and separate your real-life cards. As a fellow Poke-dad, I do this with my daughter and it's not a big deal.

I do not doubt that you have good intentions, but the reality is that many players DO abuse the system.

Archived