VirGen with Dragonite EX Help

Jmw0423

Hi There!

I played the TCG as a kid but only a bit, I recently started again with the release of XY and for a while I've been messing around with a Virizion/Genesect/Raichu deck.

Well now we have Furious Fists and one of my favorite Pokemon as an EX. Dragonite.

Now I love the way Virizion Gensect works. It's simple, fast, and to me, quite fun. I desperately want to use Dragonite in my deck though, it's surprising, fun, and means a lot to me, even if it is only a tech.

Here's a quick deck list I whipped up (always room for help and improvement!) This is also my first real attempt at creating a deck list that is all my own, for my old deck I just sort of looked up decklists. While I know these are popular cards, I came up with the idea without looking at other players lists. Although, I have seen similar decks around.

I've been taking to calling it Wild Charge, for the use of (G) and (L) energy.

Pokemon: 12

Virizion EX x3

Genesect EX x2

Dragonite EX x2

Mewtwo EX x1

Cubchoo x2

Beartic x2 (Furious Fists)

Trainers:35

N x4

Sycamore x4

Skyla x4

Colress x2

Cassius x2

Muscle Band x3

Hypnotoxic laser x4

Ultra Ball x3

Professor's Letter x2

Startling Megaphone x2

Switch x2

ACE SPEC G Booster x1

Virbank City Gym x2

Energy:13

Grass x8

Lightning x3

Plasma x2

Strategy: If you have played Virizion and friends (or against it) the strategy should be pretty obvious. Start with Virizion (hopefully) turn 2 emerald slash, attach to your attackers and go to town. This is the same principle, but surprise! I run Dragonite. This card "saves" my other Pokemon when they get injured via the ability Bust In, ala Keldeo EX. I then have a fresh ready to attack Dragonite, and can Cassius up my injured Mon to save prizes. Mewtwo is in the deck because he's just a good attacker, and Beartic is my response to the loathed Pyroar. I prefer him to Raichu because he ALWAYS get's the K.O. as long as no giant's cape, etc. Also helps with Landorus, which I feel will become more popular with the new strong energy.

Questions/Help: Here are my own concerns and where I would like help.

Is my deck too "clunky?" Am I running to many pokemon for a competitive deck??? Am I too in between archetypes? Where should I cut back or add? I cut one Genesect to maximize chances to start with Virizion, was that a bad call?

there something I'm forgetting? Particularly in the way of trainers, I know Super scoop up is back but it seems to risky with the flip. Scoop up cyclone is a thing too, but is it worth getting rid of G booster?

Various help. This is my first real attempt at building a deck. All constructive comments are welcome.

And finally, would it just be better and more streamlined to play Virizion/Dragonite?

Thank you!:cool:

Why would he do that? Manectric would need the opponent to have 6 Energy in play (5 with a Muscle Band) for its Energy Crush to KO Pyroar, which is most likely what Beartic is there for. As for Beartic, its Igloo Hold can reliably KO Pyroar, even without a Muscle Band. So why would be replace something reliable for something gimmicky? If it's to double as an Yveltal counter, Raichu's better for that.

Why would he do that? Manectric would need the opponent to have 6 Energy in play (5 with a Muscle Band) for its Energy Crush to KO Pyroar, which is most likely what Beartic is there for. As for Beartic, its Igloo Hold can reliably KO Pyroar, even without a Muscle Band. So why would be replace something reliable for something gimmicky? If it's to double as an Yveltal counter, Raichu's better for that.

VirGen decks usually run up to 1 line of stage 1's. Since he is running Dragonite EX (Which already uses lightning energy) , Manectric is a good option, with free retreat JUST like raichu, and raichu is not the best way to go because most of the time the bench would not even be filled to KO Yveltals, yet Pyroar you need Muscle Band AND a full bench. Beartic is a waste of space since pyroar is scarce now anyways, and a 2-2 manectric + booster + red signaling Litleos should be enough to deal with pyroar (unless they run 4-4 pyroar, which raichu cannot handle, and whoever chosing to run 4-4 pyroar chooses to auto lose to many of the other Top Tier decks)

EDIT: Forgot to mention Dragonite EX is already gimmicky.

two options i might use would be the new beartic with igloo hold for 2 colorless energies. It does a base damage of 20, +20 for every energy in the retreat cost. Considering pyroars 2 retreat cost it does 60 water dmg, enough to take out that pesky pyroar. Before the beartic I would use gyarados with howling rampage. With a muscle band, only two prizes need to be had between both prize pools. Which in the case of pyroar, might come quick if your running grass pkmn.

Beartic is already in the deck list in a 2-2 line.

my bad, I got a little excited when I figured out it was the exact amount to kill a pyroar.

Archived